• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:06 pm Reply with quote

(The) Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human (TV)

Source: Light Novels (completed @ 5 volumes, written by Ryousuke Hata, illustrated by Kuma)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Studio A-Cat

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: aristocracy, demi-humans, demons, isekai, medieval, reincarnation, sorcery

Plot Summary: Ike is known as "the strongest magician in the demon king's army" and has single-handedly conquered fortresses. The way he mowed down enemies with his immense magic is truly a "monster" that makes him feared by both allies and foes alike. However, he had a secret that he could not tell other demons: " I'm actually human." He aims for coexistence between demons and humans while the leader of the demon's army hides that he is actually a human.

Air Date & Platform:
June 26, 2024 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:35 am Reply with quote
Not a bad introductory episode. I'll probably hang in there and keep watching for the foreseeable future.

However I did want to comment on the ending format of images streaming through a crystal ball. Recently I had watched Super Dimension Century Orguss, and that series also had ending credits which featured images scrolling through a crystal ball. What is old is new again. Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:47 pm Reply with quote
If it weren't for the relatively recent surge of anime like Chilling in my 30's and I'm Quitting Heroing and Helck that blur the lines between demons and humans and good guys and bad guys, or shows like Tsukimuchi Moonlit and Yada Yada Slime that build empires trying to form a bridge between humans and demi-humans, I'd give this show some bonus points for originality. Or at least, for calling back old shows like Maoyu: Archenemy and Hero, etc.

As it is, I didn't hate the show, but I pretty much gave up on this being a top tier anime when they brought in the low comedy value maid early on. I could feel braincells abandoning ship every time she overreacted. In fact, I'm making up a word for tropes that are supposed to be cutesy and adorable but are just dumb and annoying. Adhorrible. Adhorable?

But I agree it wasn't a bad show. It's more like the show that I keep watching until more, better shows arrive on the same day, and then I find out if I'm enjoying it enough to keep watching or if inertia has set in.

The balancing act where Ike tries to discretely build a small empire where humans and demons work together - at least, that seems to be where the show is going - could be sort of interesting if handled half-way skillfully. And from where I'm watching, handling it halfway skillfully is exactly what the anime is doing.

Oh, and I'm editing to add something I liked since someone went to the trouble to write, draw, and produce this show, and I should be appreciative.

The enigma of the lost civilization (ours maybe) and the demon lord's interest in it could have some promise. The witch commander was also watchable, and not just because she's bursting out of some kind of corset swimsuit. It's not entirely clear if she's a frenemy or semi-crazy or what, and that's fun.

Sidenote: because of all the anime that have had people eating orcs that look like talking pigs, I found myself mentally screaming at the poor second in command. Run! Run! One stray arrow and they'll be treating you like bacon!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:19 am Reply with quote
That was indeed a solid first episode and that word applies to every aspect of it. The show looks solid enough, the premise is not unique at all but seems interesting enough to watch atleast a bit more of and the characters are neither bad enough to dislike or good enough to find interesting, again, solid.

The problem is that solid can turn to boredom pretty quickly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1