• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action One Piece Series' 2nd Season Adds 4 Cast Members for Baroque Works

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:04 am Reply with quote
Finally it begins!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:21 am Reply with quote
David Dastmalchian is a pretty big get for a show that so far has used newer and lesser known actors. Although a few months ago he apparently did a podcast saying he wanted to be part of the show.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:21 pm Reply with quote
So they are actually covering Baroque Works, it's going to be interesting what those Devil Fruits are going to look like.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Most important question is who will be playing Crocodile and Bon Clay as these are significant characters that also reappear in later arcs. Jim Carrey would have been ideal as Bon Clay 20 years ago, I am struggling to think of someone now who has the right balance of comedy and physical litheness.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:09 pm Reply with quote
It's always nice to see David Dastmalchian in these genre shows because he's such a fan and I can see him really committing to it.

Batwing as Mr. 5? Neat.

I'm guessing we'll see casting for Crocodile, Vivi, Robin, and Bon Clay soon...along with Chopper and his whole arc.
Xavon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Still no Jamie Lee Curtis as Dr. Kureha?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:23 am Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:

Wouldn't season 2 be way too early for Dr. Kureha's live-action debut?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:00 am Reply with quote
Thumbs up for David Dastmalchian, a man of a million comic adaptations.

Drum Island happens before the crew lands on Arabasta itself. Kureha will be in the first half of the season. Fun fact: Eggead (chapter 61 hits on Sunday) will just overtake the Arabasta Kingdom Arc, despite being scheduled to end this year. It is 63 chapters long and the conclusion of an overall 117 chapter arc. Getting all that + 5 Logue Town chapters (a deleted subplot from the manga made it into the anime with the Daddy the Father ep making it ambiguous canon) into what will likely again be 8 eps, yeah. Good luck. YYH of course squeezed material from 112 chapters into 5 episodes!

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:05 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Drum Island happens before the crew lands on Arabasta itself. Kureha will be in the first half of the season.

Thanks. It's been a while since I watched/read that part of the story.
Matros

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Drum Island happens before the crew lands on Arabasta itself. Kureha will be in the first half of the season. Fun fact: Eggead (chapter 61 hits on Sunday) will just overtake the Arabasta Kingdom Arc, despite being scheduled to end this year. It is 63 chapters long and the conclusion of an overall 117 chapter arc. Getting all that + 5 Logue Town chapters (a deleted subplot from the manga made it into the anime with the Daddy the Father ep making it ambiguous canon) into what will likely again be 8 eps, yeah. Good luck. YYH of course squeezed material from 112 chapters into 5 episodes!

Rumours are saying they won't adapt Alabasta this season, at least not all of it.
animaters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:46 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

Rumours are saying they won't adapt Alabasta this season, at least not all of it.

huh, makes sense since alabasta is a big arc so they might want to dedicate an entire season to it. still tho, a big problem with serial live action shows like this is how long waited each season is and with how big the source material is. man, it's gonna take a decade to catch up to the manga lol
Matros

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:11 am Reply with quote
animaters wrote:
Matros wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

huh, makes sense since alabasta is a big arc so they might want to dedicate an entire season to it. still tho, a big problem with serial live action shows like this is how long waited each season is and with how big the source material is. man, it's gonna take a decade to catch up to the manga lol

I think the showrunners already confirmed that their intention isn't to cover the whole manga, which of course is impossible to begin with. lol
Xavon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:14 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Xavon wrote:

Wouldn't season 2 be way too early for Dr. Kureha's live-action debut?

Whiskey Peak
Little Garden
Drum Island

If they have already revealed cast for the two previous islands/mini-arcs, it seems unlikely they won't get to the next arc. Little Garden seems like an odd place to stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1