• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya: Next Dimension Manga Ends on July 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amritzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:45 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Toei will now animate it.

That said, I do think that the best course of action would have been to reboot the whole thing, and give it Dragon Quest 2020 anime treatment.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:54 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
I wonder if Toei will now animate it.

That said, I do think that the best course of action would have been to reboot the whole thing, and give it Dragon Quest 2020 anime treatment.

Considering it's already being rebooted by Netflix with questionable quality, I doubt we will see another reboot any time soon.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:30 am Reply with quote
Didn't expect it to end like this. Not sure how to feel about this. I mean it kinda feels now like what happened between the Hades arc and the Tenkaihen movie. Like Kurumada basically told us the Sanctuary arc but with Saints from another generation. Wonder if Kurumada will keep developing the relationship between Seiya and Saori in future works since Toei kept doing it with Tenkaihen's movie as well as Omega (unless Kurumada actually supervised those parts?)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:31 am Reply with quote
After July 4 it will mark the first time in a little over 24 years since Masami Kurumada last had 0 long-running manga in the works. After finishing B't X in "early 2000" he had a short moment of time where he wasn't actively serializing anything, before starting Ring ni Kakero 2 in 2000, followed by Next Dimension's debut in 2006 (and from 2006 to 2008 he worked on both series at the same time). He's technically still making Fuma no Kojirou: Asuka Mumyouchou, but that won't be a long running manga, from all indications, and its entirely possible that the next run of it he'll be doing will be the last.

Still, that means Kurumada was 46 years old when he last had no long-runners actively in the works, and now he's 70. This obviously won't be the end of Saint Seiya, but it'll be interesting to see how he moves forward from here on out.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:52 pm Reply with quote
What a weird series this ended up being. It started out as a prequel set during the previous war against Hades over 200 years ago, then it became a sequel with Kurumada doing his own version of the events of the Heaven Chapter Overture movie (which reportedly deviated significantly from the outline he wrote for it), only with time travel involved, and for a while it seemed the whole thing became an excuse to introduce the forgotten Ophiuchus Gold Saint.

However, it looks like the story got back on track with the last few chapters, and I hope it doesn't take long for Kurumada to announce the much awaited Heaven Chapter manga, which he still seems to be working towards. Maybe Tsunagami Suda, who's been doing a great job channeling Kurumada's style on the Rerise of Poseidon spin-off, could draw it.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
What a weird series this ended up being. It started out as a prequel set during the previous war against Hades over 200 years ago, then it became a sequel with Kurumada doing his own version of the events of the Heaven Chapter Overture movie (which reportedly deviated significantly from the outline he wrote for it), only with time travel involved, and for a while it seemed the whole thing became an excuse to introduce the forgotten Ophiuchus Gold Saint.

However, it looks like the story got back on track with the last few chapters, and I hope it doesn't take long for Kurumada to announce the much awaited Heaven Chapter manga, which he still seems to be working towards. Maybe Tsunagami Suda, who's been doing a great job channeling Kurumada's style on the Rerise of Poseidon spin-off, could draw it.

I wonder how did Toei work with Kurumada when they made Omega because of the handling of the returning cast as veteran Saints. It also intrigues me that Toei further made Seiya and Saori's relationship more personal while in Next Dimension Artemisa only said Saori fell in love with a human. It seems to me Seiya's character didn't have much romance in the manga when compared to the anime adaptations and especially the Abel movie.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:01 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
It seems to me Seiya's character didn't have much romance in the manga when compared to the anime adaptations and especially the Abel movie.

Yeah, if you read the original manga there's literally 0 romantic tension between Seiya & Saori, and it's pretty much purely shown as a warrior & the goddess he fights for. Saori cares for Seiya just as much as she cares for literally all life on Earth, because that's how Athena is portrayed in the manga. Really, the only development between the two is the simple idea that Seiya went from hating Saori with all his soul early on, due to what she represented as Mitsumasa Kido's granddaughter, to being willing to risk his life for her sake as a Saint of Athena. Kurumada has never really been a romance author, and the only times he's explicitly done that kind of thing (outside of small hints here & there in some works) is in both Ring ni Kakero series, and in the first series it wasn't even intentional, originally.

The anime has always added extra romantic tension, whether it's between Seiya & Saori or even purely for appealing to fangirls via visuals, like Shun warming Hyoga's body back up during the battles with the Gold Saints. The latter is rather straightforward looking in the manga, but in the anime they went full on with making it look remotely sensual.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:05 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Considering it's already being rebooted by Netflix with questionable quality, I doubt we will see another reboot any time soon.

Netflix stopped getting involved with that after the first season.

Battle of Sanctuary is on Crunchyroll and officially ended 3 weeks ago so unless Toei announces a Poseidon adaptation, I think we can assume it's over, just like their live-action movie plan after their "spectacular failure" of a first film.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:42 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
danpmss wrote:

Netflix stopped getting involved with that after the first season.

Battle of Sanctuary is on Crunchyroll and officially ended 3 weeks ago so unless Toei announces a Poseidon adaptation, I think we can assume it's over, just like their live-action movie plan after their "spectacular failure" of a first film.

Toei kinda seems to have given up on Seiya considering how we went from the quality of Legend of Sanctuary to the Netflix/Crunchyroll remake. I mean Legend of Sanctuary was a movie but the remake series had few episodes with constant breaks to properly make the episodes. In the remake the Bronze Saints never even wear their helmets and recycle animation a lot even in the opening. There is also how Saintia Sho only lasted one cour to the point some characters were barely explored

A video game gave the Next Dimension storyline their own opening song by Yamada.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:01 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Toei kinda seems to have given up on Seiya considering how we went from the quality of Legend of Sanctuary to the Netflix/Crunchyroll remake. I mean Legend of Sanctuary was a movie but the remake series had few episodes with constant breaks to properly make the episodes. In the remake the Bronze Saints never even wear their helmets and recycle animation a lot even in the opening.

No, that just sounds like traditional split-court scheduling, though the fact that it's all-CG (& technically remained an American/Japanese co-production after Season 1) & Netflix dropping out after Season 1 likely resulted in the longer waits between seasons.

Quote:
There is also how Saintia Sho only lasted one cour to the point some characters were barely explored.

I will always believe Toei was simply using Saintia Sho as a deterrent to keep any other studio from pulling what TMS did & make their own Saint Seiya anime after Soul of Gold ended in 2015. Saintia Sho was announced in 2016, alongside the movie & CG reboot, but didn't actually come out until late 2018, likely only because the other two productions were taking longer than expected.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I will always believe Toei was simply using Saintia Sho as a deterrent to keep any other studio from pulling what TMS did & make their own Saint Seiya anime after Soul of Gold ended in 2015. Saintia Sho was announced in 2016, alongside the movie & CG reboot, but didn't actually come out until late 2018, likely only because the other two productions were taking longer than expected.

I would love to know the story of why that went to Gonzo of all companies with their track record.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1