• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cyber Attack Delays Kadokawa's Releases, Accounting With Niconico Expected to Stay Offline for

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Niconico's definitely not going to recover from this. RIP, I'll name a character in a future comic in your memory! o7

i hope someone's archived the mmd models from the site at least...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to note that Nico Nico Douga (Re:Kari) is only available in Japan (or via VPN). But it's awesome to see the classics for 2007 so well worth finding a vpn
Velluekk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Do those hackers really think that KADOKAWA will pay them money to decrypt their files? Are they aware that ransomware decrypting tools exist? This hacker is probably going to use bitcoin to stay anonymous. LMAO
Velluekk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:44 pm Reply with quote
PipimiOden wrote:
Niconico's definitely not going to recover from this. RIP, I'll name a character in a future comic in your memory! o7

I'm pretty sure they have backups of their system, so it will probably take them a month to fully restore it.
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Velluekk wrote:
PipimiOden wrote:

I'm pretty sure they have backups of their system, so it will probably take them a month to fully restore it.

Yeah but what if the effects of the attack is worse than they thought?
Besides, even if it does come back, will it even be able to have enough users when it comes back to keep it alive? Or will the userbase have fully moved onto youtube by then?
I'm keeping my expectations low and expecting the worst so I don't get as disappointed if anything happens!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:09 am Reply with quote
PipimiOden wrote:
Velluekk wrote:
PipimiOden wrote:

Yeah but what if the effects of the attack is worse than they thought?
Besides, even if it does come back, will it even be able to have enough users when it comes back to keep it alive? Or will the userbase have fully moved onto youtube by then?
I'm keeping my expectations low and expecting the worst so I don't get as disappointed if anything happens!

I think you underestimate the attachment people have to the site.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:18 am Reply with quote
Velluekk wrote:
Do those hackers really think that KADOKAWA will pay them money to decrypt their files? Are they aware that ransomware decrypting tools exist? This hacker is probably going to use bitcoin to stay anonymous. LMAO
Do you realize the lost revenue over the next month or so, in addition to the costs of investigating and repairing systems could run into the millions of yen? If I was a hacker or the person who hired the hacker and just wanted to hurt the company, I'd say their objective is satisfied. If they get additional money out of it, that's just icing on the cake.
Velluekk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:12 am Reply with quote
ChirashiD wrote:
Velluekk wrote:
Do you realize the lost revenue over the next month or so, in addition to the costs of investigating and repairing systems could run into the millions of yen? If I was a hacker or the person who hired the hacker and just wanted to hurt the company, I'd say their objective is satisfied. If they get additional money out of it, that's just icing on the cake.

If the hackers want the user data, it means they intend to sell it to another country like Myanmar, where many hackers and scammers operate, often becoming cyber slaves. Worse still, in Myanmar, they torture people and imprison them if they refuse to hack or scam others. If you receive a job offer from Thailand or Myanmar, avoid it as they are often scams.
Koroto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:22 am Reply with quote
Velluekk wrote:

The entire video system was migrated a few months ago to another infrastructure, so they didn't lose them. I think the month for a restore is somewhat realistic considering they plan to reactivate the various systems gradually (starting from the Nico manga app).

In the info page they said, backup aside, most of the time would be to restore the infrastructure (and testing etc).

By the way, this isn't the first time Nico got targeted. In 2017-2018 it got hit by a series of DDoS. The unfortunate fallout of that incident was a strong bandwith cap on anything coming outside Japan for years.
Tindreal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:06 am Reply with quote
Velluekk wrote:

No such program exists for modern ransomware software, only for a few older ones, but modern hackers probably wont use those old ones.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:57 am Reply with quote
Nothing better happen to Date A Live V, I swear to God! We are SO close!
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:52 am Reply with quote
Velluekk wrote:

Some people just want to cause this shit either for a personal agenda (money, revenge, being told to by some other power, etc.), or just for the hell of it.

I'm just wondering if this will affect any anime they're producing. Date a Live and Train to the End of the World are wrapping up soon. Then you got ENGI, who are owned by Kadokawa, and would likely be affected too.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:04 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

To that end, I believe Niconico was Japan's 2nd most popular video site. The Niconico ecosystem had a pronounced artist presence and that showed in at least 2 sister sites for image and file sharing.

My major concern is from a preservation aspect. There is so much media that originated on Niconico that didn't necessarily make it to other platforms, not to mention outside content (read: files) whose access is inextricably linked to Niconico. There is a legitimate risk that some or all of that is now lost due to the cyberattack.
Velluekk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

To that end, I believe Niconico was Japan's 2nd most popular video site. The Niconico ecosystem had a pronounced artist presence and that showed in at least 2 sister sites for image and file sharing.

My major concern is from a preservation aspect. There is so much media that originated on Niconico that didn't necessarily make it to other platforms, not to mention outside content (read: files) whose access is inextricably linked to Niconico. There is a legitimate risk that some or all of that is now lost due to the cyberattack.

If you review the article once more, you'll see they haven't lost anything as they're simply awaiting the investigation's conclusion.
Koroto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:37 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

There's also the nicopedia (where the knowledge of a lot of Nico's memes and other things is held) and 3D Nico (where the MMD/VRM/etc files are shared). Nico Seiga not only is used for fanart but also for officially produced manga.

While it's true Dwango (Nico's company) has been never been that profitable (to the point Kadokawa basically absorbed it a few years ago) and that the viewership has declined (but the amount of movies made has increased), it's still a major site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2