• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Actor Donald Sutherland Dies at 88

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Be sure to check out his work in Johnny Got His Gun, which Metallica almost squatted on like Angel's Egg.

Last edited by GATSU on Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:48 pm Reply with quote
One of Canada's greats who could steal a scene no matter what he was in. Dude was so righteous he was put on the NSA watch list for protesting Vietnam. Rest well, man.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:12 am Reply with quote
I didn't think ANN would do an article on Donald Sutherland's passing. But then again, I forgot he voiced Dr. Sid for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, and that was animated in Japan so that make sense.

Yeah, the news of his passing hit my smartphone when I was at my Lifetime Fitness doing my workout today. That sad, I liked him in several films including Final Fantasy. He'll be missed. RIP Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:32 am Reply with quote
Despite the insane number of iconic roles, it'll always be Oddball I think of first.

"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves. "
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:18 am Reply with quote
One of the screen's truly great actors has now left us. I remember hearing about Donald Sutherland a lot. From an appearance on the British 1960's series "The Saint," to too many movies and TV shows to count here. He was one of the greats who'll be sorely missed. He also gave us Kiefer who to be honest,has been one of the great gifts to women that's walked this earth.

RIP,Mr. Sutherland. You won't be forgotten any time soon. Sad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:12 am Reply with quote
At first, I thought he had already passed on, but I realised that I was mixing him up with another famous Canadian actor.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:14 am Reply with quote
Great actor died. Rest in peace.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:27 am Reply with quote
Reminds us of this old story. RIP

"How Donald Sutherland’s ‘Animal House’ Deal Cost Him Millions"

Quote:

• Donald Sutherland was instrumental in getting "Animal House" made when he signed on.
  • He did it as a favor to director John Landis but wanted more money instead of points.
  • He went on to regret it as the film made $141 million worldwide against a $3 million budget.

Despite the movie's now classic status, studio execs didn't have much faith in "Animal House" at the time. It wasn't until the production promised [Universal Studios boss] Tanen that they could make the film for $3 million that Universal signed on. However, the studio still wanted a star to sell the movie to audiences.

For Universal, "Saturday Night Live" stand-out John Belushi wasn't enough, so director John Landis went to his friend, Donald Sutherland (a huge star by 1978), and asked him for a favor. A hesitant Sutherland ultimately agreed to be in the film, but only after Landis told him that all his scenes could be done in a day.

“I was basically told I had to deliver a movie star or we were shutting down,” Landis told Variety. “The only movie star I knew was Donald. And because he said yes, that’s why we got a green light. All these actors who got their start with that film, from Kevin Bacon to Tom Hulce, owe him a huge debt.”

The studio and the comedy now had its "star." Yet, there was still the important matter of just how much Sutherland would get paid for the one day on set.

Sutherland wanted more cash upfront rather than a stake in the profits

Given the choice to earn a fee of either 2 percent of the film's gross profits or his typical day rate of $25,000, he took the latter. “I told them, ‘No, you need to pay me my daily rate,’” Sutherland told Variety. “So, I got $25,000 for the day, when I could have ended up with $14 million.”

"Animal House" would become one of the most successful comedies ever, pulling in over $141 million at the box office on the $3 million production budget Universal was initially promised. Adjusted for inflation, that's about $674 million in today's dollars.

$14 million for one day of work (that's $69M in today's dollars) Laughing
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:38 am Reply with quote
RIP.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Anytime his name is mentioned I immediately think about THAT scene in Animal House....butt I digress....
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:56 pm Reply with quote
May his memory be a blessing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:12 pm Reply with quote
RIP Donald Sutherland.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:42 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Despite the insane number of iconic roles, it'll always be Oddball I think of first.

"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves. "

For me it will always be his meme-worthy turn in the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I think it was the first thing I saw him in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1