• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metroid Prime 4: Beyond Switch Game's Announcement Trailer Reveals 2025 Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:10 am Reply with quote
Still feels so far away. Sad
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:15 am Reply with quote
ITS ALAIVE!
ITS ALAIVE!
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It'll be 8 years from announcement to release? Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, and Duke Nukem Forever laugh at your short delay. Meanwhile Beyond Good and Evil 2 is still MIA.

Joking aside, Metroid Prime 4 is a pretty damn good reason for me to buy whatever the Switch's successor is.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is a prime example of wondering if waiting for a Switch 2 version of MP4 is going to mean it looks even better. It's finally here! So long as it's comparable in length and exploration to Prime 2 that's a good measure of how much I'll enjoy the new one.

After Dread's wild ride of a story, I'm actually kind of wishing we got to see more, but this is great too.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:28 pm Reply with quote
While it does look good, at this point, I feel they should be saving some of these big titles for their console,
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:58 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
While it does look good, at this point, I feel they should be saving some of these big titles for their console,

I get what you mean, but they also want to take advantage of the sheer number of Switches out there. For how long this has been in development, it has to have been expensive to make. My guess is that it will do like other games that come out very late in a console generation and see some sort of next-gen upgrade.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:19 pm Reply with quote
It was always going to come out for the Switch and everyone who thought it was going to skip it was just fooling themselves.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:29 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

You mean like announcing this game for one platform and then turning around and announcing it’s also coming out on their successor system?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:43 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

You mean like announcing this game for one platform and then turning around and announcing it’s also coming out on their successor system?
Like announcing the game without mentioning the Switch. It would give the system more launch titles, and they could make the game for the next system's specs without having to make it also run on the Switch.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:48 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Like announcing the game without mentioning the Switch. It would give the system more launch titles, and they could make the game for the next system's specs without having to make it also run on the Switch.

But this game was always planned for the Switch though.

Hell it should’ve been out at least 2-3 years ago.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:18 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
But this game was always planned for the Switch though.

Hell it should’ve been out at least 2-3 years ago.
The original Prime 4 was scrapped, and Retro Studios started working making this new one in 2019, so it was already far into the console's lifespan. It's normal for games to be planned for one system and then changed to another.

It's coming to the Switch, nothing's going to change that now, but it could have been changed, prior to this announcement, to the next system's launch title.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I mean it could’ve but realistically it wasn’t never not going to be on the Switch. And at least for now we don’t know if it won’t also be on the next system “whenever that launches”.

Usually that’s a fate reserved for Zelda games and the odd port of some GameCube/Wii/WiiU title.
light turner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:12 pm Reply with quote
To me it seems obvious it's going to be a cross-platform title like Breath of the Wild was. My only worry is it leaning way too much into the Halo genre.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I will look forward to it. As to switch 2, it really depends on if this is a DS to DSi situation or a Wii to WiiU situation. If it is radically different architecture then there is more chance that it will have an entirely different version as oppossed to a simple slightly better textured and/or better fps.(if there are 2 versions).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Metroid Prime is back and it looks even more amazing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1