• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Announces New Mario & Luigi: Brothership Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:58 am Reply with quote
The fact that we’ve recently got a new Paper Mario game, the Mario RPG remake, and now this? Mario fans who enjoy the non-mainline games are eating well.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:28 am Reply with quote
Looks fun!
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:40 am Reply with quote
Curious how many people, if any, who used to be at AlphaDream are working on this.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:49 am Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
Curious how many people, if any, who used to be at AlphaDream are working on this.

Same here. That could make or break a purchase for me.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:10 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
YackDe wrote:

Same here. That could make or break a purchase for me.

Additionally the writing. The original Superstar Saga game wasn't written as memorable as TTYD, but was still FUN. If the new characters coming in don't have well-written dialogue, that may also be a dealbreaker for me.

That said, wasn't this one of the series that some folks were saying seemed dead? This announcement was a pleasant breath of fresh air and is possibly the best-looking Mario Nintendo has made.
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:46 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
That said, wasn't this one of the series that some folks were saying seemed dead? This announcement was a pleasant breath of fresh air and is possibly the best-looking Mario Nintendo has made.

The company that made the old games is no longer around so it was assumed to be dead. I'm glad to see a new entry in the Mario & Luigi series as I always liked it more than Paper Mario but I hope it turns out good if it's being done by a new team and not any of the old guard. I will say the art style is much nicer than the previous remakes in the series which lost a lot of charm coming off of 2D sprites.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:31 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

The series was never dead simply because Alpha Dream was. Nintendo owns the IP for both Mario games proper and likely the sub-series.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:44 pm Reply with quote
It's rumored Monolift software (Xenoblade Chronicles developer) is developing the game since a lot of Alphadream staff went there when the company shut down. Of course nintendo will keep the developer secret until near release though
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The series was never dead simply because Alpha Dream was. Nintendo owns the IP for both Mario games proper and likely the sub-series.

It's not IP that's key here, it's creators. Just because another team is legally allowed to try if Nintendo asks them to, doesn't mean they'll be able to capture what made it tick.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:36 pm Reply with quote
The Mario and Luigi series lives on! And it looks amazing!
psh_fun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Looks good visually but I am not a fan of the new Mario and Luigi voices. They seem very off and it was kind of distracting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1