• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Café Terrace and Its Goddesses Season 1 Anime Series Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:58 am Reply with quote
Richard's review is nearly identical to my own take on the series, with the only difference being that I'm more ambivalent on whether or not I will watch more. There is an interesting mystery posed by the last scene of the first season, but it's not one I expect the second season to properly answer. Still, if the second season has an involving start (rather than descending back into the bland harem antics that dominated the first half of the first season) then I may continue with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I mean, I actually enjoyed the beginning but I'm a Harem romcom connoisseur so I guess I was the target audience in the first place.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:31 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I mean, I actually enjoyed the beginning but I'm a Harem romcom connoisseur so I guess I was the target audience in the first place.

I liked the whole season in general. I only wished it had been streamed uncensored.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I liked the whole season in general. I only wished it had been streamed uncensored.

Does an uncensored version even exist? I don't think this is supposed to be "that" kind of anime.

Anyway, I was just planning to rewatch this when the review was published. Nice timing.
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

Does an uncensored version even exist? I don't think this is supposed to be "that" kind of anime.

Anyway, I was just planning to rewatch this when the review was published. Nice timing.

The Blu-rays where the same as the broadcast it practicality two scenes at the start of the show and 2 panels in the first chapter of the manga, I don't remember anything beyond that. I guess they chose to do it like that so people wouldn't think it's that type of show. Makes ZERO difference for me, liked the show and will watch season 2 next month.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:30 am Reply with quote
So basically it goes from trashy 90's harem to trash late 2000's Monogatari style harem. Still a bad uninspired harem, but of a different flavour in the second half. As if the author really was just trying to copy all the popular harem tropes across the years around them. I like that the reviewer straight up admits they wouldn't have bothered had they not gotten paid, says it all really.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:10 am Reply with quote
It's like The Quintessential Quintuplets but better. Loved every second and can't wait for second season! I feel bad for anyone that misses out on this gem.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Aerdra wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

The Blu-rays where the same as the broadcast it practicality two scenes at the start of the show and 2 panels in the first chapter of the manga, I don't remember anything beyond that. I guess they chose to do it like that so people wouldn't think it's that type of show. Makes ZERO difference for me, liked the show and will watch season 2 next month.

Episodes 1, 2 and 11 have ray lights that appear to hide breasts. It is not a deal breaker, but I wanted to see those beautiful, young women in all their glory.
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Glordit wrote:
Aerdra wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

Episodes 1, 2 and 11 have ray lights that appear to hide breasts. It is not a deal breaker, but I wanted to see those beautiful, young women in all their glory.
It does seem like Seo Kouji's bosses had some form of policy change. Both the anime adaptations of Fuuka and A Town Where You Live had uncensored nudity in it. All of his manga had uncensored nudity in it. Even this one had uncensored nudity in the manga in the first chapter. It seems like the anime was animated with the intent of it being uncensored but along the ways the bosses decided to keep it censored (as it seems they did with the manga, cause even that has scenes were stuff looks airbrushed out). I guess the real test will be the "Chapter 200" special, which is where Seo traditionally takes his cast of heroines and creates officially sanctioned hentai.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:32 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
It's like The Quintessential Quintuplets but better. Loved every second and can't wait for second season! I feel bad for anyone that misses out on this gem.

That is taking things a little far (although I may be biased since I was on Team Yotsuba from the beginning). The reason I like the Quints the best is the absence of cringe behavior from MMC Fuutarou Uesugi, but Hayato Kasukabe is not too bad in that respect.

Speaking of the Quints, we get the VAs for Nino Nakano and Ichika Nakano in Season 2 as two of the rival café girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1