• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: T・P BON Season 1 Anime Series Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:51 am Reply with quote
I have one word to describe this show...BORING!
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I really like the series, my only issue is the lack of world-building and character development.

Bon as a character doesn't really grow much from how he was in the first episode, the fact that he has no issue working with people who were ready to erase him moments ago is kind of ridiculous. It's also funny how Ream and the other agents swear up and down that erasing someone isn't the same thing as killing (something they aren't allowed to do) even though it's objectively far worse.

The series also doesn't really bother to explain why the time patrol puts so much effort into saving unimportant people or how they even decide on a target. The characters just go along with it without questioning it and the audience is forced to do so as well.

We also learn frustratingly little about Ream and I really hope they improve on that in the second season.

Other than these nitpicks it really is a fun series.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of hoping there would be some romance between the leads...
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There are even scenes where they change into their underwear in each other's presence without any of the rote embarrassment or prolonged blushes so prevalent in other anime.

I couldn't help but notice the irony that when Ream undresses or is seen in a bikini, we see it from Bon's point of view but in no way does he ogle her or act drawn to her--meaning they were all male-gaze moments to the benefit of the viewers who Bon doesn't even really reflect.

That aside, kinda glad to hear this is getting a season 2, because in addition to this being an interesting series the out-of-the-blue ending was rather blunt.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The episode where they were in Greece was the perfect example of why this series was definitely not for kids. These days, they could've make the art style modern like Parasyte or Dororo, and maybe make it more mature.

But making it more faithful to how Fujiko F. Fuji's original manga looked is a good choice, because it can feel watching very familiar looking style for kids' anime but the content is rated R.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting something more kid-friendly like Doraemon, but I have to admit that some of the violence and situations caught me off guard. Still, I enjoyed the show, perhaps because I kind of like time travelling stories, which now that I remember where prevalent in Doraemon. Speaking of Doraemon, it's kind of funny that in the LA Spanish dub Buyoyan is vocied by the Same VA who voices Doraemon
andramus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
The episode where they were in Greece was the perfect example of why this series was definitely not for kids.

Weren't there two episodes set in Greece or Greece-adjacent? There was the one in Crete with the human sacrifices to the "Minotaur" and then the battle of Marathon between Athens and Persia.

Personally the episode I thought had the most confronting scenes was the witch trial one.

"Not for kids" is a very broad label that gets thrown around a lot and I never know what age range people are talking about when they say that. Something unsuitable for a 5 year old might not be an issue for a 10 or a 12 year old. Of course not every child is the same so assigning ages to these things is only a guide and parents/guardians need to decide for themselves what they consider suitable for their child.

My mum decided fairly early on to not let my brothers and I watch anything she felt depicted glorified violence. So all the cartoons we'd been watching prior to that decision got banned - He-Man, Astro Boy, Voltron, Transformers, Thundercats etc. Those were dark days. On the other hand she didn't care if we watched something with nudity in it or a PG rated sex scene (couple in bed kissing lying on top of each other) like you would see on Days of Lives or the like.

I don't know if she would have let us watch this show at a young age or not. It doesn't really glorify violence but she might have thought some of the deaths were too gory. I noticed some of the Cretans in the Minotaur episode were bare-breasted but unlike some parents my mum wouldn't have cared about that.

In my opinion depending on the child and parent/guardian's preferences I think a lot of 10 year olds could comfortably watch this series possibly with parental guidance (which is what PG stands for). By 12 and up I think it would mostly be fine. I think the series being animated dilutes some of the confronting nature of the material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1