• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Acquires Theatrical, Home Video Rights to DAN DA DAN Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
That's a bit surprising. I guess that means they're interested in actively pursuing more TV licenses. Hopefully that means stuff like Conan and Nadia have done okay for them and they want to throw their hat into the ring for modern titles.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, actual best case scenario here. That means the series will probably get both a solid dub and a disk release down the road. GKIDS is great with movies, I'd love them to be able to pick up quality series here and there as well.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:42 pm Reply with quote
So Netflix will stream it while GKIDS will release it on DVD?

Is GKIDS also handling the dub?
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:04 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
So Netflix will stream it while GKIDS will release it on DVD?

Is GKIDS also handling the dub?

Its also streaming on Crunchyroll, so they could do a dub as well.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Each time I see GKIDS… I keep thinking it’s them acquiring the rights but now it’s going to get censored to hell to try and be a anime for children to watch.. and after reading - few chapters of the manga… this is not for children at all!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Each time I see GKIDS… I keep thinking it’s them acquiring the rights but now it’s going to get censored to hell to try and be a anime for children to watch.. and after reading - few chapters of the manga… this is not for children at all!

Dude, where in the world did you get that idea? GKids as a company has NEVER altered any of the shows they've acquired. You're probably mistaking them for 4Kids, who went bankrupt years ago and no longer exists. Also, GKids have licensed plenty of stuff that clearly isn't aimed at children.

I'm personally not a fan of this series, but seriously, GKids has been firing on all cylinders and I really hope this new venture works out well for them.
Matros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

I sincerely hope you confused them with 4Kids.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:41 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

Dude, where in the world did you get that idea? GKids as a company has NEVER altered any of the shows they've acquired. You're probably mistaking them for 4Kids, who went bankrupt years ago and no longer exists. Also, GKids have licensed plenty of stuff that clearly isn't aimed at children.

I'm personally not a fan of this series, but seriously, GKids has been firing on all cylinders and I really hope this new venture works out well for them.

I know this for 4Kids.. but it’s just their name GKids that continues to make me think they going to dumb it down… I did not say they going to.. but it’s just their name itself that always makes me think about it..

Matros wrote:
I sincerely hope you confused them with 4Kids.

No I knew about.. please read what I just wrote here
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote
^After reading your comment and re-reading it, it still sounds to me like you are saying it will be censored (to the point of it sounding 100% as a fact). I believe the "tone" of your comment coming across as mostly negative is why I interpret it that way.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:53 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
^After reading your comment and re-reading it, it still sounds to me like you are saying it will be censored (to the point of it sounding 100% as a fact). I believe the "tone" of your comment coming across as mostly negative is why I interpret it that way.

If I sound like that then I apologies... They most likely won't but AGAIN the only reason is that because of the name of their company... WHEN I look at the name... It makes me think that its a company that would focus on such things (Or focus on licensing shows and censoring them down to be more children friendly in the US) when in reality they don't.... The name is just Off putting... THAT IS ALL... Clearly I am in the wrong because I am getting DMs and being put on blast because of off putting feeling I get when I see the Name of there company and the anime that they have licensed regardless of what anime they licensed in the past that I really did not care about.

I want all for the best for Dan Da Dan as I am quite interested to watch the show when it comes out later this year.

I am not trying to compare GKids to 4Kids... I knew something happen to 4Kids because I have not seen their name in like forever...
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

Yeah the name is confusing at times lol.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:31 pm Reply with quote
PipimiOden wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

Yeah the name is confusing at times lol.

THANK YOU! Someone that gets me...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means that GKIDS will be able to release on BD Devilman Crybaby, Little Witch Academy, Godzilla SP, Pluto and other great stuff stuck on Netflix.
InfinityDude88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly always a little sad when G kids licensees an anime because it means chances are it won't get a similar release outside of the US. At least when Crunchyroll licenses a movie I can be sure it will get an equal international release.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know this for 4Kids.. but it’s just their name GKids that continues to make me think they going to dumb it down… I did not say they going to.. but it’s just their name itself that always makes me think about it..

No, GKids is not the kind of company that dumbs down whatever they license. Their name is just an acronym for "Guerrilla Kids International Distribution Syndicate." Rest assured, they always treat their properties with respect. Hell, this is the same company that put out Unicorn Wars, an adult-rated movie that literally has uncensored bloody violence and male bear nudity, and a French movie, The Girl Without Hands, which has uncensored female nudity and on-screen lactation. Not even kidding. If that doesn't tell you what their stance is, I don't know what will.

Yeah their name is confusing, but they're not changing it any time soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2