• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Plus Anime's Blu-ray Disc Ships This Fall in U.S., U.K.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Hm... looks like it'll be expensive. I want that book, tho.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Hm... looks like it'll be expensive.
My guess is £150.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Will there be a Standard Edition if you just want the show on Bluray? Also, does this mean that Anime Limited's Macross Zero release will come to the US as well? Plus is a legend that's somehow become even more visually remarkable with age, but I want to see Zero for the first time.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Will there be a Standard Edition if you just want the show on Bluray? Also, does this mean that Anime Limited's Macross Zero release will come to the US as well? Plus is a legend that's somehow become even more visually remarkable with age, but I want to see Zero for the first time.

It's typically the case that if AL release an ultimate or collector's edition of a title, they'll release a standard amaray either at the same time or several months down the road. That should apply here, although with how unique & complicated the Macross license is, anything is possible. I'm personally not expecting a LoGH premium-only release situation, & fully plan on buy a regular release once it's available.

As for Zero, nobody knows right now. You would think they'd advertise it as being an international release, like they did with Plus, so it's likely either a case of those rights not being finalized yet, or the ova will find its way to the states through a different publisher.

All I recall of the show itself was that it had the most stunning high-quality digipaint visuals for its time, and also that it was super hippy-dippy. That was around the time Kawamori seemed to be involved with an eco-cult; aka the Earth Maiden Arjuna period of his career.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:23 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Will there be a Standard Edition if you just want the show on Bluray?

For American release? Not likely since they didn't do one for Bartender like they did for the UK 3 years ago.

For UK release? Looks like it...

Quote:
In North America, the Macross Plus Ultimate Edition will be available exclusively via the Crunchyroll Store, while UK customers will be able to purchase the product exclusively from the AllTheAnime.com storefront. Pre-orders for the release will open on Thursday, June 6th at 5PM BST / 12PM EST / 9AM PST. In France, customers will be able to purchase an exclusive Macross Plus Ultimate Edition French version limited to 100 units through our AllTheAnime.fr online shop, with pre-orders opening at the same time.

Additional editions of Macross Plus will also be available for France and other European territories to follow, with more details to be confirmed later in the year.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope that it's not as expensive as I imagine it's going to be Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm using Anime Limited's Ultimate Edition of Perfect Blue as a price guide so I'm gonna guess it'll be around $100-$120 USD.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Exclusive to CR in NA? Let me guess: they still haven't changed their Home Video policy despite eating Rightstuf who shipped internationally?

Welp. So much for getting the series' Western release on Bluray. Does anybody have any experiences with the JP releases?
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 11:48 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Welp. So much for getting the series' Western release on Bluray. Does anybody have any experiences with the JP releases?

OVA - Includes Manga dub with a different dub for it's last episode, no subtitles.
Movie - Includes subs with a new translation that's full of Engrish (meaning it's wonky).

All in the same Japanese box set while this new release is supposed to come with both dubs & subs.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 2:08 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Exclusive to CR in NA? Let me guess: they still haven't changed their Home Video policy despite eating Rightstuf who shipped internationally?

You can buy it from All the Anime directly. Never had an issue with them shipping my discs to Australia.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:

You can buy it from All the Anime directly. Never had an issue with them shipping my discs to Australia.

I would love to but according to their website, their BDs are Region B (unless that's just for labeling purposes and their BDs will still work on Region A players) Despite not living in Canada anymore or the US, my stuff is all Region A.

That's what makes this whole Crunchyroll/Rightstuf situation piss me off significantly. At the very least support your entire BD/DVD region.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 8:30 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
I would love to but according to their website, their BDs are Region B (unless that's just for labeling purposes and their BDs will still work on Region A players)

I'll have to check my copy of A Place Further than the Universe if it can be played in region A (as I flicked to region B as I was watching something else prior, also accidently put in a Discotek disc and it played in region B mode), but I'd seriously doubt they reauthor the discs for the US market to be playable on region A and then do a separate region B reauthor for the UK. I think you're safe if you order it. I'd invest in a blu-ray player that can change region codes as you're missing out on a lot of titles not released in the US.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 3:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Fluwm wrote:
Hm... looks like it'll be expensive.
My guess is £150.

It might be less, IIRC ATA's UE's vary from about £100 to £300 (bebop with the case).

The UE's are one of the reasons I keep my membership with them open, it usually pays for itself with about the second or third CE I buy, or one UE.

I'm looking forward to this release as Macross Plus has been one of my favourites for over 20 years and it should be a nice upgrade from the DVD set I bought back in 2002.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I've been waiting forever for this release. I never owned Macross Plus on DVD because I read/heard that it was just a bad VHS transfer. I had the VHS tape of the movie version. I first saw Macross Plus (the OVA) on the Action Channel.

I hope that: 1. It's not too expensive ($200+) and 2. It can fit on a shelf/in a plastic drawer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1