• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Astrea Record Novel One Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 11:11 am Reply with quote
Even after reading this volume, your review seems to be assuming this miniseries is covering the Astrea Family history already covered in v14 of the main series, but these three volumes are telling an earlier turning point in their history--and frankly, they're bit players in this story.

(Also, why is the credits pulling in the original character designer but not the artist for this volume? I assuming that's a technical failing, based on previous comments, but you might need to manually add the actual illustrator's name somewhere.)

Having read all three volumes in Japanese, I'd go so far as to call this just about the worst thing Omori's ever written, and really only for die-hard completionists. Less because it's dark and brutal but just because the villain's junior high school moral dilemmas are soooooo fundamentally stupid it's just not worth reading any scenes they're in.

The other video game novelization, Argonaut, is fantastic, though; hopefully Yen picks that one up, too.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Even after reading this volume, your review seems to be assuming this miniseries is covering the Astrea Family history already covered in v14 of the main series, but these three volumes are telling an earlier turning point in their history--and frankly, they're bit players in this story.

(Also, why is the credits pulling in the original character designer but not the artist for this volume? I assuming that's a technical failing, based on previous comments, but you might need to manually add the actual illustrator's name somewhere.)

Having read all three volumes in Japanese, I'd go so far as to call this just about the worst thing Omori's ever written, and really only for die-hard completionists. Less because it's dark and brutal but just because the villain's junior high school moral dilemmas are soooooo fundamentally stupid it's just not worth reading any scenes they're in.

The other video game novelization, Argonaut, is fantastic, though; hopefully Yen picks that one up, too.

I agree that I am one such completionist and yeah I cant deny how ridiculously stupid the villain's issues are but aside from that I do enjoy how painfully dark and brutal this is considering how the main story's arcs usually go. And this is probably just me but I like some of the sub plots because it shows what the other active characters in the present were doing during this time like the other Freya executives. DanMemo only featured Ottar and Allen iirc.

P.S Im surprised Yen hasn't picked up Argonaut yet
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:

I know it's covering an earlier turning point - I'm sorry if that was unclear in the review. I meant to say that this storyline complements what we already know about Astrea Familia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1