• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, September 25-October 1 [2023-10-07]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:44 pm Reply with quote
For the 2nd week in a row and the 3rd time overall (first time) Pikman has been overthrown factually and historically. This time by the end of fiscal period battle between Fate, DQ, and Ys.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:04 am Reply with quote
Huh I for sure thought that the Switch version of Y's X would sell better. Oh well Pikmin 4 Is still selling well (I thought would not move over another 15k units) so all is well.
juaifan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:21 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Huh I for sure thought that the Switch version of Y's X would sell better. Oh well Pikmin 4 Is still selling well (I thought would not move over another 15k units) so all is well.

Monstrum Nox has issues even on the PS4 so I assume the Switch version was even worse. If nothings censored in the PS5 version, then the PS5 version is probably better to get due to performance and graphics. Or the PC version.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:19 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

Well, just because the Switch is the most popular system in Japan it does not mean that all third-party software is going to sell better. I do not know much about the Ys series, but it seems it's pretty small compared to other RPGs like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Persona and Tales of and its developers, Nihon Falcom, never had that strong of a connection with Nintendo and never cultivated an audience for their games in their systems. In fact, I remember reading some articles where one of Falcom's producers was still unsure about developing for Nintendo hardware, since all of their success came from PSP games, sometimes it feels like many third-party companies have a sort of loyalty to Sony, so it's clear that the main audience for Ys is still on the PS, with the Switch version being there as an option for those who don't own a Sony console.
Leaving that aside, those Dragon Quest's numbers are not good, I know Infinity Strash is tie-in game of the Adventure of Dai manga/anime, but Enix should have at least put some effort in its quality. Those are some of the lowest numbers for a DQ spin-off in quite a while. We still have not seen any news about Dragon Quest XII and the HD-2D remake of DQIII, I think Enix has mismanaged the DQ brand in the last few years after the release of DQ XI S, and looking at Square-Enix's last reports about declining sales that's not good at all.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

Well, just because the Switch is the most popular system in Japan it does not mean that all third-party software is going to sell better. I do not know much about the Ys series, but it seems it's pretty small compared to other RPGs like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Persona and Tales of and its developers, Nihon Falcom, never had that strong of a connection with Nintendo and never cultivated an audience for their games in their systems. In fact, I remember reading some articles where one of Falcom's producers was still unsure about developing for Nintendo hardware, since all of their success came from PSP games, sometimes it feels like many third-party companies have a sort of loyalty to Sony, so it's clear that the main audience for Ys is still on the PS, with the Switch version being there as an option for those who don't own a Sony console.
Leaving that aside, those Dragon Quest's numbers are not good, I know Infinity Strash is tie-in game of the Adventure of Dai manga/anime, but Enix should have at least put some effort in its quality. Those are some of the lowest numbers for a DQ spin-off in quite a while. We still have not seen any news about Dragon Quest XII and the HD-2D remake of DQIII, I think Enix has mismanaged the DQ brand in the last few years after the release of DQ XI S, and looking at Square-Enix's last reports about declining sales that's not good at all.
You ain't wrong when it comes to Y's on Nintendo systems. I just assumed it would sell better because the Switch has WAY more units then PS5. I have the whole series on PC and 8 on Switch. Assuming your right it being PS seller in Japan the USA fanbase is mostly PC because you can own them all on that Platform (except 5 which has never been released here and needs a remake badly which Falcom wants to do). You should play them if you get the chance.

And yeah those DQ numbers are a huge red flag. And SE is doubling down on AAA games when most of their best stuff has been their A-AA stuff (still waiting on a HD 2.5 FFVI remake) is cause for concern as well.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
You ain't wrong when it comes to Y's on Nintendo systems. I just assumed it would sell better because the Switch has WAY more units then PS5. [...]
And yeah those DQ numbers are a huge red flag. And SE is doubling down on AAA games when most of their best stuff has been their A-AA stuff (still waiting on a HD 2.5 FFVI remake) is cause for concern as well.

As I said before, some people assume that just because the Switch has become one of the best-selling consoles in Japan and has doubled the numbers of the PS4 and PS5 combined there, games must sell better on the system, but it's not as simple as that. Nintendo's own games are the ones that benefited the most of the Switch's popularity, third-party games have the most difficulties in attracting a new audience since due to years of developers not releasing their games on Switch there isn't a huge audience for their games, especially games of certain genres that aren't as popular, only big titles like Monster Hunter: Rise, Minecraft and surprise hits that were designed with the Switch in mind like Momotaro Dentetsu have managed to reach selling numbers on par with Nintendo's titles. Some of the issues stem from some developers having some biases against Nintendo, like the Yakuza developers claiming there isn't an audience for their games on Switch, CyberConnect 2 not releasing Demon Slayer: Hinokami Chronicles on day 1 despite the polls he conducted saying most of the people who wanted to play the game wanted it on the Switch, and Falcom themselves taking a lot of time to developr for the Switch. There's also the issue of the Switch itself being underpowered, but I don't know if these problems will be solved with the Switch's successor
Regarding DQ, at least there's a DQ Monster game in the future and it seems Yuji Hori confirmed the DQIII remake is progressing well, but that remake's appeal is limited to Japan, unless S-E gives it enough marketing I don't think it'll perform well in the West, DQIII doesn't have the same nostalgia attached to it like other old-school JRPGs, even the Live-a-Live remake managed to capture the attention of some people because of its cult status
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1