• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus Reveals Persona 5 Tactica Spinoff Game for Release on November 17

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
utawoutau

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:52 am Reply with quote
Why do P5 spin-offs act like P5 Royal didn’t happen?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:01 am Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:

It's a good question. I can understand the idea of not wanting to leave out people that didn't play Royal, but at the same time, that version is a replacement for the original version. It sort of contradicts the point of adding to the game if it ends up not mattering later.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:17 am Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:

It was understandable for Strikers (though it puts it in an odd place considering it happens after P5's conclusion), as that game was under development at the same time as Royal (it released several months after Royal in Japan). Q2 preceded Royal's release, so that's a given.

As for Tactica, I don't think the trailers make it clear when it takes place yet. If it happens mid-game, after Haru's recruitment, they can reasonably ignore Royal's extra content. Kind of like how the Q series pulled characters in from the middle of their games.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:03 am Reply with quote
This looks cute. A tactical Persona game seems like it could be pretty fun and I'm glad this is getting dubbed compared to PQ2.

I'm just wondering if we'll ever get that P5 Arena game and whether they might throw in Akechi and Sumi as playable characters in this.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:44 am Reply with quote
From what I've see there's going to be other characters as DLC characters so I assume Kasumi, and others, will be included if you're willing to pay for them.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:12 am Reply with quote
I thought Kasumi was a temporary member of the Phantom Thieves? I get that her not being in Strikers was due to it being before Royal, however was she still apart of them after they returned to reality.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing this is coming to switch/PS4 too.

I don't see any of the Persona rereleases as 'canon' safe for FES's The Answer. The new stuff interwoven throughout is always messily tacked on, especially new supporting characters.

Strikers was billed as a direct sequel and Tactica feels more like the irrelevant Q and dancing games, just something for fans. I don't think the Arena games matter either.

No Kasumi likely is because alternate timeline wise, Tatica is set before the finale of P5 classic, and even before Crow joins the Phantom thieves, so long before Kasumi's involvement as part of the team.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1