• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Indie Animation Staff Reveals Gnarly CG Techniques Used To Achieve “Anime” Look

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Why would you want to go out of your way with 3DCGI to recreate the horrendous 2D "sidemouth"?
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Why do anime character have blue hair, large eyes, and thin necks?

Because it's an art style choice.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, it's a good attempt, but there's just something off about the animation. And it's not the character models either, I think it's just that nothing feels like it has any weight to it, like everything is made out of feathers. Even the floating objects which clearly aren't supposed to have weight don't feel like they have any bulk either. Like you've got this giant guy and he's walking around the environment like he weighs the same as my house cat.

I feel like if they could fix that issue, it'd be an interesting watch.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Gotta admire how these models are broken to give it that anime accurate look. Keep in mind, it doesn't matter which, "realistic" (intact models) or "anime accurate" (broken and distorted), is better, it's how it's used that matters.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:06 am Reply with quote
Great article, thanks! I would never have guessed the level of distortion to the 3D models needed to produce to get those face visuals...
Dayraven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why do anime character have blue hair, large eyes, and thin necks?

Because it's an art style choice.

Those are things that were directly imported from stylistic choices in manga, though, while sidemouth (and the general tendency of anime characters to move their mouths without moving their jaws) was a shortcut based on a limitation of cel animation that doesn’t apply to CGI.

Going to these lengths to replicate it shows it has become a stylistic choice by now, but maybe it’s one to rethink.
filus69

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:25 am Reply with quote
If you want to know what happens if you don't use any of those clever techniques... Check out Ex-Arm. Just be sure to protect your eyes in case if you want to gouge them out by reflex
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
It really is amazing how it’s these imperfections that shape people’s view of certain art styles.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I believe some gamed like Jojo's and Guilty Gear do the same thing. Basically distorting the CG model to have more stylistic impact and imitate 2D trchniques.

For those asking why do this? Well 2D animation and 3D while sharing animation principles are two completely different skillsets. So if you only know CG and want it to match 2D aesthetics, then this is a solution. And not just in anime, traditional western animation and comic book art also use similar 'cheats' for impact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1