• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Reveals Chrono Cross Switch Remaster for April 7 Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, that looks really bad.

Emulator shaders like CRT Royale are far better.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:10 pm Reply with quote
i cant express how hyped i got when i heard this announcement.
Chrono cross is the reason i started buying up jrpgs and got into anime at all.

i had to of played this game well over 50 times since its release and i can hardly wait to go and play this, april cant come quick enough.
though i only wish they could of bundled this with chrono trigger.
Rare286

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited for this! I never got to play the original game, so this plus the extra game included are going to be very fun! I hope they release a physical version in the west, but I bet it most likely is just going to be released in japan or asia, which I will buy, as long as it has english support.
Mune

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:19 pm Reply with quote
A note not mentioned, is that this game has also been announced for PS4, XboxOne, and PC, with the same release date, not just the Switch.

I'm a bit upset that it wasn't a Chrono Trigger Remaster...I'm aware that it got the DS treatment, but maybe down the line, we'll actually get one for a home console, not a handheld.

At least this tells us, the fans, that the Chrono franchise has not been abandoned by SE.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:26 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
A note not mentioned, is that this game has also been announced for PS4, XboxOne, and PC, with the same release date, not just the Switch.

I'm a bit upset that it wasn't a Chrono Trigger Remaster...I'm aware that it got the DS treatment, but maybe down the line, we'll actually get one for a home console, not a handheld.

At least this tells us, the fans, that the Chrono franchise has not been abandoned by SE.

Chrono trigger is arguably the greatest looking 16 bit rpg ever made.

Remake, ala FF7? Okay you have my interest (the rpg system had its limitations)
But a graphical remaster or 3d remaster of the same game? No. It'd be like trying to repaint the Mona Lisa in Photoshop.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:59 am Reply with quote
Trying to run Chrono Cross for PS1 on a modern system is a bit of a technical $h!-show due to the way it swaps resolutions. I remember emulating it waaaaay back in the day, there's a lot of segments where the game would hang, playing it in a PS2 actually works really great, but there's a spot or two where the PS2 hardware busts a very important fade/transparency effect in a particular scene....

This is really great, as I believe most folks enjoying Radical Dreamers were using fan patches, and Chrono Cross itself is one of the more graphically impressive PS1 games that will hopefully find something nearer to perfection with a remaster - if they can remove the in-combat engine slowdown, I'll be happy.

....just make sure to play Radical Dreamers last, as it's the final, conclusive spoiler-filled ending to Chrono Trigger & Cross and WILL ruin the surprises if you finish it first.

(Slight correction to the article: Radical Dreamers leans more text RPG than visual novel - there is actual combat and dungeoneering, and if I recall, multiple endings based on the paths you take?)
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:48 am Reply with quote
Personally I wouldn't want to see a FF7 style Chrono Trigger remake, but I'd love to see what it looks like in 2D-HD.

As for CC, I'll probably be picking this up on Switch or PS4. Since it's only digital though I'll probably wait for a sale unless I have the sudden urge to replay it
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:32 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

Trying to run Chrono Cross for PS1 on a modern system is a bit of a technical $h!-show due to the way it swaps resolutions. I remember emulating it waaaaay back in the day, there's a lot of segments where the game would hang, playing it in a PS2 actually works really great, but there's a spot or two where the PS2 hardware busts a very important fade/transparency effect in a particular scene....

Well, at least the emulation runs very well on Series console:

chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:51 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Honestly, that looks really bad.

Emulator shaders like CRT Royale are far better.

I was honestly thinking the same, but the quality of life improvements have me interested. No random battles and an updated soundtrack (I consider Chrono Cross’ OST to be the best from the ps1 era) are decent treats. I would love a digital art collection like saga frontier did with its remaster.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:50 am Reply with quote
It looks fine to me, as in it looks nice but hasn't messed up the visuals. I like how they've kept the text boxes instead of swapping them out for generic flat coloured ones like they did in FFIX.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Chrono trigger is arguably the greatest looking 16 bit rpg ever made.

Remake, ala FF7? Okay you have my interest (the rpg system had its limitations)
But a graphical remaster or 3d remaster of the same game? No. It'd be like trying to repaint the Mona Lisa in Photoshop.

If the original game weren’t 26 years old and hadn’t been released 7 different times with the same look and what not. On top of how we’ve been in this period of rereleasing games (old & not that old) with minimal changes to their appearance I’d get this rationale.

Plus while I haven’t looked too much into it wasn’t the fan remake they shut down supposed to be in modern (at the time) graphics. And people til this day still have hurt feelings about that.
Thorge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:22 pm Reply with quote
This is the old game they bring to playstation and xbox? Not chrono trigger, not the pixel remasters, this one At least i can play chrono trigger on my apple tv with a controller, not such luck with the final fantasys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1