• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sorcerous Stabber Orphen dub changes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:55 am Reply with quote
So I read in an old review, that the dub for Orphen does a lot of script changes, I've already finished watching the show, so can anyone give me a list of the biggest changes.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
If you've seen or are familiar with the Ghost Stories dub, you may have an idea of what to expect. While Orphen's dub doesn't completely strip the dialogue down to its bare plot framework and replace the rest with raunchy comedy and American cultural references, it comes close. Among the highlights:

* All spells are replaced with other dialogue, often insults against Orphen's opponent. The very first line of the series, "Sword of Light, whom I do release!" becomes "Let's play Spin the Bottle."
* Volcan's dialogue is largely switched out for something completely different, especially his nonsensical death threats like "I'll surround you with adorable kittens and have them kill you with their cuteness!"
* Some instances of slang that maybe wasn't outdated at the time, but definitely made the dub feel dated before too long, like "Go dragon, go dragon, it's your birthday!"
* Some of the usual Steven Foster reactionary social views, like transphobia towards a character that appears midway through the first season.

One example from Orphen Revenge, which tones down the changes to some degree, but still has Foster acolyte Kathleen Moynihan on the script writing:

Japanese
Orphen: So you're finally showing your true colors?
You probably intended to tire me out by making Volcan's words reality, and then to kill me...
But that's too damn bad!
Armor of Halos, that I do spin!
Spire of the Sun, that I do form!

English
Orphen: I'm glad to see that you're ready to finish this.
Let me guess, you were going to keep me busy with all the creatures Volcan created until I was too tired to fight you.
Well I'm on to you now!
Never imagined myself... fighting a tree!
So why don't you make like a tree... and get outta here!

The dub is generally entertaining, but if you value dialogue that's at least somewhat grounded in the original Japanese script, you'll be disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1