• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"curtain-raiser" promotional DVD/Trailers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Lately I've noticed that there seem to fairly lengthy anime trailers that contain content that is not in the actual anime itself. This is happening with a lot of the Geneon trailers lately.

For example, the Geneon US release Fate/Stay Night trailer is 3 minutes long, in completely raw Japanese (trailer text), and 70% of it is of ultra high-quality material not used in the series itself, it seems. I haven't seen the whole series yet, but for example some of the Lancer battle scenes and Rin/Archer introductory scenes have passed already and were different in the actual TV series.

Geneon also has two US release Disgaea anime trailers. One is about 1 minute long and consists of actual material from the show (and is of poor quality, like the show itself is). This trailer isn't on too many Geneon discs though, I only have it on this free 'Geneon sampler DVD' that was distributed in comic stores a few months ago. The other trailer is about 4 minutes long and consists of material that is of superior animation quality, NONE of which is used in the actual show (Geneon actually took the time to dub this trailer in English, oddly). In this trailer for example Etna is the one who wakes up Prince Laharl (which from what I hear is how it happens in the game), but in the anime itself Flonne wakes him up instead. This version Disgaea trailer is found on multiple domestic Geneon anime recent releases.

Third example I own, Shakugan no Shana. Like the Fate trailer, it's about 3 minutes long in completely raw Japanese. It consists of about 20% high-quality scenes which don't seem like they are used in the actual TV series. Although I haven't seen all of Shana either, some of the enemies in the trailer already got defeated and the battle scenes were slightly different.

On the Japanese end of things which are a mystery to me since I don't live in Japan, there seem to be "promotional DVDs" released for various animes (not just Japanese Geneon releases), including Disgaea and Fate/Stay Night (but not Shana, it seems), which are cheap and only contain a few minutes of footage according to websites. What do these DVDs generally contain? Do they just contain these extended trailers? Why are the trailers so much higher quality than the actual show and why don't they use the same scenes in the actual show? Seeing as they've already drawn them (in such high quality) it is a waste not to use them.

If anyone owns any of these Japanese promotional DVDs for any anime, I am curious what they are like and what is on them. Two anime series I have particular interest in regarding this area are Godannar and Tsukihime. Both these animes had Japanese promotional DVDs released for them but I don't know what is on them. I am very curious if there is footage for these shows that I haven't seen yet. There's a HK version of the Godannar Promotional DVD out too, but I try not to buy pirated stuffs.

Also, is releasing promotional DVDs for animes common these days, and how long has this practice been around in Japan?
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that this practice is exclusive to anime. Hollywood does it a lot with trailers (especially teasers that often come out when film production isn't done). And about the promotional DVDs for upcoming anime, it does seem to be a bit common. I can't think of too many examples but the Kanon 2006 Prelude DVD does come to mind.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I guess Hollywood does similar things but the main differences with anime in Japan are that: 1) they actually seem to sell cheap DVDs with nothing but the trailer on it (assuming my guess is right, I've still never seen one of these DVDs so I'm still wondering), and 2) it is ok to waste scenes in a movie, movies are heavily edited all the time and there is always tons of extra footage that often doesn't cost that much more to produce...but for animes the unused trailer material is ultra high-quality animation and it makes no sense not to recycle such quality material in the actual show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1