• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has their been any good anime to game translations and....

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genobreaker2004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Has their ever been any good anime to game translations? Also what game do you think could make a cool anime series?

As far as good anime to game seires I would say DBZ budukai 3 was not to bad but FMA was awfull. I think a good anime that should become a game would have to be S-Cry-Ed if done right the concept could be genious.

Also personally I'd love to see Halo as an anime that could be one cool series. Just thinking about the whole story it could follow Master Cheif form a kid to the trilogy of the halo games.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the shell on ps2 didn't wow me, but the ps1 game was awesome. Some pretty bad graphics at points, but you play as a tachikoma and can walk on any surface(walls or ceilings).

Other than that...nothing I can think of offhand. It's just like movies->games, too easy to NOT be worthwhile.

*edit*Oh and I'm an idiot, there have been some good dbz games. Some stinkers as well. Dbz tenkaichi 2 is really good though not quite my style.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Zillion on the Sega Master System when I was a young teenager. Of course, it helped that the game was a direct rip-off of the British game Impossible Mission.

Spellcaster on the SMS, which was based on the Peacock King anime, was also pretty cool for both its sidescrolling action and the occasional super-weird random touches of Japanese humour.

From the 16-bit era, I enjoyed the Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing Street Fighter II rip-off fighting games, not to mention the various Sailor Moon Double Dragon/Final Fight clones, and especially the Final Fantasy-esque Sailor Moon RPG.

The Gundam game on the Dreamcast gave me a pretty good taste of what it might be like piloting a mobile suit, if they existed, on Earth. Though it loses points for never actually letting you pilot a Gundam, just a few of the generic U.C. continuity mobile suits.

In short, most of the anime-based games I've enjoyed are rip-offs/clones of games that are actually good, so they end up usually being pretty good as clones, though they rarely bring anything original to the table.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
suna_suna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
Super DBZ for the PS2 is supposed to be really good. a 2D/3D mix gme that is alot like street fighter. also, Naruto: Ultimate NInja also for the PS2 is another pretty good one.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
My answer will always be the same on what game I want to see as an anime series: Guilty Gear. This game should it ever make really has potential, all the character's stories are complex and unique, and they themselves are just some badass people as well.
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
Super DBZ for the PS2 is supposed to be really good.

It's just boring and easy to control ala street fighter clone w/ dbz characters. Very yawn. And the Budokai games make me motion sick. X_X
DaZ616

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
The Gundam Seed Game "MS Gundam Seed: Omni Vs Zaft", IMO was pretty awesome on the ps2. Not to mention that its popular in the arcades of Japan and Hong Kong etc etc.

ill give the game a rating of 8/10.

I went to HongKong on the 24th of Dec and went to the local arcades and there was a updated version of the game that included "Destiny" Gundams aswell. There were at least 5-7 pairs of machines and all filled with people playing.

I wanted to get the updated version of the game for my ps3 but apparently it wasnt out yet .

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
The Captain Tsubasa games range from Famicom to PS2 and GameCube, and up to now they've mostly been a success. My fave one's CT3 (in the CT forums, I'm the only female to have beaten all teams in it n___nU)

And I agree with fighterholic. Guilty Gear would make a great anime series...

Wait. There's already a topic about which games should be turned into anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
This might be cheating a little bit (they're not exactly straight anime-to-games conversions) but the Super Robot Wars/Taisen series of games tend to be pretty good. Basically, it's a mishmash of tons of mecha anime, ranging from classics like Voltron from the '70s to UC Gundam from the '80s to more modern stuff like Full Metal Panic!, played using a turn-based strategy RPG battle system.

Only problem is, out of all of the games in the series from the past 15 years only 2 for the GBA (SRW: Original Generation 1 and 2) have been released stateside, and neither of them feature any of the aforementioned licenced mechs/series.
mthegreatone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
i'm honestly a bit surprised no one has suggested Bleach DS.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quote
Bleach DS is a great game, much like it's ancestor, Yu Yu Hakusho for Genesis. Both are mutliplanar fighters. Another good oldscool title is the Jo Jo's Bizzare Adventures fighter made by Capcom for the PSX.

Also, I love both the Gekitaisen (Clash of Ninja) and Narutimate (Ultimate Ninja) Naruto fighter series, particularly the latest versions of each (the early ones aren't as good). I also enjoyed the GBA RPG for that one.

One of the best "genre" games is technically manga-based, but Jump Ultimate Stars (and Jump Super Stars) is a GREAT game featuring tons of popular characters in a Smash-Brothers with team building style of game.

The GBA had some great games too, including the 2 Shaman King action games (Castlevania rip-offs but fun to play) and the One Piece sidescroller. Both were surprisingly competant.

On the "not bad" front, Bleach Blade Battlers and Battle Stadium DON (featuring characters from One Piece, Naruto, and DBZ) are both amusing little platform fighter type games. I also liked a little known GBA Flame of Recca platform fighter, not the best game out there, but quite playable, and fun for any fans of the series.

In the non-fighter department, Macross Plus for PSX was an excelent Macross game, the best in my opinion, and had some excelent flight controls for such a versitile vehicle.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but sadly, for each of those there are about a dozen total crap anime games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1