• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Hops on the Vinyl Bandwagon After 29 Years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back to the world of analog sound. We've been waiting for you.

Mark Gosdin
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to install a vinyl player in my car.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Just how long have vinyl/phonograph records been around? Emile Berliner (1/20/1851-3/3/1929) recorded the 1st album sometime in 1889.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Aki Toyosaki did a vinyl release of her Best Of album last year.
http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/artist/akitoyosaki/discography/SMJL-101
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
@Kadmos1

Soft Vinyl "unbreakable" records were probably originally issued in the post WWII period. They first became popular in the 1950s with the introduction of 33 1/3 and 45 rpm records. Before that most 78 rpm records were issued on a brittle composition material. (early 78s were lacquer over cardboard)

Initially 33 1/3 (Columbia Records) and 45 (RCA) were issued as competing formats to replace 78s. 45s won for singles and 33 1/3 won for album length records.

Vinyl records were OK when it was all we had. However, CDs are so much better, I gave all my vinyl records away years ago.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I never stopped listening to Vinyl.. so not a big news story to me.

However the Presses and equipment used to make the Vinyl records are very, very old.. most was scrapped in the US back in the Late 80's 90's and there are only a handful of shops still pressing records.. This make functional presses both rare and valuable.
NGK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
meanwhile REAL audiophiles have move on the most superior analog audio format known as REEL 2 REEL tapes Laughing

https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9409563/reel-to-reel-tape-retro-audio-trend

https://jazztimes.com/reviews/audio-files/reel-to-reel-audiophile/
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
@NGK
And back in the mid 1980s my brothers ex was able to buy a brand new player piano. That didn't make it a good idea though. I don't suppose any format has completely disappeared. I guess it would be hard to find a new Eight track player though. You no longer see the tape blowing in the wind where people through jammed cartridges out of the car window at intersections.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Listening to music on vinyl feels like as if we're going retro in a period of time where CDs are a thing.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means that more anime soundtracks will be getting released on vinyl. I would love to own some of them in that format. The only contemporary anime soundtrack that's been released on vinyl that I would like to own is the Gundam Thunderbolt soundtrack but unfortunately that was a limited release you could only get at the theaters in Japan.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
Alan45, the Berliner record might count as the grandfather of all record discs
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:38 am Reply with quote
Such a waste. We're going backwards instead of forward.
All mastering being equal, a vinyl will sound better than a cd only on the first couple of times you play it. But after that because of simple physics it gets worse.
So is there nothing better than vinyl/cd ? Of course there is but the big companies killed any kind of mass market appeal. Think super audio cds, or dvd-audio. Such a waste.

People that think vinyl is good are living in the long forgotten past. Listen to a vinyl recording of Dark side of moon, and then listen the same album on sacd or dvd-audio, or a bootleg edition taken from the original masters (no lossy encoding here). There is no contest. The difference is like night and day and you don't even have to be an audiophile to hear the difference. And you can do the same test for any worthy piece of music that has had a sacd/dvd-audio release.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
The only good thing about vinyl is the sleeve art. I fully expect that each vinyl record will come with a free download of all the tracks, and that people will listen to the digital files while putting the record in a frame and hanging it from a wall.

The problem is that even with all the presses and vinyl factories in the world, all the decent audio engineers who knew how to master vinyl (or indeed audio cassette and CD) are now either dead or retired. For the last 20 years CDs have been a race to the loud, which is why collectors try and find the first press CD of an album, rather than buy a new pressing. And given that most new vinyl will be pressed from digital masters, so much for the warmth of analog sound.

It's a fake industry for hipsters that know no better, and have nothing but an inferior modern turntable plugged into a digital amp to listen to their 'new' records.
McDoogle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
The only good thing about vinyl is the sleeve art. I fully expect that each vinyl record will come with a free download of all the tracks, and that people will listen to the digital files while putting the record in a frame and hanging it from a wall.

The problem is that even with all the presses and vinyl factories in the world, all the decent audio engineers who knew how to master vinyl (or indeed audio cassette and CD) are now either dead or retired. For the last 20 years CDs have been a race to the loud, which is why collectors try and find the first press CD of an album, rather than buy a new pressing. And given that most new vinyl will be pressed from digital masters, so much for the warmth of analog sound.

It's a fake industry for hipsters that know no better, and have nothing but an inferior modern turntable plugged into a digital amp to listen to their 'new' records.

This is false. I actually work for Sony Music in the US, where my primary job is to oversee the manufacturing of vinyl and CDs (yup, people still buy them believe it or not, myself included!). I don't know where you're getting your info from that the veteran engineers are all dead or retired, but that just isn't the case. I've personally worked with many extremely talented engineers who have been in the business for over 30 years, and are extensively knowledgeable about mastering for vinyl. The art was never lost, it was just dormant until the recent boom.

Also, as far as remasters go, many of the masters we use are actually the exact same masters we used back in the day. All of our masters are stored in a high-tech, temperature and humidity-controlled facility specifically designed to preserve them. We use those same masters to make the highest quality reissues we can.

You are right though that vinyl is only as good as the weakest link in the chain. Even the finest vinyl is going to sound like dirt on a cheap Crosley turntable. However, people with decent equipment will be able to hear a difference. Analog sound is always going to be richer and warmer than digital because it's being produced live in front of you rather than digitally recreated.

Think of it this way. The highest quality audio we typically listen to digitally has a sample rate of 48kbps. Flac and wav can get up to 96k but that's pretty rare. Vinyl, however, technically has a sample rate of infinity because it's not sampled at all - you're listening to the real thing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
@McDoogle

It is not just a question of the weakest link. If you spend the money for a really good turntable and are obsessive about cleaning and storing your vinyl records the sound still degrades with every use. With care that can be kept to a minimum but it happens. Treat the records as casually as most people do and the sound goes to hell rather rapidly. Of course those people think the scratches, pops and clicks are retro.

As to the superior sound, possibly in theory. I never could hear it myself. I replaced my vinyl albums with CDs as soon as possible. I got rid of my turntable when I realized I hadn't used in in a couple of years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2