• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Makes Shortlist for Hair & Makeup Oscar

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced seven films that are under consideration for the Oscar for makeup and hair styling on Tuesday, and the live-action Ghost in the Shell film is on the list.

Given the circumstances, could this nomination be considered a "consolation-consolation prize"? Having failed to equal its source material's writing, it was the case that only the film's visual effects could be considered exceptional, yet now, not even those are deemed sufficient for an accolade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
2017 has been a bad year for Scarlet Johanssen. GitS bombs, then the first good superheroine movie comes out with Wonder Woman, and then Charlize Theron does the female spy shtick in Atomic Blonde just to rub salt in the wound.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Um, did you not read the article? Ghost in the Shell made money on home video.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
If GITS is going to be nominated (which it won’t), it would be for Visual Effects. Makeup is out of the question.

Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced seven films that are under consideration for the Oscar for makeup and hair styling on Tuesday, and the live-action Ghost in the Shell film is on the list.

Given the circumstances, could this nomination be considered a "consolation-consolation prize"? Having failed to equal its source material's writing, it was the case that only the film's visual effects could be considered exceptional, yet now, not even those are deemed sufficient for an accolade.

Far from it. Makeup is the only category where only three films get nominated as opposed to five. And besides - would you really nominate this movie?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Gem: Yeah, because ‘Dances with Orcs’, I mean, ‘Bright’, is *so* much more rich and compelling than Ghost in the Shell. Rolling Eyes
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
I really feel bad for Scarlett Johannson. She probably never heard of GITS and thought this was just another generic action movie. Poor gal is just an actress who wanted a paycheck. I wonder if she still would have signed on if she knew what a bastardized project this would end up being.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
louis: I think she liked the idea that the original story had more for her character than ‘wear tight black outfit, and punch and kick guys’. Oh, I’m sorry, Joss, it’s supposed to be an empowering moment, amirite? Rolling Eyes
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Tough going. I didn't think it was executed as well they could have. Taking chances on casting on a beloved franchise anime/scifi wise.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
2017 has been a bad year for Scarlet Johanssen. GitS bombs, then the first good superheroine movie comes out with Wonder Woman, and then Charlize Theron does the female spy shtick in Atomic Blonde just to rub salt in the wound.

Ummmm neither of those two things reflect badly on her especially as up until Wonder Woman Gal Gadot was considered by many to be a very weak actress whose only claim to fame was being in a couple of Fast And Furious movies (which her character was ultimately killed off in) along with Batman v Superman (whose reception didn't exactly give much hope to the Wonder Woman film). Whereas with Atomic Blonde no one really speaks about the movie which should give you an idea of how not very huge the movie's reception was (and wasn't even a remotely new concept since Gina Carano made a similar movie years ago that people also forgot about).

louis6578 wrote:
I really feel bad for Scarlett Johannson. She probably never heard of GITS and thought this was just another generic action movie. Poor gal is just an actress who wanted a paycheck. I wonder if she still would have signed on if she knew what a bastardized project this would end up being.

Yes she would've.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1