• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DBZ Season One FAQ's now listed

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FUNiRepBlue (disabled)
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi Guys,
As some of you may know our announcement about the Dragon Ball Z Season Sets really perked up the discussions on Dragon Ball Z. Throughout the discussions we came across a lot of questions, so we developed an FAQ to address the main questions and provide some additional information.

FunHack Posted the FAQ's as well as a link for some images:

http://community.funimation.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=15789

FUNiRepBlue Out!
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I can finally get the uncut first season. Plus original Japanese music with the dub. I can't wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Nice of the Funi Rep to link to the FAQ and that the producers decided to bump the disc count to 6, but the dealbreaker it's still there, the WideScreen presentation, the gained picture from the overscan and the dezooming of the image doesn't compensate for the cropped material, this is a flawed release and just done for John Q Widescreen Tv, Put this back to the Original Aspect ration and make the fans happy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
this is a flawed release and just done for John Q Widescreen Tv, Put this back to the Original Aspect ration and make the fans happy.
Don't buy it then. The number of "John Q. Widescreens'" are growing, and frankly, I'm very happy to be a part of the family. Besides, the images that were in the FAQ showed I wasn't missing much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
this is a flawed release and just done for John Q Widescreen Tv, Put this back to the Original Aspect ration and make the fans happy.
Don't buy it then. The number of "John Q. Widescreens'" are growing, and frankly, I'm very happy to be a part of the family. Besides, the images that were in the FAQ showed I wasn't missing much.

Maybe because those images are the best Funi could come up with to illustrate their point, but think about it for the rest of the footage, specially the high action scenes or those with multiple characters, any proper comparison should be done with the same scenes of the R2J Dragonbox or even with previous Funi releases and lets see if "They aren't cropping that much"

And I'm advocating as an anime fan, DBZ is not the kind of series I like, but this opens the door to Funi and every other R1 company to mess with any series release just for the sake of marketing buzzwords. Think about it, did the people working on DBZ in the late 80's worked thinking this would be done in widescreen?... the answer is a big definite NO. They worked in the series so it looked good on a standard TV.

If companies are going to mess up a series, just because they can use widescreen to sell it to a mainstream audience and once again leaving the fans up a creek without a paddle with yet another screwed up version of DBZ, then what's next, colorising Astroboy (1963) and Gigantor just because there're color tvs?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1