• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Evangelion a creative rehash of Gunbuster?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Area88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Is Neon Genesis Evangelion a rehash of Gunbuster?

Both were directed by Hideaki Anno, Gunbuster came first in 1988 and then Neon Genesis Evangelion in 1995.

Both have very similiar characters, plots and the not so subtle inclusion of fan service.

Is Shinji just the male version of Noriko?
Isn't Misato very similiar to Kazumi (big sis) in both appearance and persona?
Isn't Gendou (Shinji's Father) a clone of Coachy (the authoritative figure)?
Kaji (the love interest) a clone of Smith?
Asuka (the red hair jealous type) a clone of Jung Freud?
Angels (with their unexplained origins) mirroring the invading space monsters?

Anyway i found the official website which is here for anyone who is unfamiliar with Gunbuster:

http://www.bandaivisual.us/gunbuster/index.html
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
The only real connection I've made is the Jung/Auska comparison. It's also been stated that Jung became the basis for Auska. However, some of your character comparisons I'm not seeing at all. How is Kazumi similar to Misato? Misato put on a light hearted mask to hide her sins and who she really was, whereas Kazumi was always serious and butted heads with Noriko. Coachy also wasn't nearly as reserved as Gendou, and he openly cared for the girls. To me Shinji and Noriko are complete opposites. Noriko was always willing and striving to do her best, Shinji on the other hand had to constantly wrestle with his choices and wasn't nearly as decisive or determined. Just because Smith was a love interest doesn't make him a Kaji, even the events in which spoiler[they are both killed] isn't even remotley similar. And the Uchuu Kaijuu and Angels being similar due to mysterious backrounds is a very loose connection.

I would like to know where these comparisons came from since you'd have to make some pretty big leaps to make them.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Shinji is actually supposed to be the male version of Nadia from "Nadia", from what I heard.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
Shinji is actually supposed to be the male version of Nadia from "Nadia", from what I heard.

It's been a while since I last saw Nadia, but I remember Nadia herself as being far too confident and outgoing and certain of her goals to be a female Shinji (or vice versa). Not to mention her relationship with her father was far different from Shinji's with Gendo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1