• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mr. Osomatsu Siblings Show Off Feminine Side for Department Store Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
So much merch from this series, and yet it's so hard to find at anime stores.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Their designs look similar to that of Idolm@ster...
It seems that Jyushiko has been inspired by Jyushimatsu's huge burst of enthusiasm. That huge smile is simply too hard to forget! Smile
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
So much merch from this series, and yet it's so hard to find at anime stores.

...um, is this sarcasm, or are you talking about a particular store? Every store I've been to just about as an aisle for Osomatsu merch. Hell, sometimes stores that arent even anime stores have Osomatsu merch sections. There's a reason I referred to first quarter 2016 as 'the matsupocalypse'.
(granted I live in Japan so I dont know if foreign ones just dont import as much, which would be odd because I was under the impression that foreign stores tend to import whatever is popular, and this definitely is popular in the west too)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
...um, is this sarcasm, or are you talking about a particular store? Every store I've been to just about as an aisle for Osomatsu merch. Hell, sometimes stores that arent even anime stores have Osomatsu merch sections. There's a reason I referred to first quarter 2016 as 'the matsupocalypse'.
(granted I live in Japan so I dont know if foreign ones just dont import as much, which would be odd because I was under the impression that foreign stores tend to import whatever is popular, and this definitely is popular in the west too)

No, I'm not talking about Japan, but here in the United States. Stores that sell a lot of imported Japanese merchandise around here, like Tokyo Life, Jungle, Toy Mandala, Aahs, and the vendors at the Frank & Son Collectible Show, have absolutely no Osomatsu stuff whatsoever. I've also visited Little Tokyo's stores frequently over the past year or so and it's still mostly Sanrio, Vocaloid, Naruto, Pokémon, Super Mario, One Piece, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, and Attack on Titan stuff. (Especially Naruto, as some of these places have entire walls dedicated solely to Naruto stuff.) Only in 2016 have I started seeing more Monster Hunter merchandise and Fairy Tail merchandise, and only in the year before that did I start seeing Kill la Kill merchandise.

What I've noticed over time is that it takes at least a year, usually more, for these retailers to start stocking something after it's become popular, and it has to be something that has enduring popularity, not a flavor of the month. Either they won't sell something until they learn that something is popular, or none of them are willing to be first and would rather see a competitor take the plunge before they start selling something. That is, none of these guys want to take any risks and will only stock something once they know, 100%, beyond a reasonable doubt, that they can sell well. Those Funko Pop! figures seem to be the exception though. Every seller wants to get them on their shelves ASAP. Also, a few vendors here and there will have one or two items from a series just randomly on the shelves. But Osomatsu is something I've yet to encounter in any of these places.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1