• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 200+ Voice Actors Choose Top 25 of Their Own in TV Special

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Keiji and Miyuki. AAAAAAAH! I never expected Keiji and especially Miyuki since she's the youngest in the top 10 to be so high up.

My thoughts on Miyuki in a nutshell: Her voice is so great that it makes me want to fap once I hear it. I have to take off my headphones after a certain amount of time so I won't lose my mind.

All you DBZ English dub watchers who bitch about Goku's JP voice need to show some respect to the #2 voice actor of all time.

DAT DB domination in the list.

I'm happy that Akio is in the top 10. Not only for his family, but he surpassed his dad.

When you realize that the original Jounouchi Katsuya is #12. Very Happy No hard feelings toward Hiroki Takahashi great voice.

Junichi Suwagbe. Nuff said. LMAO at his video.

Koichi is the GOAT!

My only complaint is that Rikiya Koyama is not in the top 25.

lol at Rina getting exposed.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Rica Matsumoto, who has voiced Ash (Satoshi) in Pokémon for 20 years

That sentence makes no sense whatsoever. ANN gonna ANN.

Last edited by KH91 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Choosing Viktor for Suwabe Junichi had to be a popularity response... I think he didn't do a particularly good job with that character. He's a perfectly good seiyuu (whenever he puts his mind to it) who deserves to be on the list, but this is really not a good representation of his skills. There are characters he acted so much better, for example Dandy in Space Dandy or Worick in Gangsta. Hell, even Archer from FSN.

Same with Yamadera Kouichi. Like yes, it's Evangelion, but Kaji, really? Instead of any of his numerous main/lead roles?

In any case, this is more of an affectionate "His/her voice or performance really inspired me/left a great impression on me in that show I used to watch all the time!" kind of list instead of any brutally honest evaluation.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I can't argue against any of the 25 names, but I think Akira Kamiya should have placed much higher. I also wish they had shown more love to his Fist of the North Star bro Kaneto Shiozawa.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Good list. I thought it will filled with overrated people like Hiroshi Kamiya, Mamoru Miyano, Hanazawa Kana, Tomokazu Sugita etc.
IceKirby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Good list. I thought it will filled with overrated people like Hiroshi Kamiya, Mamoru Miyano, Hanazawa Kana, Tomokazu Sugita etc.

Since it was a poll among other voice actors, I can imagine many votes went to people that the voters admired when younger and got them inspired to become voice actors. If that's the case, it's understandable that voice actors that are popular today didn't rank well in that poll, and makes Sawashiro Miyuki's ranking even more amazing.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
In any case, this is more of an affectionate "His/her voice or performance really inspired me/left a great impression on me in that show I used to watch all the time!" kind of list instead of any brutally honest evaluation.

No, from what I understand the voice actors and actresses themselves were chosen not for particular roles, but for their overall career. The choice of the iconic roles was done later, by the broadcast program itself. Certainly there's a large bias towards "shows that come on in regular person daytime hours" instead of late-night shows, and I think for evident reasons. While the choices were made by full time respected voice actors and actresses, the broadcast program was aimed at a general audience, so the iconic roles chosen were those familiar to ordinary people. Most Japanese people don't watch late-night anime, whereas, e.g., Touch is massively well-known.

The only glaringly odd one to me is that Minami Takayama wasn't named for her titular role in Detective Conan, probably because the show is still running.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
No, from what I understand the voice actors and actresses themselves were chosen not for particular roles, but for their overall career.

Yes, that's what I was also trying to say, that this is people honoring their senpai/esteemed colleagues. They played classic characters in iconic shows that many of the younger seiyuu grew up with and likely were inspired by to become voice actors themselves.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Well, that's just your opinion. I can say that some seiyuu is can be named "overrated" too, but the voice acting is no easy work, especially when you're popular and need to act on the many different projects with just one season, work on the radio shows or for more - doing the work on the same time on the TV show (like Sugita with Nakamura, or some others).
AkaRed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
No Tohru Fuyura Sad
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
^^^
Tohru Furuya and Kaneto Shiozawa definitely should be there imo. I'd add Hirotaka Suzuoki, Ichiro Nagai, Unsho Ishizuka (who's in like everything), and Banjo Ginga amongst others but I suppose they're older than most.

Kouichi Yamadera probably has the greatest range of anyone else on this list so it's great that he's first. He's really talented.

I like Keiji Fujiwara a lot but third? Wow.

Matsumoto hasn't done much other that Satoshi and Bakura for the last 15 years and Bakura was a role she inherited. I'd definitely like to hear her in more.

John Thacker wrote:

The only glaringly odd one to me is that Minami Takayama wasn't named for her titular role in Detective Conan, probably because the show is still running.

Yeah It airs on a rival network so that's probably why.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Tatsuya and Minami from Touch! Yeah! Very Happy Smile
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm slightly glad about the overall results but no Koyasu Takehito is just so damn wrong. The legendary seiyuu was the most casted VA, had done impeccable roles, and is literally one of the truly best seiyuu alive. How come?

Other Very Notable misses:

Yamaguchi Kappei

Mygahd, how can those fledglings forget to vote this dude... The notion is beyond me Mad
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Matsumoto hasn't done much other that Satoshi and Bakura for the last 15 years and Bakura was a role she inherited. I'd definitely like to hear her in more.

Rica Matsumoto also does a lot of live action voice acting (Japanese dubs of Western movies and the like).
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:

Rica Matsumoto also does a lot of live action voice acting (Japanese dubs of Western movies and the like).

Oh OK. I didn't know about that.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Choosing Viktor for Suwabe Junichi had to be a popularity response... I think he didn't do a particularly good job with that character. He's a perfectly good seiyuu (whenever he puts his mind to it) who deserves to be on the list, but this is really not a good representation of his skills. There are characters he acted so much better, for example Dandy in Space Dandy or Worick in Gangsta. Hell, even Archer from FSN.

The special was aired on TV Asahi, which is the station that aired YOI. That's also why for Takayama Minami we didn't see any mention/footage of Detective Conan (NTV).

I am among those who was surprised to see that Ikoma didn't know Furukawa voiced Ace. She was annoying in general because of her fangirly reactions, but to not know the voice of Ace when you're a professed anime fan appearing on a seiyuu ranking show...... Ace and Piccolo are probably the two roles most people, especially younger people, know Furukawa as.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2