• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gantz Creator Urges Fans to Buy Manga New, Not Used

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
With the low cost of manga how cheap are people to buy it used? How much are you even saving, just like a dollar or two? Might as well get it new. Save a trip to your mgronalds and put it towards new mangas.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I've bought used manga in order to complete a series, when the volumes are no longer available new. Otherwise, here in the US, I buy new with the hope that some of those purchase $ work their way back to the creators in Japan.

Mark Gosdin
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'd buy Gantz if it wasn't out of print.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
The only time I consider buying used is when something is out of print, but otherwise I'd rather have some of my money working its way back to the people that made the product. I used to buy used games as a means of saving some money, but after trading some game into the store, I quit doing that because the transactions always felt so lopsided.
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
With the low cost of manga how cheap are people to buy it used? How much are you even saving, just like a dollar or two? Might as well get it new. Save a trip to your mgronalds and put it towards new mangas.

You can get used manga for around a dollar or less sometimes, which is much cheaper in the long run than buying new. Many places will also do used bundles for really cheap. For example, I picked up volumes 1-22 of 20th Century Boys for only 2000 yen (20 bucks).

Used bookstores or places like Bookoff also feed to people who simply go in and read the books in store without ever buying them. At normal bookstores, books are wrapped to prevent this.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I almost always buy new nowadays, since i'm in a situation where i can afford the occasional manga volume. To be honest, i've spent quite a bit of time purchasing series that i had already previously read thru scanlations during my much poorer, college days (Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Hellsing, Magi, etc.). Digital manga is a blessing; over the last 5 years i've collected every digital volume of One Piece, Claymore, and many others that would swamp me if i'd tried to get them all in print.

Яeverse wrote:
With the low cost of manga how cheap are people to buy it used?

Manga really isn't that cheap; single volumes range from 9 to 12 dollars, while most omnibi are at least $20. Most used manga i've found have been $4-5 each, and for some out-of-print series used manga is the only option. Most digital manga i've found are about $7 or less, so that's definitely the way to go if the money's tight
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I almost always buy new nowadays, since i'm in a situation where i can afford the occasional manga volume. To be honest, i've spent quite a bit of time purchasing series that i had already previously read thru scanlations during my much poorer, college days (Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Hellsing, Magi, etc.). Digital manga is a blessing; over the last 5 years i've collected every digital volume of One Piece, Claymore, and many others that would swamp me if i'd tried to get them all in print.

Яeverse wrote:
With the low cost of manga how cheap are people to buy it used?

Manga really isn't that cheap; single volumes range from 9 to 12 dollars, while most omnibi are at least $20. Most used manga i've found have been $4-5 each, and for some out-of-print series used manga is the only option. Most digital manga i've found are about $7 or less, so that's definitely the way to go if the money's tight

In what world is 9 to 12 dollars not considered cheap? Most people earn that much in like only half an hour to even as little as 10 minutes at work. One days wage of eight hours is enough for people to buy over 10 volumes of manga.
EvilOmar78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
I'd buy Gantz if it wasn't out of print.

Which volumes are out of print?
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
for books--> buy USED

unlike used cars and other things.. the condition of the books are easy to check so buying used would be a better choice.

also, you local libraries should also have manga available --if you have no money to even buy used manga
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
for books--> buy USED

unlike used cars and other things.. the condition of the books are easy to check so buying used would be a better choice.

In the age of online retailers growing in prevalence and having more selection than brick and mortar stores, your description of the ease of buying used is not applicable.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Is buying used really that damaging to the industry? I have always strictly avoided scanlations and fansubs because I want to support the industry in any way possible, but I always thought that buying used, specifically for out of print titles, was fine given the fact that it's completely legal given ownership laws. There are a lot of arguments for this, but is there some sort of statistical evidence I can look to?

And when he says he wants readers to buy the volumes at list price does that mean that he doesn't want us to buy new volumes from stores with a discount or am I just misunderstanding his statement because he is only referring to used books?

I always thought it was more important to spread knowledge of scanlations, but maybe buying used was overlooked on my part.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
Is buying used really that damaging to the industry? I have always strictly avoided scanlations and fansubs because I want to support the industry in any way possible, but I always thought that buying used, specifically for out of print titles, was fine given the fact that it's completely legal given ownership laws. There are a lot of arguments for this, but is there some sort of statistical evidence I can look to?

And when he says he wants readers to buy the volumes at list price does that mean that he doesn't want us to buy new volumes from stores with a discount or am I just misunderstanding his statement because he is only referring to used books?

I always thought it was more important to spread knowledge of scanlations, but maybe buying used was overlooked on my part.

How would buying used be useful for the industry, it seems unlikely that buying a used manga from someone trying to clear out space in their house is going to help the industry.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
If the issue is about financially supporting a mangaka, I ponder if there is a Japanese equivalent of Patreon in existence for Japan (unless such a system would violate local laws)

The only other push back might be publishing companies strong arming successful Mangaka from "miscellaneous earnings".
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

In what world is 9 to 12 dollars not considered cheap? Most people earn that much in like only half an hour to even as little as 10 minutes at work. One days wage of eight hours is enough for people to buy over 10 volumes of manga.

Where I live, India. 9-12 dollars is around 600 - 800 rupees. That's a lot of money. If I went to a bookstore, I'd probably get around 2-4 paperbacks with lots of pages for that money. You could have a decent meal at a restaurant. You can get food here for even 20-30 rupees. So if I told my dad or anyone here for that matter, that I'm going to buy a graphic novel for around 700 rupess, they'd think I'm crazy rich - which I'm not.

tl;dr I don't know about the US but for people outside the US, it's waaay harder than you think.

Last edited by phoenixalia on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
...or they could go to a library. But wait, by this logic, the library is a den for pirates, isn't it? Also, they'd so impose DRM on physical media if they could. No more lending, no more sharing, no more anything. Those are lost sales after all, aren't they?

Sorry, call me cynical, but while I'm all for creators making the money they're "entitled" to, buying used is perfectly legal, so even the anti-pirates shouldn't have an issue with that either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6