• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mini Documentary Discusses Importance of Sailor Moon for 90s LGBTQ Kids

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna check this documentary out.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
The story about the Gay man whose parents punished him and kids at school who bully him for being gay was harsh.

At least Sailormoon help him during this difficult time and he was able to find friends who accepted him for who he was.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I saw it a day ago, I was a bit underwhelmed tbh. There's so much more to the subject (by which I mean feminist and LGBT studies of shoujo). :/
Korogoro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a Sailor Moon fan but I love Card Captor Sakura. Tomoyo was a lesbian and Touya was gay. People can say he was just friends with Yukito or even that Yukito is this sort of spirit being but they're just trying to deny their sexualities. Even Shaoran knew Tomoyo was in love with Sakura.

It's a bit sad that nowadays most anime are about heterosexual characters and if there actually is a non-hetero character, they just make fun of them. That's why I like Haruchika, the MC was LGBTQI+ and no one ever made fun of him.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Does that one guy need to keep referring to themselves as "Moonies"? Every time I heard that, I thought of glassy-eyed cultists hanging around at the airport passing out flowers and asking for donations. Rolling Eyes
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
Does that one guy need to keep referring to themselves as "Moonies"? Every time I heard that, I thought of glassy-eyed cultists hanging around at the airport passing out flowers and asking for donations. Rolling Eyes

I remember one Sailor Moon chat group I was in saying something similar. Laughing

Imagine, though - "I'm a Moonie." "Oh, you mean the mass wedding people?" "What? No! I just really like Sailor Moon."
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Korogoro wrote:
I'm not a Sailor Moon fan but I love Card Captor Sakura. Tomoyo was a lesbian and Touya was gay. People can say he was just friends with Yukito or even that Yukito is this sort of spirit being but they're just trying to deny their sexualities. Even Shaoran knew Tomoyo was in love with Sakura.

I don't see how people can NOT accept that Toya and Yukito were lovers. The official subbed release of CCS makes it damn clear that Yukito and Toya are an item on more than one occasion. I've not read the manga so I'm not sure if their relationship is as obvious or not. I assume it is, CLAMP is not all shy about homosexual relationships in their works. Heck, I'll argue that Subaru's coming to terms about his romantic feelings for Seishiro is the bigger theme in CLAMP's Tokyo Babylon manga, than the actual supernatural murders.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It seems weird that a gay man would like Sailor Moon, all the sexy transformations would be off putting wouldn't they?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
I saw it a day ago, I was a bit underwhelmed tbh. There's so much more to the subject (by which I mean feminist and LGBT studies of shoujo). :/

If that's what you're specifically looking for, then there's this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It seems weird that a gay man would like Sailor Moon, all the sexy transformations would be off putting wouldn't they?

It goes far deeper than just sexy transformations, and they're not sexual at all. (Maybe aside from a split second in Jupiter's 3rd transformation where you can see her butt cheek). Gay men aren't grossed out by naked women. If anything, they see passed shallow fan service and love it for its deeper themes.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
This documentary was fantastic
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
Korogoro wrote:

I don't see how people can NOT accept that Toya and Yukito were lovers. The official subbed release of CCS makes it damn clear that Yukito and Toya are an item on more than one occasion. I've not read the manga so I'm not sure if their relationship is as obvious or not. I assume it is, CLAMP is not all shy about homosexual relationships in their works. Heck, I'll argue that Subaru's coming to terms about his romantic feelings for Seishiro is the bigger theme in CLAMP's Tokyo Babylon manga, than the actual supernatural murders.

About the CCS manga: it's definitely canon. spoiler[In the end, Sakura confesses to Yuki and he tells her that he's not the number one person in her heart. She asks him if his number one person is her brother and he confirms it.] I think it happens this way in the anime as well? But I'm not too sure because I can't remember if I actually finished the anime. People can argue over whether other Clamp couples are official, but Touya and Yuki are definitely an item.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
This documentary is pretty cool. Sailor Moon is pretty cool too. Noice.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Fighting bigots by moonlight...

Unspoken love by daylight...

Never giving up their rights...

They are the kids LGBTQ!
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

1) Aside from the attractive guys and openly gay characters, it's less about attraction than it is about seeing yourself and the likes, beliefs, and passions that you have.

By your logic, straight girls and women would have no interest in Sailor Moon.

2) You talk about Sailor Moon like it's Heavy Metal. The show is a G-rated cartoon aimed at 8-11-year-old girls with a fanbase that extends beyond that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2