• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Book Design Blog Names Best-Designed Manga of 2015

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I have to say these r interesting manga covers but I think Food Wars has a beautiful cover design that would pull people in. There are so many others and the ones on this list aren't that interesting or "best-designed" but then again. My opinion doesn't matter.
nobody knows

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
the first 3 looks cool I like them .
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I have to say these r interesting manga covers but I think Food Wars has a beautiful cover design that would pull people in. There are so many others and the ones on this list aren't that interesting or "best-designed" but then again. My opinion doesn't matter.

I think you aren't getting what they mean by /best design/. Best design is not the same as a lovely illustrated cover where the illustration has a good composition. I looked up food wars and the covers are very standard nice illustration, logo and text slapped on. The top pics seem to focus on the unity between the text and illustration together. Especially that second pic that has some intense typography design work going on.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Please, please, please let the English release of Ghost & Lady keep the same design. I'm already interested in picking it up. If this is what the cover will look like, it becomes an instant buy for me.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Cover design is such an art form! I have an art background, but from my limited, amateur forays into trying to design a logo or cover, it's a lot more than choosing a font I like and putting it on top of an illustration (I was motivated some years ago by seeing manga covers I didn't like, and arrogantly thought, "I bet I could do better!" ...I learned quickly that it wasn't so easy). I've got such great respect and admiration for designers who can combine all the elements—artwork, logo, text, colour and value—into a cohesive design that is more than the sum of its parts.

I really enjoyed seeing these covers focused on (and having them brought to my attention, since several are new to me). Thanks, ANN, for sharing this blog and their selection!
eat24foods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, are any of these titles worth reading? They seem interesting based on the title and cover, but of course, one should not judge a book based on its cover Laughing
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
eat24foods wrote:
Out of curiosity, are any of these titles worth reading? They seem interesting based on the title and cover, but of course, one should not judge a book based on its cover Laughing

Blame! is typical Nihei which means very much worth a read. And based on the 20 or so translated chapters, Dungeon Meshi is also a good read.
eat24foods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Blame! is typical Nihei which means very much worth a read. And based on the 20 or so translated chapters, Dungeon Meshi is also a good read.

Awesome, thanks!
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Great pick for No.1 with Black Museum: Ghost and Lady. It really looks like a 19th century tome from a castle library or something. Definitely interested in getting a copy when Kodansha USA brings it out. The Blame! cover looks pretty cool as well.

eat24foods wrote:

I second the recommendation for Blame! It's one of the few manga out there where you feel completely immersed in another world.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The full list at the blog is well worth checking out. It features a total of a hundred entries for 2015's best manga covers.

Wiesteria wrote:
Please, please, please let the English release of Ghost & Lady keep the same design. I'm already interested in picking it up. If this is what the cover will look like, it becomes an instant buy for me.

I love those covers, too! Don't know much about the series itself, but some nice packaging like that would certainly help convince me to buy it.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:

I really enjoyed seeing these covers focused on (and having them brought to my attention, since several are new to me). Thanks, ANN, for sharing this blog and their selection!

You're welcome! Very Happy Glad you enjoyed it as much or more than I did.

On a personal note, I think these choices might validate something that Justin wrote in Answerman sort of recently. I disagreed with some of the choices and realized it's because they incorporate text as an element of design. I don't tend to think of text as artistic (especially not generic English writing, like with Hakuba no Chronicle), but as Justin wrote, the artistic sensibility of Chinese characters and the playful way Japan uses text in general means that it's considered as an art form more than it is in the West. Just a thought...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how historically accurate that story about Florence Nightingale is. Since she's considered the mother of modern nursing, I think you should be as accurate as possible but also creative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1