• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Norse Prince in 2.35:1, any other scoped anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I just received my copy of Little Norse Prince last week and was surprised that the film was made in the 2.35:1 (I think the bars were a bit smaller than normal so maybe it was a bit cropped) aspect ratio. Since most of the DVDs I watch on my tv tend to be recent American/ British tv and anime it has been some time since I've seen something letterboxed on my tv. Are there any recent anime films that are made in Cinemascope and are available in aspect ratio? Are there any modern anime titles that are scoped and being transfered to 16:9 pan and scan?

I was a little bit disappointed in The Little Norse Prince since it felt rather like a Western cartoon with all of the singing and talking animals. I suppose I was expecting something more along the lines of the amazing Future Boy Conan. Looking forward to watching Only Yesterday (which also came in along with season 4 of Blake's 7) which I have not seen since it's Japanese release.
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The UK version of Norse Prince is in Anamorphic Widescreen.

Which version do you have because it's been released in lots of European countries?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
The UK version of Norse Prince is in Anamorphic Widescreen.

Which version do you have because it's been released in lots of European countries?

This is the one I bought. The Optimum R2 UK release. My current setup plays Pal well enough for me (should be perfect once I get a DVDO VP) to justify buying Pal DVDs if there are any extras to warrant it, although I will tend to buy NTSC unless there is a major price difference. Does the new UK Eva Platunum tin have the extras and commentary? I don't want to buy the individual R1's since I already own the original releases and the Platinum thinpak. I might want to pick up the neat looking new UK release if it has the newer extras. Optimum's Ghibli collection seem to lack some of the extras on the Disney 2 DVD releases, and tend to be a tad weaker for AV quality.
Area88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Does the new UK Eva Platunum tin have the extras and commentary?

Yes but save your money because ADV will be releasing a box set with even more extras next year.

Plus the UK dvds suffer from Ntsc to Pal conversions which cause ghosting and various other problems.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
I just watched the remastered Lupin Cagliostro's Castle a few days ago and couldn't help but noticed that the new transfer is really underscanned! Although this is better than overscanning, the image had black on all four sides of the screen. I'm surprised that even the animeondvd review didn't mention this about the new transfer. I'm I the only one here who cares about silly things like aspect ratios, cropping and underscanning?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1