• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: K-ON's Aki Toyosaki Graduates from News Program

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Is there anything they don't use "graduating" as a euphemism for quitting/being fired?
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
That escalated pretty quickly. But then and then again, Aki Toyosaki lives a life of a voice actress, and this is likely to happen.

Lemonchest wrote:
Is there anything they don't use "graduating" as a euphemism for quitting/being fired?

Leaving college life without finishing it may count.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
That escalated pretty quickly.

What escalated quickly?
It seems like she had the job for six months.

Is there anything to indicate that she did get fired? Rather than just deciding to quit?
It is possible that it was always intended to be just a temporary job to give her some experience with live TV. She is an actress.

Last edited by Touma on Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes. "Graduating." From a news program. Neutral
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I read the word "graduate," I interpret it as an euphemism of the person either retiring, quitting, or getting fired.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
It took me a minute to realize that this wasn't an article about a former idol who went back to school to earn a journalism degree. This is definitely one of those cases where the Japanese entertainment industry's over-reliance on the word "graduate" is unnecessarily confusing.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Ditto. Graduating is only appropriate when you're going on to something else.... from a school. You're just quitting/being dropped.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
XerneasYveltal wrote:
That escalated pretty quickly.

What escalated quickly?
It seems like she had the job for six months.

Is there anything to indicate that she did get fired? Rather than just deciding to quit?
It is possible that it was always intended to be just a temporary job to give her some experience with live TV. She is an actress.

Given that the other weather girl is also leaving the program along with its "charge girls," it seems more like the program's production is changing up the format and not that multiple people chose to quit at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

Japan don't like to "fire" people, or even letting go. Gotta keep the wa harmony, no hard feelings.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was somewhat confused at what "graduating" meant. Reading the title of this article, I thought it meant she passed some induction test and was allowed to be part of a news staff.

Reading what people have been saying about this recent Answerman though, it sounds like Japanese news is not that interesting anyway.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Hahaha yeah I agree, when I read the title, I mistook that Toyosaki Aki was in some sort of classes/school and graduated so she can start doing news.
The thing is, The context of the word 'graduating' was used wrong here, This isn't Japan. This is an article for native English readers/speakers...
It just confuses everyone who aren't familiar with how Japan uses certain words.
Or did the title translated directly from some Japanese article without any editing?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
Got to admit, when I saw "Aki Graduates" I couldn't help but think of another AKB graduation. Razz

I imagine Aki had to stop being a Weather Girl because of her other commitments with Sphere and as a Seiyuu. Seems she's been awfully busy lately. So I wish her the best.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
Maybe she should do a block with her fellow KON seiyuu.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
Hahaha yeah I agree, when I read the title, I mistook that Toyosaki Aki was in some sort of classes/school and graduated so she can start doing news.
The thing is, The context of the word 'graduating' was used wrong here, This isn't Japan. This is an article for native English readers/speakers...
It just confuses everyone who aren't familiar with how Japan uses certain words.
Or did the title translated directly from some Japanese article without any editing?

The site has used the word translated this way regularly to refer to idols but I'll keep this in mind in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1