• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japan & Radioactive Products & Anime!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retroborg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
After the tragic events that occurred this March in Japan and lead to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, recent studies revealed that it’s now on a par with Chernobyl! A very large part of the country was covered with radioactive particles & radiation carried by the wind & water, the sea was contaminated with the radioactive waste from the power plants and even the Tokyo public water supplies were contaminated! As a result many local Japanese heavy industry factories like SONY, Canon, Toshiba, etc… ceased production and closed down and only restarted production recently.

It’s obvious that edible & biological goods, like fish, vegetables, meat, soya, noodles, etc… from Japan should be avoided, but what about other mechanical / electronic / paper, textiles & non-biological products made in Japan like TVs, digital Cameras, consoles, computers, cars, DVDs, comics, clothes, etc… or even older / used products like video games, books, DVDs / Anime, computer / console hardware, etc… that had been stocked in Japan?!
Shouldn’t all these also be considered dangerous for public health as their parts (or as a whole) could have been exposed to radiation and contaminated with radioactive particles that recently covered the entire country and surrounding area?!

For example how safe would it be to buy one of these, which is made in Japan:
http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_S95/

I would really like to get some valid scientific answers concerning these queries and even get some valid scientific / encyclopaedia links that will clear up these matters.

Thanks in advance.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote
Wrong forum, dude. This sort of question is probably best posted in the retail forum.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote
I followed these stories as they happened out of curiosity/concern for our friends overseas. Basically, while yes, the radiation spread out, the levels turning up outside of the immedate area were not high enough to cause great levels of concern (even with the Tokyo water contamination, it was noted that the levels only seemed just high enough to affect infants and the elderly, and bottled water was reccomended but never required.) Furthermore, customs has been monitoring incoming shipments for too high radiation levels.

Taking all that into account with the very likely possibility that any expensive, high-end electronic you buy (like that camera) was manfuactured and shipped over well before this incident... I don't think you should be worried.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
retroborg wrote:
It’s obvious that edible & biological goods, like fish, vegetables, meat, soya, noodles, etc… from Japan should be avoided...

Not quite, not all of Japan has been contaminated with radiation. In fact the vast majority of Japan is perfectly safe from radiation poisoning. Its the people living near the effected power plant that are at risk and those crops have already been pulled from the food market. Sadly because of misunderstandings like this many farmers in Japan are taking huge financial hits because people (even people in Japan) simply assume that they might be selling contaminated products.

As for non food products you most likely have nothing to worry about. As I said earlier most of Japan isn't really in the danger zone of the power plant and on top of that many Japanese companies are testing all of their products before shipping them out to clam the consumers. In short, you have nothing to worry about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I hope the figure I just ordered isn't going to glow in the dark. Laughing
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
Even if that camera was produced with in 25 miles of the plant, considering half life, and general levels, I am sure your cell phone would give you a million times more radiation on a daily basis. Besides its really the radioactive iodine which you should be worried about in this case(because the item is not to be eaten and/or does not contain liquids or earth from around the plant(and no the rare earth in the camera is from China, trust me on that)), which only has a half life of 8 days I believe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1