• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
how do you find the US produced anime in the Encyclopedia?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I know this sounds really stupid but where can I find the US produced anime in the encyclopedia section? I haven't been able to find it at all.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
I know this sounds really stupid but where can I find the US produced anime in the encyclopedia section? I haven't been able to find it at all.

Begging your pardon, but "US produced anime" is an oxymoron—anime is by definition produced in Japan. Unless you meant "U.S. animation produced in Japan" (such as The Last Unicorn) or "anime co-produced with U.S. companies (much of what is currently being imported); the former is beyond the scope of this Encyclopedia (which concerns itself with animation primarily created in Japan, not that whose "grunt work" was done there), while the latter is found throughout the Encyclopedia.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
No I meant the ones sponsered by the US but created in Japan like Robotech etc...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
No I meant the ones sponsered by the US but created in Japan like Robotech etc...

We don't actually have any such list.

Robotech is a bad example BTW, the origin material (Macross) was entirely Japanese produced, and it was re-made into Robotech after it was licensed.

A huge portion of anime being released today is at least somewhat produced by North American companies, but the degree of involvement varies. Some anime just features partial North American funding, others include American companies involved in the creation process, and still others are fully spec'd by the American producers.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1