• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FYI: ADV to Retain the Utawarerumono Name

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Back in August, ANN reported here that ADV Films was planning on releasing the series Utawarerumono under the moniker "Shadow Warrior Chronicles", which of course caused a lot of controversy on this board. However, Janice Williams of ADV mentioned on the Anime on DVD forum that ADV will NOT change the title of the series, and instead will retain the original Japanese name. The title of the first volume will be called Utawarerumono: Mask of a Stranger. It was not announced at this time when Vol. #1 will officially street.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they listened to what the fans wanted and decided to trash that horrid re-name, and although I know it's extremely unlikely I'm really hoping the DVDs will come with come with reversible covers that have "Underwater Ray Romano" printed as the title. Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
See? They are not "teh 3vil!!!11" after all Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't care too much one way or the other about the title (haven't watched any of the series yet Embarassed), but ADV's in a tough spot with this series. "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" sounds like some kind of forgettable mid-90s OVA from Central Park Media's VHS back catalogue, and a literal translation ("That which is sung" or something like that) isn't very marketable. The original name, Utawarerumono...well, I have no problem with it, but I can't help but think that the casual Best-Buy-browsing fans will see it on the shelves and think, "Uta-wanna-poké-whata-mono?"
In essence, ADV may have done right in the view of the hardcore fans on these kinds of forums, but I can't help but think that they're hurting the sales potential of the series to casual fans. Even people in the local anime club have problems with titles like Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Gankutsuou; while short titles in Japanese like Ai yori aoshi, Koi Kaze, and Haibane Renmei are memorable and accessible enough, titles with 7+ syllables seem to pose problems for fans with no or limited Japanese language skill.

EDIT @ Past: "Utawareru Mono" is the most correct way to separate it, as far as I know. utau (=sing) -> utawareru (passive form =to be sung) + mono (=thing, person, generalized "one"), with utawareru acting as a modifier that would be rendered as a dependent clause in English.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't care too much one way or the other about the title (haven't watched any of the series yet Embarassed), but ADV's in a tough spot with this series. "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" sounds like some kind of forgettable mid-90s OVA from Central Park Media's VHS back catalogue, and a literal translation ("That which is sung" or something like that) isn't very marketable. The original name, Utawarerumono...well, I have no problem with it, but I can't help but think that the casual Best-Buy-browsing fans will see it on the shelves and think, "Uta-wanna-poké-whata-mono?"
In essence, ADV may have done right in the view of the hardcore fans on these kinds of forums, but I can't help but think that they're hurting the sales potential of the series to casual fans. Even people in the local anime club have problems with titles like Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Gankutsuou; while short titles in Japanese like Ai yori aoshi, Koi Kaze, and Haibane Renmei are memorable and accessible enough, titles with 7+ syllables seem to pose problems for fans with no or limited Japanese language skill.

Perhaps you're right, but I personally think: "The One Being Sung" sounds pretty darn poetic. I really like it personally. Either way, I laud them for keeping the name, if only because that is the name; you can translate it however you want as far as I'm concerned, but that is the name, not any of this 'shadow warrior chronicles' hogwash some idiot came up with. Then again, there's a good chance it was all just publicity for the show anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
THANK god, I was kind of pissed when i heard this, I hated The "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" as its name and was yelling at my friends for no reason, but thank god they're keeping it............however like Selenta said "The One Being Sung" would have also sounded pretty nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't care too much one way or the other about the title (haven't watched any of the series yet Embarassed), but ADV's in a tough spot with this series. "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" sounds like some kind of forgettable mid-90s OVA from Central Park Media's VHS back catalogue, and a literal translation ("That which is sung" or something like that) isn't very marketable.

Yes my friend it rings very close to an actual anime released by CPM (actually under the label "US Manga Corps") by the name of Yotoden: Chronicles of the Warlord Period. That Which is Sung kind of reminds me of a newer series with a similarly poetic name - The Moment the Cicadas Cry. Unfortunately Utawarerumono just seems like too much of a tounge twister and the lack of spaces to separate it into 2-3 words seems very arbitrary. Something like Uta Wareru Mono would be more appropriate but I'm not sure it represents the correct separation between the actual Japanese characters.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately Utawarerumono just seems like too much of a tounge twister and the lack of spaces to separate it into 2-3 words seems very arbitrary. Something like Uta Wareru Mono would be more appropriate but I'm not sure it represents the correct separation between the actual Japanese characters.

I guess it kinda is, but i find it very fun to say Utawarerumono over and over again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Shadow Warrior Chronicles was a part of Macross :O It's listed somewhere in the encyclopedia if you wanna look it up. I personally love the idea that they're gonna keep it Utawarerumono (I didn't have problems with the name Razz) for the same reasons as above. It is Utaware, not Shadow Warrior Chronilces or The One Pulling a Sword outta his ***, it's The One Being Sung (roughly translated) and leaving it as is would be best IMO. This probably wouldn't be a title casual viewers would pick up anyway, and Utawarerumono is much more marketable than Shadow Warrior Chronicles or The One Being Sung (the latter because it sounds more exotic and not as girly [let's face it, most americans are closed minded]). Needless to say, I hope some more series like this one get brought over Anime smile.
beast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear this, if this in fact turns out to be true. ^^
As a hardcore anime fan, I couldn't care less about what marketing or localization experts think about economic realities. The artistic and cultural reality is that the formerly proposed English title doesn't have much to do with either the original Japanese title or the content of the show, and as such is to be dismissed.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Shadow Warrior Chronicles was a part of Macross :O It's listed somewhere in the encyclopedia if you wanna look it up.

You're thinking Robotech, not Macross. The two are not interchangable.

Anyway, I think using Utawarerumono as the official North American title is a terrible idea. Many American anime fans who couldn't care less about being true to the original Japanese title will probably dismiss the name as being unpronouncable. They should have come up with something less generic than "Shadow Warrior Chronicles," but sticking with Utawarerumono is even worse.

Also, let's be honest about the supposed "artistic" reality. Maybe a handful of people in charge of making any given anime actually care about its artistic merits. The others are either just trying to earn a paycheck or trying to maximize their profits by selling TV advertising and merchandise.

As a hardcore anime fan, you should care about what marketing experts think about economic realities. The reality is, if a title doesn't turn a profit, then there's no money to license a new title. If the Japanese don't get the money from licensing out their titles, then they have less money to produce more anime, whether it comes to the U.S. or not.

In any case, I don't see what the big deal is about changing the title. It doesn't affect the quality or content of the show if it has a different title, so why make a big fuss about it?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
My respect for ADV just went up a couple rungs; here's hoping Utawarerumono sells better than Fate/stay night.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
In any case, I don't see what the big deal is about changing the title. It doesn't affect the quality or content of the show if it has a different title, so why make a big fuss about it?
The issue in this case was that it would have created an inaccurate preception of what the show was. While Utawarerumono is a bit of a tounge twister, to the casual fan it means basically nothing so they start with blank slate on what to think of the series (at least until they read the synopsis on the back or give the disc cover a good look over.)

On the other hand, the title Shadow Warrior Chronicles creates a preception of 1) the series is a cheap, simple watch and forget title and 2) the series will involve warriors who either have shadow powers or are evil or something.

Based on the encyclopedia entry, I'm guessing that shadows don't play much of a role in this one. (Haven't seen so no real clue. For all I know, the whole thing could be one long dream caused by an evil shadow god. Rolling Eyes )

I doubt ADV is expecting massive market penetration with this title anyway. It sounds interesting but it seems like a title that only deep into the culture anime fans would really like.

It's unlucky that they couldn't do with this title what Geneon did with Shakugan no Shana. They marketed it as Shana but the whole title is in fact on the disc. The "shakugan no" part is just in small type.

By the by, does anyone know who first referred to this title as Underwater Ray Romano? Laughing It cracks me up everytime I read it.
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:56 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
By the by, does anyone know who first referred to this title as Underwater Ray Romano? Laughing It cracks me up everytime I read it.

Someone on the Anime on DVD thread I referenced (where I first heard about the news) mentioned it, and I assumed that's where W.P. got it from. It does sound pretty funny, though.

Question: Does anyone here know how Utawarerumono did ratings-wise in Japan? It doesn't seem like it would carry a big audience, and in essence looks like it'll be either a Class B- or Class C-type series in the R1 market.
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:08 am Reply with quote
beast wrote:
I'm glad to hear this, if this in fact turns out to be true. ^^

Yes, it is true. The news came from Janice Williams herself, and she's a representive of ADV Films.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2