• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are your most hated tropes/cliches in anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Firstly I'd just like to point out I'd like for things not to turn into a bashing contest of of shows that do these things for to much for our liking. I think bringing up examples is fine but please try not to above and beyond by blatantly attacking something with derogatory statements. We are all civilized here aren't we? Wink

/sarcasm

The "Forgiveness" Card: As many people have expressed in the Aldnoah thread in anime people tend to get away with a lot of crap that they wouldn't in real life due to this. You can commit mass genocide and still be painted as a hero (cough Naruto......). Even with the Christian upbringing I had this bothers me quite a bit. I don't mind forgiveness in general but depending on what the person has done and why determines if I find it reasonable. Becoming a redeemable villain really flies out the door once we are told they are killing multiple people. Even if it's for the "sake of their cause" or something that like I find such acts unforgivable. A character should not be able to get away with murder when the victim did nothing to provoked them.

Now I'm not saying the murderer shouldn't be given a chance to reflect on their actions. That would be unfair. But when you go to the act of killing someone for your own selfish purposes you need to make amends for that. And letting these people go with a slap on the wrist or "it doesn't matter what he did since he's helping us save the world" rubs me the wrong way.

Tsunderes: I don't think I can hide my resent for this character type. And it genuinely puzzles me how such an obnoxious trait is featured so much in romantic anime these days. They don't even try to hide it anymore. It's not uncommon now for a character be directly called a tsundere in the show they are featured in. It's almost like people have become so used to this character type that it's more of joke now.

But it's not just the cloud of annoying that tsunderes bring with me that bugs me. It's also their development cycle. It's so predictable and boring. Here is how it's commonly done

1. Girl is never honest with her feelings and is rude.

2. Boy meets obnoxious girl and befriends her.

3. As time goes on the girl spews lines such as "It's like I did this for you or anything!" which are throw out constantly indicating she has feelings for said man

4. By the end of it she is honest with her feelings and is very close to the boy.

The end. There I just summed up the majority of how all tsunderes develop. Wasn't that thrilling? Well maybe the first 3 times it was. But seeing girls like this in just about every dayum harem just kills it for me. Especially since they tend to be the main girls too. Perhaps I just have bad experiences with them but I tend to like male tsunderes better simply because I never feel like their characters are pandering to the demographic that likes that particular trait and it serves an important purpose in their personality.

Example Ao Haru Ride: Kou

Deus ex asspulls: You know what I'm talking about. You ALL know what I'm talking about. This can be many things. A random powerup that comes out of nowhere giving the main character the advantage.

A sudden revelation that explains everything in a horribly contrived fashion because the writers put themselves in a corner. This is something that I have experienced mostly with shounen shows such as Naruto and Bleach.

For me as long as a powerup is somewhat foreshadowed it's fine. But pulling a powerup from no where just irritates me. I get it. You need to put characters in a corner sometimes with no options sometimes. That's fine. But doing this on multiple incidents just shows inexperience in handling how the fights will end in my opinion.

Evil Guy that talks instead of killing the hero:

Yeah I can't stand this. As I said before there needs to be danger thrown at the hero and they need to be put in a position they could lose. I understand that. But whenever I see an evil guy monologue when he can just shoot the hero and be done with it I just role my eyes. This isn't something that's particular to anime either. It happens all the time in movies too. But it's something that I just can't stand no matter how many times I see it.

Guns < Swords:

In the world of anime it seems guns are about as useful as butter knifes. People either have the aim of a 3rd grader or simply..........don't shoot at all. While I was watching Nobunaga the Fool there is a scene where the two main heroes are surrounded with people with guns while they only have swords.........yet they still win..........

Coppelion had men shooting at a kid while he dramatically throws a grenade for 5 seconds.......none of the bullets hit him.

Maybe I'm just a little bias but guns need more respect. Sad

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
"Whoops, I was hit by a gust of wind and my shirt exploded", and it's nasty cousin "Whoops, I accidentally tore off a girls shirt" and every other derivatives. I just dropped Kamisama Dolls because there was a "Whoops I had to pull out a girl's shirt to save her life" followed by "Whoops, I got caught in the rain and now everyone can see my bra" in a matter of 4 minutes. I just have no patience left for this cheap overused "jokes"
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Tropes and cliches do not bother me.
I do not like some of the things that were mentioned here, not because they are cliches but just because I do not like them and would not like them if they happened only once in the history of entertainment.

A prime example is the guy who talks when he should be shooting.
I hated that the very first time that I saw it.
I hate it every time that I see it, not because it is a cliche but because it is really stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Tsunderes

I don't mind tsundere as a concept, and depending on how extreme their tsun side is they can be quite likable.

However I'm tired of them winning every damn time.

"A sweet, kind and caring girl who thinks the world of me has feelings for me? Well screw her, I only want the girl who treats me like shit and puts me in the hospital daily!"

... Said no guy ever. Watching Rail Wars and my biggest issue isn't the shoody animation or medicore plot. It's that Aoi is a terrible person who has no business carrying a loaded gun. Despite this it's pretty clear that she's going to get Naoto in the end. Because.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Tropes and cliches do not bother me.
I do not like some of the things that were mentioned here, not because they are cliches but just because I do not like them and would not like them if they happened only once in the history of entertainment.

A prime example is the guy who talks when he should be shooting.
I hated that the very first time that I saw it.
I hate it every time that I see it, not because it is a cliche but because it is really stupid.

I couldn’t agree more.

As for tsunderes, I don’t like them too. So far the only tsundere I have come to tolerate is Alice from Pandora Hearts, because the story focuses on her less as it progresses and there is no romantic relationship between her and Oz or, it turned out, anyone else.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
To be fair, the villain monologue is pretty common outside of anime. I guess it kind of makes sense if the villain is like the Joker and doing it for the showmanship.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
However I'm tired of them winning every damn time.

This is the main problem I have with them as well. I'd like to see the guy just brush off the tsundere for once. There was a scene like that in Hatsukoi Limited, where one of the dudes got tired of one of the girls and said something like: spoiler["You don't like me, right? So then just leave me alone and stop giving me false hope"]. Yes I know what happens in the end.

Would be fun for once to see the girl completely ruin her chances because of her personality.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
Comically one-dimensional boss villains.

Nothing ruins a story for me faster than the generic bad guy that's evil for the sake of being evil, and acts like such a lunatic that you can't comprehend how such a person would ever wind up in a position of power to begin with, or keep it without his subordinates either abandoning him or killing him and taking his place. There has to be some context. Without it your big, bad antagonist becomes unintended comedy relief.

Last edited by Bugnin on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
I have too many gripes to list in one thread let alone one post; I'm a very discerning person. So I'll just highlight one that doesn't get mentioned very often, and that is When Villains Mind Rape Heroes With BS Arguments.

With just a few lies or a couple of twists of the truth, the villain can make even the strongest or smartest or most determined hero(ine) to become hostile towards their friends or abandon their principles or lose all sense of self-worth. This trope shows up all over the place; from Fullmetal Alchemist to Silent Mobius to Day Break Illusion (where it was particularly bad). Related to both Idiot Plot and Hero Ball, it's used to artificially extend the plot, and every time I see it I get real angry. It's ridiculous that a hero or heroine would actually believe what their slimy, obviously dodgy archenemy is saying rather than trusting in their bonds with the friends they have known for weeks and months (and even years). I know that heroes are supposed to be pure and trusting, but that doesn't mean they have to be so moronically gullible.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to get bored of anime in schools (regardless of genre). It's starting to make me search out anime that DOESN'T have schools in it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
UAH and DMS

Ugly Ass Haircuts and Dead Mother Syndrome.

Also Let Me Explain To You, My Enemy, Exactly How My Attack Works

*eternal facepalm*

Quote:
Guns < Swords:

In the world of anime it seems guns are about as useful as butter knifes.

I'm no expert...but I'd deduce that this is about Japan's attitude towards guns verses swords. "Swords are better because of our samurai history". They are considered to be more honorable weapon...and you know how Japan's all about honor.
(besides they are cooler) Laughing
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I fully agree with Swords Vs Guns thing... In my mind S vs G should usually play out like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs

Tsunderes are okay to a certain extent.... But it seems that a lot of shows like to take them to the extreme and that's when they become annoying.

One thing that I hate (don't actually know if this would count the same as the Deus Ex Asspull) is when the hero just gets his butt beat repeatedly for countless hours (That last Batman movie pissed me off the most with this) only to comeback in the last few minutes to win. I find it annoying when they have to show the main character getting dragged through the mud for hours on end... I get it the enemy is supposed to be strong already... move along with the plot for goodness sake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1