• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Dog of Flanders DVD.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akaname

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I've recently been considering spending some money on Geneon's OOP dvd of The Dog of Flanders, as it seems to be something I would enjoy a lot. What can I say? I enjoy being depressed?

Anyway, I've read some negative comments in the reviews on amazon and have a couple of questions:

It would seem quite a bit was cut from the theatrical release...some reviewers claim that it changed their entire experience. How much, and exactly what was cut from the R1 release?

I've read that it didn't contain the Japanese audio? I know amazon tends to mash up reviews, so I was wondering if comments like this were about a VHS version, not the dvd. Is this true?

Also, some of the reviews claim that the movie was based on the TV series, but I assume they were both based on the novel, as separate productions, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this. Thanks.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
While I don't personally own it, the 2000 DVD release for Dog of Flanders only came with an English dub option and did edit out some scenes considered objectionable for children such as some scenes of animal cruelty as Pioneer was trying to promote their release of it for younger audiences. They did release the movie on VHS the year before the DVD version's release in subbed and dubbed formats. Not sure if the dubbed version was edited, but the subbed version that I own was unedited.

If you're looking to get an unedited version of the movie, you might be better off hunting down a VHS version of it subbed.

EDIT: Actually come to think about it, the subbed release is more harder to find than the DVD release. According to an ANN article from a while back, the film sold poorly enough where Pioneer never put together a re-release of neither the subbed nor dubbed versions making the movie increasingly hard to find via legal means.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akaname

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
While I don't personally own it, the 2000 DVD release for Dog of Flanders only came with an English dub option and did edit out some scenes considered objectionable for children such as some scenes of animal cruelty

Well I watched the English version on youtube, and there was certainly scenes of animal cruelty abound. I can only imagine what was deemed as objectionable and removed.

The dub was actually quite good, although I would like to own a version with both. I guess I'll be happy with what's available.

Did somebody actually recommend hunting down a VHS?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Akaname wrote:
Well I watched the English version on youtube, and there was certainly scenes of animal cruelty abound. I can only imagine what was deemed as objectionable and removed.

You can read more from this editiorial that Justin Sevakis did over a decade ago around the time the movie's DVD release came about. It's your judgement call on what you choose to buy. But cutting of scenes can effect one's enjoyment of a title, especially if it's being sanitized in some vain attempt for political correctness.

Quote:

This person did recommend you hunt down a VHS tape, considering this is a rare case where the VHS release is preferable over getting it on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know which version of the VHS is the subtitled version? Is it even on Amazon?

As for DVD, hell, maybe we'll get lucky and someone like Discotek will pick it up
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
Don't see the point in censoring Dog of Flanders in light of Plague Dogs.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Does anyone know which version of the VHS is the subtitled version? Is it even on Amazon?

The subtitled copy I own has cover art on the front of Nello and his dog in a far shot in a church with angels hovering over them. It has "Collector's Special Edition" and "Uncut Japanese Version with English Subtitles" across the top and bottom of the cover. The English dub release has different cover art to my understanding. From what I'm searching around Amazon and E-Bay, they don't appear to have the subtitled VHS release.
Akaname

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Akaname wrote:

Quote:

This person did recommend you hunt down a VHS tape, considering this is a rare case where the VHS release is preferable over getting it on DVD.

I appreciate your response, and value your input. I would like to make it clear that I was just attempting to make a dumb joke. There was never any offense intended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1