• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animes That You Wish Were Never Licensed

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoshigami68

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a hard person to please, but I have to wonder about some of the anime titles that are being licensed outside Japan as of late. Some are so bad one wonders why they were made in the first place. Three titles that I think should have never have been released stateside were Final Fantasy:Unlimited, Green Green, and Ghost Stories. I guess in the end it boils down to personal opinion and preference.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ghost Stories was licensed simply to make the hilarious dub. ADV knew it sucked when they picked it up. They just saw it as a chance to have some fun. Like Shin-chan, the dub is what makes it succeed in the US.
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
For me, it isn't the fact that a show was "licensed" so much as it is WHO licensed it. I'm also the kind of guy that will only purchase a show if it has the Japanese track on the R1 DVD release, and it wasn't edited for content. That being said, I hope somebody stateside will license Gun-do Musashi because that would be awesome.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Not all anime is liscensed becuase the comapny hopes for the next DBZ/Yugioh/Naruto mega-hit. Basically, if the company feels show A will make more money than it cost, they'll pick it up.

Long story short- Green Green was probably damn cheap to pickup. Wink

Having said that- there's some anime out there I'm surprised made it out of the VHS vaults on onto DVD. How is it the Area 88 OVA came out so much later than Debutante Detective Corps? I bought that for $3 new, and still felt ripped off. I'm stunned that they thought there'd be enough demand to pay the pressing costs on that.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Hoshigami68 wrote:
I guess in the end it boils down to personal opinion and preference.

Yes. So in the spirit of personal opinion and preference, I think I'll lock this before it gets out of hand and people start flaming each other over disagreements. Debating a single title is one thing, but this thread has the potential to go in all sorts of directions.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1