• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
bleach?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sensei-roh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
i got a few questions about this one particular show because i can't make up my mind wether i want to see it or not. thing is i don't like narotu or any anime where there's more repetative fighting than there is story. and yet i do like samurai x, but then again i do feel like samurai x still has way more depth. (if naruto has any at all) i've seen some trailers and amv but those just made it look more like naruto. so my questions are:

1)could it be compared more to samurai x or more to naruto (or even worse, dbz)

2)would you say that the story is actually going somewhere? meaning, will it ever end? because i believe that most good shows are good because they end when they're still good...

3) how's the soundtrack? a good soundtrack is always very important to me. if it's a mediocor one, that's ok too, but if it's great than that's all the more reason for me to watch the show. (sometimes a simply play the beginning of last exile or ghost in the shell just to hear those great theme song)

4)is it any good? why?

i hope this thread will not be seen as a recomendation thread. i just wanna find out more about this particular series.
Last_September

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
1) I'm assuming you mean the Rurouni Kenshin series as a whole here. While Kenshin was based more on history, Bleach is more of a supernatural anime. I would say Bleach is more like Naruto (e.g., Ichigo being just as brash as Naruto).

2) Bleach is better paced than Naruto and does not drag out as long. It's a bit slow in the beginning but the story really picks up later on. Yes, there's alot of fighting but everyone is fighting for one cause and there's never a point where the characters will forget when or what they're fighting for. Plus there's a bit of a interesting subplot that's starting to develop.

3) I found the soundtrack to be alright. Several of the opening and ending songs are great. My favorite track is "Never Meant to Belong".

4) I believe you should give Bleach a try regardless of what anyone says. Go into it without expecting anything. You'll enjoy things more that way rather than thinking "Oh, this isn't great since Ichigo isn't as heroic as Kenshin" (just an example). My main point is just watch the show and decide for yourself. Don't create early bias by looking too much into it beforehand.
Ragg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
1.) It is more Naruto, because of how the show works. First, Ichigo starts out like Naruto, pretty much untalented except for being able to see ghosts/spirits/hollows. From then he trains, he grows, etc.... Its less like Samurai X due to how Kenshin starts out god all mighty spoiler[except when he goes to learn the Immaki Rykiryu no Meki. Lol i forget how to spell it, along with the other skill where he attacks the 9 parts of the human body]So if you like how the character development in Naruto is, you'll like Bleach.

2.) I agree with September in that it is better paced. As the first 10-14 episodes are basically introductory, however after that it is extremely good. Which is faster pacing, more action, new skills+abilities, and new people. Also, now with the Bounto Arc it is still pretty good, I'd rate it equally with the Chuunin Exams in Naruto.

3.) I like the soundtrack 10 times over than the Naruto soundtrack. Ending 6 and 8 are my favorite songs, but the songs inside the anime are also fitting to the overall show.

4.) I thought this anime from the plot summary was incredibly dumb. "A boy can see ghosts and one day becomes a Death God to fight hollows." Instantly i assume it was LAME, however I still started to watch it, solely because the animation scheme was similar to Naruto. It was an on and off anime during the first episodes, but when Ichigo and Co go to spoiler[Soul Society] <---- (Not really sure if a spoiler tag is really needed..) I couldn't put it down. Ichigo is not as incredibly dumb as Naruto, plus it is actually interesting (for me atleast) to see the other characters fight, I.E Orohime, Chad, the Captains, Ishda, etc.. The only part this anime really lost me was the transition from Soul Society to Bounto with the water controlling guys...but that was only a few episodes.

My advice is to just watch it at first, and if you enjoy the characters + feel the overall effect of the show is nice, you should watch to Soul Society (10-15 episodes), because I can almost gurantee you, you'll like this anime.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Sensei-roh wrote:
2)would you say that the story is actually going somewhere? meaning, will it ever end? because i believe that most good shows are good because they end when they're still good...

It seems like the end is in sight for the manga (though it will take a long time to get there), but who knows with the anime. The fillers have been going for a while now, and it's kind of getting messed up with the manga plot Sad
goins007

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
Lol, I like to think of it more like yu yu hakusho meets Inuyasha.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
goins007 wrote:
Lol, I like to think of it more like yu yu hakusho meets Inuyasha.

Wow, I've never seen that comparison before, but it's certainly fitting.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so sure about the Inu Yasha comparison, but I think Bleach is more like Yu Yu Hakusho than anything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1