• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
what anime do u prefer over the manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
For me it would be sailor moon and inuyasha. I don't know why i've never really like sailor moon manga version and it's the same thing for inuyasha. But i will probably read the last inuyasha (manga) since the tv series finished before the manga so i'd like to see the original ending.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps my effort will be wasted, but I was waiting for another thread along these lines (and didn't really feel like reviving the old one), so I'll share my love for the Hunter x Hunter anime right here and right now.

Since I'm posting in here, I feel that the Hunter x Hunter anime was far superior to its manga adaptation. Why?

First of all, the art is one hell of a lot better. The manga art felt extremely inconsistent, and some of the facial expressions got screwy at times (especially toward the end, but some of the earlier parts felt that way as well). It felt overly simplistic, and compared to many other manga and even its predecessor Yu Yu Hakusho, it was just a bunch of scribbles and lines. The backgrounds really WERE just scribbles and lines, and everything was done in minimal detail to still look like people and trees and other things. The art started out fair, but deteriorated as the manga continued on (indicative of the manga-ka's laziness).

While the animation is not stunning in the anime, it is certainly a VAST improvement from the manga. Characters are drawn like your standard anime characters (which is pretty good), backgrounds are lush and full, and many settings, especially York Shin City and the Sky Tower, were really immersive and drew me into the world, something the manga was unable to do. Everything is more consistent, and there was never any need to worry if the art would topple in the very next episode.

Second, the manga, I felt, had some pacing issues that were nonexistant in the anime. Everything seemed to either move too fast or too slow. All the fast parts felt too rushed and needlessly so, while the slow parts seemed to drag on and on and since the technical...issues did not allow you to enjoy anything but the story anyway, were chores to get through. Fights ended too quickly, and some of my favorite arcs seemed to end before I could even count to 10.

The anime is paced quite well. Nothing felt extremely rushed or extremely slow, and the quite attractive animation, good casting, and really pleasant music allowed for a pleasurable, slow, and even ride.

Third, the "filler" in the anime was absolutely wonderful. I would almost call them my favorite parts of the series, and if I had not read the manga beforehand, I would not have even known that they were filler. They ranged from hilarious, to sweet, to epic and exciting.

Plus, Hisoka is just plain awesome animated. And the fights were more exciting too.
sandy_taty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I believe in anime it is more emotional, for the form the affect it is made.

But if You really love reading, you will love manga instead. Me, I prefer manga, nevermind both are the same to me.

There something that bother me, I'm just ASKING, if you haven't notice anime it is becoming more then emotional. I will say more emo. For example, InuYasha, naruto, all the anime from adult swim. I can't say which one, because I have a lot in mind.

Think about the anime you watch or your favorite anime they are over emotional. even my favorite anime, Angel Sanctuary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I have only read one manga - Love Hina. But I have to admit it was TONS better than the anime. The author actually went in depth which each character, not only Keitaro, Naru, and Mitsumi (I think that was her name), but with Shinobu, Koalla, Motoko, Kitsune, and Seta. Each of the side/support characters were shown almost as much as the main ones, and weren't excluded much. The Love Hina manga was better than many animes I have watched. READ IT OR BE...square...?

Sorry that was not an anime prefered over a manga, but I think that it should be either.
NinjaUmbreon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I liked the anime of Bleach abit better then the manga. I though the flow of the fights worked better when animated then in still frames.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
It felt overly simplistic, and compared to many other manga and even its predecessor Yu Yu Hakusho, it was just a bunch of scribbles and lines. The backgrounds really WERE just scribbles and lines, and everything was done in minimal detail to still look like people and trees and other things. The art started out fair, but deteriorated as the manga continued on (indicative of the manga-ka's laziness).

Second that. I liked the Yu Yu Hakusho anime better. The artwork in the manga is very simple in everything from the characters to the backgrounds. That is, when there are backgrounds. Very often there are none, replaced with solid black and white.
lilie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I liked inuyasha anime version better because i really din't like the art style of the manga at all and i din't really like sailor moon's manga version because i felt that they were more character developement in the anime then the manga and i felt that the manga was rush while In the anime they took their time so we could know the characters better so for me the anime was more enjoyeable then the manga.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I like the Pretear and Scrapped Princess animes over the mangas myself. Both of those, I feel, put more into the story line than the manga. Especially SP, which the manga felt like a bunch of unrelated short stories connected only by the fact that the same three characters were in each.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
lilie wrote:
i din't really like sailor moon's manga version because i felt that they were more character developement in the anime then the manga and i felt that the manga was rush while In the anime they took their time so we could know the characters better so for me the anime was more enjoyeable then the manga.

Well, I like both the manga and the anime for Sailor Moon since in the manga she isn't as dippy as she is in the anime. Like several anime based on manga, they actually had to make up a story arc (Ail & An) so that the manga could "catch up." But, Sailor Moon is not as long a manga series like, say, Inu Yasha or Fushigi Yugi, so there really wasn't much time for serious character development.

I looked in the Encyclopedia and did see or missed this information. Was Sailor Moon Naoko Takeuchi's debut work?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I think the anime that are better than their manga counter parts are the ones that stick to the story best. Once you've read the manga you have those story lines and ideas all in your head. Then when you see them brought to life before you it's almost like re-telling stories with an old friend. The anime that stray far from the manga just loose something I think. They go off and sometimes just fizzle out. The same could be said for some manga too But hey, that's just me. I do encourage reading manga because too few children, and people in general, read at all anymore. It's a good habit!

Some personal favorites that excel past the manga for me would be Saiyuki, Getbackers, Scrapped Princess, and Slayers. On the reverse side some manga that I felt were far superior to their anime version are Oh My Goddess, Love Hina, Negima, Ikki Tousen (Battle Vixens), Naruto, and Boys Be.
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:50 am Reply with quote
NinjaUmbreon wrote:
I liked the anime of Bleach abit better then the manga. I though the flow of the fights worked better when animated then in still frames.

seconded. I feel it very hard to follow what's goin on in manga like that or naruto, it's much easier to grasp with color and motion. Also get to hear some hilarious VAs! *cough*KON*cough*

I used to say Full Metal Alchemist, but I can't really be certain till I 've read the manga up towards where it completely diverts from the anime (which I'm guessing will be within the next few volumes)

Magical Shopping Arcade Abonabashi (sp?): Watched the whole anime and it was really funny and had a rather heartwarming story behind it too. The manga however was made after the fact, and after glancing through it it looks like a retelling of 90% of the same events with even more fanservice (I recall one page where 50 women are topless and the lead protagonist yells BOOBIES!!!)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

I looked in the Encyclopedia and did see or missed this information. Was Sailor Moon Naoko Takeuchi's debut work?

No, it wasn't. Before Sailor Moon she published the Sailor V manga. I don't know if there was anything before that.

I don't really care for the Sailor Moon manga that much, because I find that the pacing is much too fast and so I never really have a chance to come to care about any of the characters, like I do in the anime.

I also agree with Pretear, because though the manga has better characterization, the story in the anime is definitely superiour in pretty much every way, IMO.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I really love the anime Read or Die and I was so excited to hear that the manga would be released. I am so disappointed with it. The artwork was just so chaotic it was very hard to follow with ease. I found it completely disrupted the flow of the story. What a bummer.
yardsale09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Beck and NANA to a degree. Basically because there music anime's and without be able to hear the music you loose alot of enjoyment. When I first read Beck i thought it was horrible, then I watched the anime and thought it was great and went back to the manga and now its one of my favorites. As for NANA, I liked the manga when I first started it, but be able to hear music gave the anime a slight edge over the two.
ShikamaChU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I generally Prefer manga over anime, as I usually have the movement, color and voices in my head already (anyway, manga almost always have more character development, and for me, that what really makes a story. Also, the quality is more consistent, and in most cases, more attractive.), but there are still a few Anime titles I prefer over manga.

Full Metal Panic! The anime got to the point. As much as I can’t get enough of amusing side stories, I just think they overdid it (Like, three entire books in a row).
I just started wondering where the heck the plot line went. The anime didn’t have that much slack hangin’ around. I like both, and I appreciated that the manga had side stories, but I missed the plot and I’m not Buddha patient.

Trigun just made more sense in the anime. I like the manga, don't get me wrong, I just think the anime gets to the point a lot better. Things are put together in a much less confusing way.

Kodocha had a lot of added craziness in the anime (Mostly because of the happiness that is sound ^^) and that really made it all the cooler.

Of course stuff like Eureka 7, Eva, and FLCL, which were all first created as anime, are generally better as anime, just because...that's what they were made for. If manga follows (like as these three had) it’s usually just a re-hashing. Sometimes more depth, but it’s just not the same.

For action or sports titles that follow really closely to the manga, it doesn’t tend to make a difference to me. If the movement-y scenes are particularly well done like say...Naruto or Champloo. I'll go for the anime first, Manga later.

Rumiko Takahashi titles don't generally make a difference story-wise. Watching it doesn't take as long, and for her stuff, getting through it may take a few years anyway. So why not. ^^;

I'm not sure whether I prefer the Beck or Nana anime over the manga. Both media ffer different things (One is 'music' which really helps, and another is more...character stuff,story, everything else.)

There's a few that are almost different stories, that I'm not sure which I like better such as Hagaren.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2