• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grave of the Fireflies or Barefoot Gen?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku-Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
Since Geneon is re-releasing Barefoot Gen, I just was wondering how does Barefoot Gen Compare up to Grave of the Fireflies in terms of emotion and sadness.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
They're both war movies, yes. My thing is that I really didn't feel an emotional connection to Gen as I did Grave. Gen I think shows a little more detail of what happened to people (hence: the atomic bombing) than Grave, but really, there was disease in both films.
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Both are very similiar but for me Barefoot Gen justs grabs it. It was made before the Ghibli interpretation and IMO i just liked the characters more. Both are classics and well worth buying though.

I'm really glad to see Barefoot Gen has finally been giving the dvd release it deserves. The original released by Image Entertainment was dubtitled. But this re-release is subtitled and contains movies I & II so it's a real bargain.
herzog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Barefoot gen is more disturbing to me as it is more realistic.

As for emotions Grave of the Fireflies is more of a tearjerker.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Get both, and go home depressed. Laughing In all seriousness, CPM's SE of Grave of the Fireflies is highly recommended, and trumps most Disney Ghibli releases. But Geneon genuinely believes in Gen, even if they know it's not gonna make money, which is rare for anime companies nowadays.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
Both have a place of honor in the canon of Anime fandom in the United States. They are very good examples of war films from the Japanese point of view. Actually, every country should have a similar movie if only to remember that tragedies born of warfare strike individuals of every nationality. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1