• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Anime/Manga Survey.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thetruthsmessenger

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quote
Ok guys, new member here! Very Happy

Doing a statistics survey for uni and would like it if you could answer a few questions for me.

(For Anime/Manga Fans)
Q1. How long have you been into Anime/Manga?

egA. I have been into Anime for 5 years but unconsciously was a fan when I was younger by watching sailor moon and Yu-Gi-Oh. I became interested in Manga 4 years ago on a trip to Japan.

Q2. How did you get into this fandom?

egA. A friend of mine recommended Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop and I fell in love with the genre.

Q3.1 How do you obtain your Anime/Manga?

egA. I read alot of new Manga online to get a feel for it before going out and buying it. Same with Anime but when it's something highly recommended by a mate or looks really good in the blurb/on the back of the DVD case I'll buy it straight up.

Q3.2 Do you own any physical copies? If so how much and how much do you think you've spent?

egA. I own around 35 Manga books and around 20 Anime movies and series. I've spent around $700 over the years.

Q4.1 What are your 10 favourite Anime/Manga?

egA. My favourites are Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Hetalia Axis Powers, D.Gray-Man, Kuroshitsuji, Kyo Kara Maoh! and Wolf's Rain (not nessissarily in that order.)

Q4.2 What 3 Anime/Manga would you remommend for first-timers and why?

egA. Cowboy Bebop - because it shows quite well the range of quirky characters and odd qualities that are unique in Animes, Naruto - the character diversity and relationships as well as the enjoyable artwork are good starters, and Death Note for, again, the characters as well as the unbelievable plot that keep you on the edge of your seat the whole show.

Q5. Do you dress a certain way or act a certain way when meeting up with others of this fandom?

egA. When meeting up for a new release or a convention I generally cosplay as a character from one of my favourites although I have a pet peeve for girls who dress as guy character (unless they're really good) and half-assed costumes.

Q6. Do you think this fnadom is more male or female orientated?

egA. I'm not sure, alot of the themes in Anime are male orientated but then again there are alot of 'pretty boys' and strong female protaginists so I could go either way.

Sex:

Q3.2 Do you own any physical copies? If so how much and how much do you think you've spent?
Q5. Do you dress a certain way or act a certain way when meeting up with others of this fandom?
Q6. Do you think this fandom is more male or female orientated?

(For non-Anime/Manga Fans (including people who don't know what this is))

Sex:

Q1. Do you know what Anime/Manga is and it's history?
Q2. What do you generally think Anime/Manga fans look like?
Q3. How much do you think is appropriate to spend on a hobby like this?
Q4. Do you comprehend this fandom and their level of devotion?
Q5. Do you think this fandom is more male or female orientated?
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Sex: Male

Q1. How long have you been into anime/manga?
Since I was just a little kid watching Hello Kitty, Kimba and Sailor Moon.

I don't remember.

Q3.1 How do you obtain your anime/manga?
Buying or downloading. However, I only download anime if it's absolutely not possible to find in stores.

I own many DVDs and manga volumes, too many to count thanks to being allowed to take alot of the shop's merchandise home with me when the place closed down. Not sure how much I've actually spent, but my collection easily has a value of several thousand dollars.

Q4.1 What are your 10 favourite anime/manga?
1. Death Note
2. Fullmetal Alchemist
3. One Piece
4. Azumanga Daioh
5. Tokyo Mew Mew
6. Escaflowne
7. Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged {Yep, I'm counting that--LittleKuriboh singlehandedly made YGO popular again, this series is definitely good enough to be recognized as a real series in my books!}
8. Black Butler
9. Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
10. Magical Pokaan

Q4.2 What 3 anime/manga would you recommend for first-timers and why?
1. Escaflowne, because it's a beautiful show with wonderful characters, great action scenes, genuinely sweet but not overpowering romance, and a touch of memorable humor, all set to one of the absolute best soundtracks ever.
2. One Piece, either the original Japanese version or the Funimation dub. One Piece is a fun, hilarious, action-packed, and sometimes downright heartwarming adventure suitable for anyone 10 and over.
3. Azumanga Daioh, because it's very lighthearted and fun, perfect for those who want to start off with something light.

No.

It's got about an equal number, I'd say.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Approximately 3 years.

It's a fairly long and amusing story, but the short is that I found some DVDs at work one day.

I mostly buy anime, but I watch fansubs and streams as well.

I own a lot of physical anime. The amount comes out to about $5000.

No order:
Panty and Stocking
Gurren Lagann
Mahoromatic
ef - a tale of memories
Slayers
Haruhi Suzumiya
Kanon
Kite
School Rumble
Beck

Black Lagoon, Trigun, and Summer Wars. All the same reason of being accessible to non anime fans. You don't need to know anything and just need to like good shows.

No.

I think there are more male hardcore anime fans, but I think the fandom overall is about equal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Q1: How long have you been into Anime/Manga
A: I've been into Anime/Manga ever since I was 5 or 6 so 15-16 years give or take.

Q2: How did you get into this fandom?
A: Caught a few episodes of Dragon Ball as a kid and it appealed to me, as I got older and took in more shows that were being aired on television I began to explore more and look for titles on my own.

Q3.1: How do you obtain your Anime/Manga?
A: For anime I purchase select titles that I want to own in a collection (i.e box sets and special releases for tv series and ova/films). For manga I'll buy certain volumes of series I follow, but I'm currently just looking for more omnibus releases for series spanning more than a dozen or so volumes. For other manga, which aren't available here in English I read online.

Q3.2: Do you own any physical copies? If so how much and how much do you think you've spent?
A: I own a bunch of manga and a small collection of anime on DVD. In total I'd say I've spent around $1250-$1750 over the course of 10-11 years.

Q4.1: What are your 10 favourite Anime/Manga?
A:
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Manga)
- Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad (Manga)
- Great Teacher Onizuka (Manga)
- Hajime No Ippo (Manga)
- Eyeshield 21 (Manga)
- Baccano! (Anime)
- Vision of Escaflowne (Anime)
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (Anime)
- Princess Mononoke (Anime)
- Cowboy Bebop The Movie (Anime)

Q4.2:

1. Cowboy Bebop The Movie - It's a stand alone film that can be viewed without watching the television series. An interesting story, great animation, fun characters Cowboy Bebop The Movie stands as one of the most easily accessible films in Anime and serves as a great introductory into the anime world.

2. Baccano! - This short 13 episode series (not including the 3 extra episodes on the DVD release) is a good example of what kind of stories can be found in Anime. Combining elements of a period piece, fantasy, science fiction in a non-linear narrative Baccano! stands out as one of the most unique anime to come out since the turn of the century.

3. Golden Boy - This classic OVA series shows the more raunchier side of anime with great laughs. Being one of the funniest anime ever created this short mini-series shows that anime can provide laugh out loud moments in raunchy fashion while adding some heart to the perverted main character.

Q5: Do you dress a certain way or act a certain way when meeting up with others of this fandom?
A: No, I dress how I normally dress and act how I normally act whenever I'm with people who share the same interests.

Q6: Do you think this fandom is more male or female oriented?
A: There is enough content for it to be of equal orientation, but with the way anime is perceived by both genders in most societies it comes off as being more male oriented, but that's kind of expected in a patriarchal society.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Sex: Female

Something like 6 years since I became a hardcore anime watcher.

TV when I was a brat. Pokemon, Digimon, Cardcaptor, Dragon Spheres, etc., and mainly Saint Seiya. ----6 years gap---- an online buddy from Sweden recommended me some stuff.

Fansubs or official streaming.

Discs? Something like £2k I think.

No order and undoubtedly no accuracy:
(By franchise.)
Darker Than Black
Kara no Kyoukai
One Piece
GTO
Code Geass
Death Note
Angel Beats
Bakemonogatari
Evangelion
Higurashi

And currently in love with LOL Heroes and Steins;Gate.

Q4.2 What 3 Anime/Manga would you recommend for first-timers and why?
Monster, Mushi-shi, and NGE.

Never met.

Male.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Occupation: None. A couple months ago I was a lab tech at a university.

-Consciously, about 8 or 9 years. Though I was Pokemon fan in the late 90s

-Some friends at school were talking about the fights on some crazy cartoon show on Toonami. I went home and tuned in. Turns out the show in question was Dragonball Z.

-Most is purchased at online stores. I stream a little as well. Before I began working all my anime came from Cartoon Network/Adult Swim.

-Ugh, lots. Over 200 DVDs, 450 manga, and 100 manga anthologies (Shonen Jump, Yen Plus). I've probably spent several thousand (kinda painful to think about).

-FLCL, Naruto, Eden of the East, Evangelion, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Bacanno, Bleach, Summer Wars, Paranoia Agent.

-Anime, Cowboy Bebop and Summer Wars. Each have stories that newcomers can relate to. Summer Wars is more comforting with its family themes while Cowboy Bebop has that cool space-meets-wild-west feel. The fact that it's episodic also helps.
Manga, Death Note. It's a bit wordy, but it is absolutely captivating. It's moral questions and suspense will hook new readers.

-You can meet up with others of this fandom? Shocked Seriously, no.

-Overall it's pretty even. I think the guys have the edge in anime while the girls have the edge in manga.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Occupation: Part-time cashier at a pet store and I'm also a student worker at my college.

I've been into anime for about 15 years and I've been reading manga for about 8 years.

Well, I suppose you could say it started with Pokemon. I was changing the channel so I could watch Pokemon and I happened across Monster Rancher and I liked it. However, when I tried to find it again I ended up finding Digimon, which I loved! That only lead me to things like Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, DBZ, Cyborg 009, etc. I didn't realize what I was watching until middle school when I started using the computer.

I try to buy it, but if it's not available I will stream it or read fansubs.

On manga I've probably spent about $2,000 and anime probably about the same. So, around $4,000 or so in total.

No real order:
1) Baccano!
2) Puella Magi Madoka Magica
3) Natsume Yujincho
4) Eden of the East
5) Millennium Actress
6) Ugly Duckling's Love Revolution
7) 07-Ghost
8) Karneval
9) Sister Princess
10) Angel Beats

1) Millennium Actress - This is a great film and I think it would really help a first-timer understand why I loved anime so much. The way the story is told can get a person easily hooked and I think it was a good emotional investment.

2) Zoids: Chaotic Century - The characters in this one were awesome and I feel it would be accessible to people with little or no experience with anime.

3) Eden of the East - This anime is packs a lot. It has good characters, humor, drama, and story. Not to mention it's fun to watch in a group!

I did cosplay twice, but that is it.

I think it is pretty well-rounded, but if you go into where most merchandise is directed I'd say it's more male orientated.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Nearly 30 years, youngster.

I took a left turn at Albuquerque (to dodge the falling anvil).

With a credit card, usually, otherwise an internet connection.

Quote:

Yes. Alot and too much.

Time to really skew that damned statistics curve. Wink
In no particular order (except Aria):
Aria
Lucky Star
Bamboo Blade
Ghost Hunt
School Rumble
Saki
Sister Princess
Azumanga Daioh
Strike Witches
Spice & Wolf

Quote:
egA. My favourites are Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Hetalia Axis Powers, D.Gray-Man, Kuroshitsuji, Kyo Kara Maoh! and Wolf's Rain (not nessissarily in that order.)
Deja vu. Neutral

I wouldn't recommend any title.

I don't actively seek out others to meet in this fandom.

Q6. Do you think this fnadom is more male or female orientated?
The price of beans.

I see the statistical graph is starting to lean more to the left. Excellent.
Twisted Evil
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Since Ghost in the Shell came out on video, so about fifteen years.

I was 15 and my friend rented G.i.t.S. and I've been a fan ever since.

In the 90's and 00's it was frequent trips to Suncoast, now I watch legal streams and resort to fansubs for some shows. Manga at B&N.

80+ DVD's and a couple dozen VHS but nothing since '03. About 50 volumes of manga. I'm guessing about $3k.

In no particular order:
Berserk
GTO
Death Note
School Rumble
Rurouni Kenshin
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bakuman
Kaiji
Puella Magi

I'm only going to pick one. Akira, holds up against any sci-fi action title, animated or not and is still relevant today.

I don't know others of this fandom.

It seems surprisingly balanced in comparison to other, shall we say, marginalized entertainment pursuits.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Sex: female

10 years, give or take?

Toonami

Used stores, other people in trades, internets

Oho, yes! Around 600 manga and 90 some anime sets. No idea how much, maybe $1k a year?

Banana Fish, Princess Tutu, Maison Ikkoku, Hikaru no Go, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Firefighter Daigo of Fire Company M, anything Fumi Yoshinaga, anything Osamu Tezuka, anything Satoshi Kon

Just look at early [Adult Swim] and mid Toonami era shows, they picked great gateway drugs, what can I say? Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Avatar: The Last Airbender (even though it's not technically anime, it's close enough) would be my top 3 gateway drugs though

Not really, just normal clothes

Q6. Do you think this fandom is more male or female orientated
more male oriented, I used to think it was 50-50 when I was more naive, but I definitely think it's more male oriented for sure, just look at the gateway drug series I listed, they're more male oriented, only Avatar seems really gender neutral there.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Occupation: Information Resources Specialist (Work in library of an Education related NPO)

Aproximately 18 years. Although the level of fandom has steadily increased especially in the last ten, since it became more available and affordable. Only in the last couple years has it become my main and near exclusive entertainment choice.

Exposed to Akira and then a number of other action shows in the mid-nineties by college friends. Expanded my interest to shows with a slice of life aspect from from watching Tenchi Muyo on Cartoon Network in the late nineties. Finally started watching streaming shows and downloading unlicensed shows 2-3 years ago.

1. Streaming 2. Torrenting otherwise unavailable shows' fansubs. 3.DVD/BD, usually online stores- bargain hunting.

A fraction of what other fans have, around 60 titles (including box sets and movies equally as single titles). I'm picky, cheap, and until recently I split my interests more with other collecting interests such as comic books. Oddly, considering my regular comic interest, I don't own much manga and those I bought I only recently started following, Yotsuba&!, Cross Game, and Bunny Drop. Don't really know how much I have spent, a couple hundred this year, similar amount last year but almost nothing other years. In total maybe around $1000-$1500 over ten years, which is, of course, minuscule by other's budgets, but as I say, I'm picky and cheap- I never pay retail.

Spirited Away
Millennium Actress
Azumanga Daioh
Tenchi Muyo
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmei
Kamichu
Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space
Toradora

Spirited Away: for being a magical little movie,accessible to adults and kids.
Tokyo Godfathers: Millennium Actress is my favorite Kon film but if we're talking accessable than TG is an awesom universal story, it's got that magical quality again, plus a bit of an edge with its subject matter.
Cowboy Bebop: no better intro to anime action series for almost all ages.

I might wear a relevant t-shirt if seeing people who may appreciate it.

Male, but more integrated than the US comics fandom.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue May 24, 2011 1:12 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote

While I have been exposed to anime for 17 years, I have only been seriously committed to it for 9 years.

Seen anime originally through Sci-Fi Channel's frequent airings of anime movies in the mid-1990s. Started being more active with my viewing in the early 2000s via Cartoon Network's Toonami and Adult Swim blocks.

Buy it through online and retail stores, rent it through Netflix, stream it online and/or download fansubs.

I've been buying anime DVDs on-and-off since 2003. Have spent close to or over $4,000 since I started collecting as I've collected some titles that have been long out-of-print, in particular Kimagure Orange Road and Great Teacher Onizuka.

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Monster
3. Koi Kaze
4. Key the Metal Idol
5. Kiki's Delivery Service
6. RahXephon
7. Tenchi Muyo OAVs
8. Aoi Bungaku Series
9. Dennou Coil
10. FLCL

1. Kiki's Delivery Service- Great introduction to Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki films that the entire family can see and introduces one to all the trademark elements of Ghibli.
2. Cowboy Bebop- The perfect example of a gateway drug anime for newcomers.
3. Haibane Renmei- An emotionally powerful and thought-provoking series focused on the everyday activities of the Haibane. The easiest series to get hooked on coming from graphic designer Yoshitoshi Abe.

I behave no differently than I do when I interact with anyone else of the fandom.

I do feel anime fandom has become increasingly more male oriented in recent years with the number of otaku-oriented titles that re-hashed conventional elements at the cost of more original and cutting edge ideas.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote

About 7 years

Through a friend

Purchase and download

About 500 volumes of manga and about 15 DVDs. I've probably spent over a thousand pounds on being a fan.

(In no particular order)
Nodame Cantabile, Cardcaptor Sakura, Ouran High School Host Club, Kimi ni Todoke, Sailor Moon, Bokura ga Ita, Fushigi Yuugi, Natsume Yuujinchou and Fruits Basket.

Depends on the person, but probably Fullmetal Alchemist, Fushigi Yuugi and Kuroshitsuji.

Only if I'm specifically cosplaying, otherwise no.

About equal.
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Male
40 (well in about a week)
Currently Unemployed (and looking for work)

All my life, seriously I grew up in the late '70s, early '80s and that is about the time that anime came over to the USA. With shows like Speed Racer, Voltron, Star Blazers, Robotech, and several others.

I did not really get into collecting anime until the '90s with the advent of the VHS tape, of course when they switched to DVD I did as well. Still have not bothered with Blu-Ray, and have no plans to.

As far as manga goes, I did not really get into that until about 2001 or so. I quickly bought a lot of them, and then sold them off. I only kept a very select few series that I really liked, and have not really bought much since.

Like I said above, I grew up watching it. Like the other fandom I am into, Godzilla. I have always been facinated by Japanese culture, of course this is due to silly Ninja movies/Samurai movies. I did not really learn about Japan, until the advent of the internet. I hope to one day visit Japan, to see some of the cool things that they have.

Legally by buying it at the store or online. I also use video stores/Netflix to watch some shows to see if they are a potential purchase. I don't currently have a very good computer at home (and I don't really have access to the internet except at the library/parents house) so I don't bother trying to stream stuff. I also have a very strong stance on bootlegs/fan-subs and avoid them like the plague. In the past I even went out of my way to point out bootlegs to employees at Half Price Books (I don't bother any more, since they don't seem to care).

Yes I have a pretty decent collection, while not as impressive as some of the people on this site, it still is about 400 DVD titles, which about 90% are anime. I have spent a lot of $, probably several thousand dollars over a 30 plus year span. Of course I have also sold off some of the stuff that I have had in the past, and in some cases even traded in older stuff to get newer stuff. When I started the VHS was the default medium for anime, and back then you actually spent more on the sub-only version. Plus there was only 2-3 episodes per tape, so I kind of get a kick out of people saying that anime is "expensive" now, since back then the VHS tapes were about $20 each. Since I was really into Star Blazers, I got the Iscandar season (which is only the first season) and it was about 20 or so VHS tapes long.

Anime: (No particular order): School Rumble, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, Mushishi, Slayers (all of them), Tenchi Muyo (all of them), Code Geass, Moribito, Chobits, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Ponyo.

Manga: (no particular order, and only have 4): Yotsuba, Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, and Strawberry Marshmallow.

Anime:
My Neighbor Totoro: cause it is a very good/heartwarming story and is full of wonder.

Cowboy Bebop: The classic show about bounty hunters in space. It has everything, action, comedy, romance, and some of the most memorable characters ever.

School Rumble: This show is just so darn funny, cute, and full of really great characters. If you don't laugh while watching this, there is something seriously wrong with you IMO. Also since pretty much everybody goes to High School, you can relate to some of the stuff that goes on. This show seriously made me wish that even 5% of the stuff that happened in this show would have actually happened when I went to High School (cause it sucked).

Manga:
Yotsuba: A very cute, funny series that everybody would like. It's full of wonder and funny situations. I still say they NEED to make an anime out of this series, cause it would be really really good & popular.

Lucky Star: Really easy to follow, this is similar to a "Peanuts" type comic, but with a twist. The all-girl cast are cute, and despite the "loli" apperances, they are in high school. Plus it takes a look at different "personality" types and how they get along.

Mushishi: a really great series, and despite not finishing it, I would recomend it to pretty much anybody. It has self contained stories, so there is not a very complicated plot. Plus some of the stuff they cover can make you seriously think.

Not really, if I go to a con (which has been a while) I do wear some sort of anime T-Shirt (for example Trigun). I do wash, and wear deoderant so I try to make people comfortable. I did wear some store bought (Goodwill) cosplay one year, but I have no plans to try it again.

I have met both, and I think it is about even. Depending on what genre you are dealling with. Heck I even enjoy some Shojo stuff, or Josei as well. There are actually a surprising amount of older people who are into this as well, heck I even met some people that looked to be in their '50s.
Griffolian

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote

I have been into Anime/Manga for a long time. I always watched it (not knowing it was "anime) when I was kid back when Toonami was in its prime. I seriously got into anime as a hobby around eight years ago.
I have always been fascinated with many story lines in various animes. I like them a lot more than some of my favorite movies and books. They tend to push my buttons in a way that other media simply cannot.
I generally always buy my anime/manga. I use Netflix to try out most of my anime, but if the cover looks interesting, then I'll give it a shot. I generally never watch episodes online unless they are too expensive to buy (like sailor moon) or have never hit the States.
Tough question. I'm a big Shōjo fan, but this type of anime could be very overwhelming to new viewers and readers.
1. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. This is one of my all time favorite story lines in an anime, or anything.
2. Naruto: A little cliche, but it does the job. It has brought a lot of my friends into the anime world.
3. Howl's Moving Castle: This is my favorite Ghibli film and the world and characters are so captivating, that it will bring anyone a smile.
No.
I would say it is about even.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2