• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anyone know if street fighter II the uncut ?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayupan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if street fighter II the movies is going to be re-released on DVD that uncut, subtitle and widescreen edition ?
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:20 pm Reply with quote
well it is on dvd and "uncut"
anime#2302

though the uncut is still edited...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Actually, that was one of the first two or three North American-released anime DVDs ever. At the time, the domestic market for anime on DVD was completely untested, so I don't blame Sony for doing a dub-only DVD as I don't know if they even had the rights for the Japanese audio and music and, if that was the case, they certainly didn't have any idea whether or not there would have been enough of an audience to justify the cost of spending extra on licensing the Japanese audio, but now that anime fandom has gone from being a microscopic niche to the small niche it is today, if they did put out a version with the original Japanese dialogue and music, I'd probably buy it. I don't generally care about the animated versions of Street Fighter II, or for animated adaptations of videogames in general, but, for what it is, the theatrical Street Fighter II film was actually quite beautifully done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
though the uncut is still edited...

Really, where?

I picked up the Unrated verson waaaayyyyy back in the day (in '96 I believe). Cool flick, definitely one of my all time favorites. Plus *side note*, I first heard of Korn on that movie(to this day, my favorite band, despite some lackluster albums in '99 and '02)

BTW, they were on the ending credits with the song "Blind".
EMY23-23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Yup...It's Blind by KoRn Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I think the "uncut" version still had a few shots missing from Chun-Li's shower scene. I've never seen the uncut version, I've only seen the movie a couple of times as a fansub at my old club.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:14 pm Reply with quote
IRC the only edit in the "uncut" version was the music was changed to american rock groups
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I've seen both fansubed and the "uncut" version released over here, and yes, there is different music and Chun Li's shower scene is still edited in the US version. I don't know why, but it is.
mahoro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote
IMHO Sony is screwing itself over by releasing this so... late in the dvd sales game. The movie itself is awesome, unedited and in the original Japanese dialogue (heck you hardly need to understand what is said to appreciate & enjoy the film). SFII movie has one the best animated fight scenes, IMHO many times superior to all of the Fatal Fury animated movies (though I enjoyed that series too which is sadly unresolved...).

Sadly, from what I hear there are no plans to rerelease this unedit with the original dialogue. If someone knows who we should contact at places like Sony or Viz to tell them what we REALLY want, pass along the info! Thanks! Wink
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't know if it's entirely fair to say that Sony's shooting themselves in the foot by not rereleasing this, Sony, of course, being a corporate behemoth, and, even if you ignore the consumer electronics and PlayStation divisions and concentrate only on the North American branch of their visual entertainment division, it's still a massive spiderweb of subdivisions like the Columbia-TriStar studios, CTHE (Columbia-Tristar Home Entertainment), Sony Pictures Classics, and Sony Wonder, and those are just the ones I can name off the top of my head. As a result, obviously, they have thousands if not tens of thousands of individual video titles, and everything except their biggest box office hits like Spider-Man is going to fade to some level of obscurity, with little chances of being re-released on DVD if the initial DVD was less than satisfactory, since, at any one time, even all of their divisions together can only focus on the production and marketing of a few hundred, at most, of the titles in their library. (I'm still waiting for a special edition of Wes Anderson's Bottle Rocket... ideally, they'd let Criterion do it, but I'd take a Criterion-esque CTHE DVD.)

However, in this specific case, anime having grown into a robust niche market and 8 and 16-bit era nostalgia being one of the big things in the videogaming world currently, especially on the Gameboy Advance and GameCube, I think the time would be about right for a DVD rerelease of the Street Fighter II animated film. But you can not just go to Sony and ask, since Sony's so big that the guys in the head office really would not pay much attention to demands for a rerelease of a niche title which, even if it were very successful, would sell, at most, one or two percent of the number of copies that Spider-Man sells... ya really gotta know who within Sony to ask, and, thankfully, Sony now has a division ideally suited for a release such as this, Destination Films, the division which released Metropolis and Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (in partnership with Samuel Goldwyn Films). I suggest, though, if you want to get in touch with Destination Films about the possibility of rereleasing SFII, you agitate solely for uncut video and the Japanese audio and music as, yes, it would be nice if everything was released as a nifty two-disk set with tonnes of extras, but since it's a back-catalogue niche title not up for any awards this year, going to Japan and getting the rights to whatever featurettes and other archival footage which they wouldn't remotely have considered getting the rights to back in the mid-90s would probably prove to be too much of a headache to be worth it. Let's keep our hopes realistic.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Say, does anyone actually have contact info for Destination Films? They don't seem to give any on their site. Not for any specific person, just a general address for enquiries like [email protected] would be fine. (That's not an actual e-mail address, as far as I know, just an example.)
mahoro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi... you do know that SFII the motion picture was one of the most well received animated films when it came out? Yes it is now unimportant in comparison to other relatively current films, but, that does not change the fact that SFII was a huge cashcow that still retains popularity (albeit considerably less) amongst paying fans. My burning question is this, why did Sony even bother to edit the damn film when the people watching this title ARE watching it because they WANT to see the entire film (shower scene, blood & guts AND in the Japanese dialogue WITH the kickass JP songs)!? Btw, as you may know the SFII Japanese soundtrack sold VERY well, I do not think the same can be said about most English dubbed soundtracks (if they even offered it). All in all, it is disappointing and yes I still stand by my previous stance.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Cash cow by "anime in the mid-90s" standards, perhaps, but the bar for what could be considered successful was much lower. In any event, Sony was aiming the original releases of the film at the wider market of people that liked the many variants of the Street Fighter II game, which had a significant juvenile fanbase, and the purists that hate any adjustment made to an anime to make it more suitable to the mainstream juvenile market in the North America weren't even a blip on the radar back then, so they didn't feel a need to accommodate those concerns. And the only companies doing subtitled anime in that era were micro-niche companies like A.D. Vision, AnimEigo, and Viz. Even some of the other, now defunct, anime companies of the era, like Streamline and U.S. Renditions, usually did dub-only releases. If a mainstream company like Sony Music Entertainment picked up the rights to an anime film, it would only ever get a dubbed release, usually with the music changed, because that's the way things were done back then. I know that, for some people, myself included, 1995 still seems like relatively recent history, but in terms of the visibility of anime and the way that the non-kiddy TV franchise anime is treated when it's sold on video, the difference between 1995 and 2004 is like the difference between night and day. Even in 1997, when the DVD version was released, while it would have been technically possible to include a Japanese soundtrack, they didn't think there would have been enough of a demand for the Japanese audio to bother licensing it, Sony not having a future-seeing television to see that bilingual releases of anime (except for the kiddy TV franchise stuff) would be the norm. At the time they were pioneers, not really having any anime DVD releases to compare it to.

I can't stop someone for hating what Sony did to the film back then, but, while what they did would be unacceptable by 2004 standards, it was the norm for the era.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1