• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo International?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:35 pm Reply with quote
What would Anime Expo going "International" entail? Anime Expos outside the United States? Where would they hold them? London and Sydney? Montreal would be a fine city to hold an AX, if they tied it in with FantAsia, but I guess we're too close to the East Coast AX in New York (same goes for Toronto). Are the AX organizers seeking to make Anime Expo a global franchise? I though most countries outside the "Anglosphere" (with large enough fanbases for Japanese animation) already had their own cons. Would the quality of the Japanese guests (manga creators, animators/directors and seiyuu) be the same for the International AXs as for the American AXs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:51 pm Reply with quote
AX Tokyo.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

AX Tokyo.

But would that work? Japan isn't exactly virgin territory for coventions about Japanese animation. I mean, AX Tokyo would just be one of hundreds of anime events over there each year, wouldn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Tempest wrote:

AX Tokyo.

But would that work? Japan isn't exactly virgin territory for coventions about Japanese animation. I mean, AX Tokyo would just be one of hundreds of anime events over there each year, wouldn't it?

Yes, it would be. But it would also be the first successful _american-based_ anime convention hosted in Japan.

I can see a few vague business-related benefits from hosting a con in Japan (regardless of how successful it is).. mostly image-related, though, rather than financially-related.

I think AX International is just a stepping stone for them to something bigger. I mean, an American con in Japan? How could you do better than that? What's bigger/better? Got me.. but a business/organization with no higher goals will stagnate and fail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:14 pm Reply with quote
The only way I'd go to an AX in Tokyo was is if the airlines and hotels gave out special discounts for members.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:33 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

The only way I'd go to an AX in Tokyo was is if the airlines and hotels gave out special discounts for members.

Well, yeah, that would be the only reason I could think to hold an American-run AX in Japan; if it were held in English for the gaijin tourists. I still can't think of any good reason why the Japanese fans would much care for a Japanese animation fest on their home turf run by foreigners, unless they screened some American/Canadian animation and brought in American/Canadian animators and vocal talent. The reps from the American distribution companies already attend the big Japanese-run events in Japan to make business contacts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1