• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
X question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pimpf

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote
In X, are Subaru and Seishiro.. gay? or are they just having some kind of intense brotherly love for each other?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
Your question reminds me a lot of this thread. Not the part about asking if someone is gay, but the fact that you aren't being detailed enough in your question.

In any case, it looks like you realize there's something beyond homosexuality here, but I'm not good at explaining these bishounen releationships myself. I'll leave this thread open for now so you can at least get a few answers.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
pimpf wrote:
In X, are Subaru and Seishiro.. gay? or are they just having some kind of intense brotherly love for each other?

Tokyo Babylon spoilers:

spoiler[Through much of Tokyo Babylon, Seishiro claims to love Subaru, much to the approval of Subaru's sister, Hokuto, all while being a bit too overwhelming for the young Subaru.

Eventually, Seishiro's true colors begin to surface, and after he kills Hokuto, he captures Subaru underneath the cherry blossom tree they first met. He says that he had made a deal with himself that if he could actually fall in love with Subaru within a year's time of having met him, Seishiro would not have to kill him, but he then says he had no feelings at all towards Subaru, even after the year's time.

Just a bit earlier, Subaru had come to the realization that he truly did love Seishiro, only to be completely betrayed by him, leaving him the cold, hollow shell you see in X.]

I'll leave the answer up to you. Personally, I'd say no. CLAMP works in a lot of relationships that are homosexual, but not because the characters themselves are flamboyantly so, but rather they can't help the person they fall in love with.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote
Just remember that boy love works kind of differently than it does in the here United States of America. Most of the time men will be afraid to admit that they love another man, if it's even so. Think of it as taboo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1