• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DVD language settings?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:18 am Reply with quote
Probably a silly question, I havn't purchased any dvd copies of anime yet but I plan to in the near future, and was wondering if most recent releases have settings for A) Japanese with english subtitles and B) the normal dub?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
Pretty much all anime released gives you the option between the japanese voices with subtites or the english voices. In rare instances it will have only one or the other but it's always clearly marked on the back of the DVD case or on the site you purchase it from if the dealer is reputable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Pretty much all anime released gives you the option between the japanese voices with subtites or the english voices. In rare instances it will have only one or the other but it's always clearly marked on the back of the DVD case or on the site you purchase it from if the dealer is reputable.

Okay, one more nooby question, would there be a way to check this online, since it's kinda hard to hold the box and read the back of it over the net.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

Okay, one more nooby question, would there be a way to check this online, since it's kinda hard to hold the box and read the back of it over the net.

Most of the online sites I visit list the language options in the description of the product. Sometimes, the name of the item on a site will have an (S), (D), or (HYB) following the title and DVD number. S = Sub only (Japanese language), D = Dub only (English language), and HYB = hybrid, which means it has both languages available, as well as English subtitles.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
And one more thing, if you're looking to buy online as it seems you are you definitely have to watch out for bootlegs. Make sure the company you're buying from is a reputable company like TRSI, DVDEmpire, Amazon(not their marketplace), TFAW and so on. If it's a 20 some odd episode series on 2-discs for $20 and looks to good to be true then it probably is or if it's Region 0 coded then there's a good possibility it's a bootleg as well.

The best way to confirm whether it is or not is to go to the official licensors website like ADVor Funimation and look at their product list to confirm it matches what you're looking at. For more information on watching for bootlegs can check this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jaybug39

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Almost all the anime I have recieved from Netflix has had me choose either play or something. The discs are not on auto start, like some movies. Actually most movies are asking me to set-up something anyway.

It seems to me that it is only the older titles that will automatically play, and that in english. So if you find that and want Subs not dubs, hit menu and set-up and make your choices.

The biggest problem I have is trying to guess where some cursors are is certain titles. Just love not having perfect color vision sometimes, Evil or Very Mad Makes me wonder what it would be like if I didn't have a 36" TV. to make everything so nice and big Shocked
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
And one more thing, if you're looking to buy online as it seems you are you definitely have to watch out for bootlegs. Make sure the company you're buying from is a reputable company like TRSI, DVDEmpire, Amazon(not their marketplace), TFAW and so on. If it's a 20 some odd episode series on 2-discs for $20 and looks to good to be true then it probably is or if it's Region 0 coded then there's a good possibility it's a bootleg as well.

The best way to confirm whether it is or not is to go to the official licensors website like ADVor Funimation and look at their product list to confirm it matches what you're looking at. For more information on watching for bootlegs can check this thread.

A thing to note with Amazon(at least the UK version, haven't checked the US) is that often the DVD sales will state Region 0 on the site but the delivered goods state clearly region 2 on the back, so as long as you buy directly from Amazon and not a second hand from someone else on the site it is likely to be the correct encoding for that release.

(all of the WHR DVD's and some of the RahXephon all stated region 0 but when delivered had region 2 written on the back)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
There's either going to be: English dub, English dub with subs, Japanese dub, or Japanese dub with subs. Rarely is there a DVD that has Japanese dub with the other three. Although I've encountered a couple DVD's that had no English dialogue whatsoever (released BY American companies). R2 is usaully going to be Japanese dub only.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
hmm, okay thanks...

first thing I'm gonna purchase is gonna be the entire Neon Genesis Evangelion series, would anyone happen to know the difference between the platinum collection and the normal one? it's quiet a price difference O.o;
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The Platinum Collection contains the remastered version of the series as well as the extended versions of episodes 21-24.

The Perfect Collection is the old DVDs which are pretty bad quality wise.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
The Platinum Collection contains the remastered version of the series as well as the extended versions of episodes 21-24.

that's intresting, on adv's website the perfect is like twice the price of the platinum, /shrug why complain about positive things Razz
Alex K.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
Swordfish_II wrote:

that's intresting, on adv's website the perfect is like twice the price of the platinum, /shrug why complain about positive things Razz

Positive? I'm lost.

Anyway, the Platinum Edition is newer and cheaper, plus it has tons of extras. The Perfect Collection is just a set of the old DVDs from 2000. It's probably more expensive because they never bothered to change the price after the PE came out.

And why are you buying from ADV's website? Of course it's going to be expensive there! You can find anime DVDs for extremely low prices at places like http://www.rightstuf.com, http://www.animeonestop.com and http://www.animenation.net, among others. Just don't try eBay, because chances are you'll get a bootleg without even knowing it, and you'll never get your money back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1