• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion live action movie and possible trend-starter.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
As I'm sure most of you know, an Evangelion live action movie is being made. I'm not really asking about that project, but the possible trend it could start. Remember the whole comic-book to movie trend became pretty ridiculous as quite a few of them came to be over just a few years. Now I know there have been these adaptions that are a couple decades old, but, probably due to the X-Men movie, there were so many that came out in recent years that it was pretty big trend.
Do you think that the Eva movie will start the same trend with anime?
I personally think that if it does, then it won't be a good trend. Remember how many of the comicbook movies were pretty poor or just downright terrible. The same thing will happen with anime; people will try to just make a profit and put a load of crap on the screen. There may be a few good ones (as there were a few really good comicbook movies), but the good/bad ratio will be in favor of the bad. However, I also think that this will depend on the outcome of the Eva movie; if it is successful, then that trend is likely to happen, if it flops, then it's safe to say that it won't happen.
So, what do think?
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'll worry about whether or not it starts a trend when (if?) it ever gets made. And it's hardly the only live-action anime-based project being worked on; James Cameron seems committed to eventually making a proper live-action Battle Angel Alita movie, for instance, and there are a couple of others supposedly in the works.

And I'd disagree that good comic book-based movies are even in the minority. Both X-Men movies, both Spider-Man movies (especially the second one), the Daredevil movie, the Hellraiser movie, and Sin City were all solid projects, and the merits of a few others (Incredible Hulk and Fantastic Four immediately come to mind) are at least debatable. Sure, there were some real stinkers (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, anyone?) but there's no higher a percentage there than in the live-action genre in general.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Starting a trend?

More like following a trend... the trend of "live-action anime movies that were announced by someone at one point or another but which stalled in early development". Just like live-action Akira and live-action Dragonball Z, and those two were being developed by major studios, not just the domestic distributor and a special effects house.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And I'd disagree that good comic book-based movies are even in the minority. Both X-Men movies... the Daredevil movie... were all solid projects

You think the second X-Men movie was good? AND DAREDEVIL?!

But start a trend? I don't think so, I mean so many manga/anime are adapted into live-action, anyway, so debating if it'll start a trend or not is moot.

[ot] I'm seeing some convention banners Very Happy how did that work out for ANN

Last edited by RezSav on Wed May 03, 2006 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
jousha

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
the Daredevil movie

Blecch! I think that goes into the debatable category as well.

If EVA: The Movie ever comes into production, I think it is possible to start a trend of live-action anime. Especially with anime on the rise of Disney's Miyazaki releases, AS, and other networks' efforts in bringing anime to us.

I'd also hope a trend in American animation becoming more like anime comes into affect (i.e. geared to more than just children, while not always relying on comedy). The Boondocks is (almost) getting there, while Richard Linklater's movies are spot on but just need more attention.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Key wrote:

And I'd disagree that good comic book-based movies are even in the minority. Both X-Men movies... the Daredevil movie... were all solid projects

You think the second X-Men movie was good? AND DAREDEVIL?!

well I agree that daredevil was poor(and elektra...oh god...)

But X-Men, both films, were excellent, they get across the feel of political and social unrest and racial(special?) hatred as a major theme and its this that I feel helps the movies work well, rather than super powered people doing super powered things(which are well done) its super powered people doing super powered things for a reason and having effects upon the world at large. I think they showed that comics can contain(and do) adult themes and well thought out serious topics such as racism and people trying to fit into a society that doesnt want them.

If they do decide to make a full feature anime movie(such as EVA) I sincerely hope they concentrate on the serious side of it, the themes it deals with, the philosophical what nots rather than just turn it into a generic action film with pretty robots.

I also hope they down play the anime side of it, I know it shouldnt matter but if people see it as a real film rather than an anime adaption then they should see past the anime stereotypes and watch it for its actual merits as a film.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Whatever happened to that whisper about Disney wanting to adapt Kiki's Delivery Service to live-action?

And the comic-book movie trend ... well ... a lot of that is just Marvel and DC/WB realizing that they can make way more money from superhero movies than their superhero comics, because movies are more mainstream and likely to be seen by normal human beings, whereas the screwy Direct Market has reduced the comics to the level of hard-to-find boutique items and antiques. If anime studios suddenly decide that North American live-action remakes are going to become some miraculous profit source, then start worrying.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
But X-Men, both films, were excellent, they get across the feel of political and social unrest and racial(special?) hatred as a major theme and its this that I feel helps the movies work well, rather than super powered people doing super powered things(which are well done) its super powered people doing super powered things for a reason and having effects upon the world at large. I think they showed that comics can contain(and do) adult themes and well thought out serious topics such as racism and people trying to fit into a society that doesnt want them.

Quote:

Wolverine: "Black Spandex?"
Cyclops: "What did you expect, Yellow and Blue Costumes??"

Yeah, the movie does have it's faults.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion both X-Men movies sucked. The first got little character development and the story was pretty much what I would expect. The 2nd movie was even worse with cameo appearances. Adding even more characters to the already huge cast dragged that movie down even more. Jean Grey's death in X-Men 2 was pointless (though I know it is done so that she comes back as Phoenix in the 3rd movie). Pretty much i'm those movies were crap and so will the next one.

So far the only good comic book to movie movie would be Spider and Spider Man 2 though I think the first one was better by far than the 2nd one.

I mean here are the comic book to movies that have been released in the last few years:

Blade
Blade 2
Blade Trinity
Punisher
Elektra
DareDevil
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
X-Men
X-Men 2: X-Men United
The Incredible Hulk
Fantastic Four
Batman Begins

In my opinion alot of those movies were crap except the ones I mentioned before.

Also there are already a quite a number of Live-Action anime out there. Theres a Battle Royal Live action though I think it came out before the manga and the anime. Theres a live-action Great Teacher Onizuka movie or was it a tv series? but theres that and theres also an H2 live action series. Seeing as theres all this theres already alot of live-action anime. They may not be films but its not an uncommon trend to me.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
opaquescum

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say it but most comic book movies are bonafide money makers. They are mere popcorn flicks, and to expect much more is a tad naive. You go get a comic license, and make the movie. The comics readers show up in droves, and mindless teens come to see the wicked violence. There is a reason that so many comic movies are comeing out. They are makeing money. Even the worst comic book movie usually makes back what was spent with a marginal profit.

After you make the box office take you also get a share of all the merchandiseing. T shirts, lunchboxes, toys, oh and lets not forget videogames. Compare that to dramas, or feal good flicks. They can flop even when critically acclaimed, and how many the english patient action figures are there.

We can say god X-men 2 really sucked, but you know what thats a oppinion. The proof is in what got put in the bank. Usually hundreds of millions of dollars.

The sad truth is any anime live action flick that is made from a decent license will drag in alot of cash. Especially if it is made barely edible. Which I doubt is the case. You will get a film made with alot of special effects, and the director will try real hard not to have it come off too corny. All the anime buffs will go, and see it. All the teens who thirst for some sick twisted action will go see it, and to both groups sad to say the quality will not be issue number one. That will only be the issue when it comes time for the DVD to be released.

Will it be a trend setter absolutely. Lets face it aslong as it makes money which in all likelihood it will. Then hollywood will keep going back to the golden goose. They have pretty much bled marvel, and DC dry of their solid fair. I mean comeon hellboy made it to the bigscrean.
jousha

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
opaquescum wrote:
I hate to say it but most comic book movies are bonafide money makers.

I agree. People forget too easily that making movies is a business: money is indeed an issue in what they dish out. But the same goes for other forms of entertainment as well. One shouldn't blame the industry when quality doesn't sell and Dukes of Hazard does.

opaquescum wrote:
They are mere popcorn flicks, and to expect much more is a tad naive.

I disagree. I wouldn't consider films like Superman, Batman Begins, or Spider Man 1 & 2 "popcorn flicks." Heck, The Incredible Hulk even steered away from complete mindless action. Those films have a great deal to do with story and I'm sure there's more to the desire of making the comic into a film than the green. I for one have imagined films being made of a lot of books and comics; it's just I don't have that strong of a desire to make them, nor the industry to support me.

I'd like to add Sin City as another quality piece, though it's less comic and more graphic novel--but I think it counts.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
In my opinion both X-Men movies sucked. The first got little character development and the story was pretty much what I would expect. The 2nd movie was even worse with cameo appearances. Adding even more characters to the already huge cast dragged that movie down even more. Jean Grey's death in X-Men 2 was pointless (though I know it is done so that she comes back as Phoenix in the 3rd movie). Pretty much i'm those movies were crap and so will the next one.

So far the only good comic book to movie movie would be Spider and Spider Man 2 though I think the first one was better by far than the 2nd one.

I mean here are the comic book to movies that have been released in the last few years:

Blade
Blade 2
Blade Trinity
Punisher
Elektra
DareDevil
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
X-Men
The Incredible Hulk
Fantastic Four
Batman Begins

In my opinion alot of those movies were crap except the ones I mentioned before.

But X-Men 1 and 2 were good. So will X-Men 3. In my opinion, The Incredible Hulk was terrible, boring. Spider-MAn 1 and 2 also kicked butt. Batman Begins was also a great movie. It even won best movie of 2005 says IGN. So not all comic-book movies are bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
YoMaNaTiOn

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I think that anime and manga live-action movies have nothing to do with the 'trend' of these days that Marvel/D.C. comics are following atm.

The only movie that worths it is (from the comics imports) V for Vendetta imo, all the others are sooo cliche...
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
How can you call a comic book-based movie "cliche" when it's just replicating as faithfully as possible what's in the comic?

And yeah, I completely forgot to mention V For Vendetta as one of the good ones.

Damn, what's with all this X-Men 2 hate out there? The movie worked, better than the first one, in fact, and even most professional movie critics agreed on that point.

And Daredevil was apparently a hit-or-miss movie; most people I've talked to who have seen it either really liked it or really didn't. Critic grades ranged from A- to D on that one. But I think it's unarguable that Elektra did suck.

Heh, I think we're way off topic here, guys. Razz
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I am very aware that there are already a few anime-to-live action adaptations, I'm not that ignorrant. But, this list posted:

IchigoK90 wrote:

Blade
Blade 2
Blade Trinity
Punisher
Elektra
DareDevil
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
X-Men
The Incredible Hulk
Fantastic Four
Batman Begins

All of those movies were on the big screen and pretty much everyone has at least heard about them and won't say "huh?" if you mention the title to them. AND, as said, they came out within a pretty short span of time of eachother. THAT is what I mean, THAT is the trend I'm talking of. The live-action animes that already exist are not well known and you'll be lucky to find copies in the average Sam Goody's unlike the listed comicbook movies that you could probably find on one of those racks in a Vons by the cash registers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4