• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Slayers Use of English in Spell Casting

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching Slayers A,B,C,D. And I find it amusing that the characters use english words in casting their spells. Even more odd in that this is the series I started to watch the subs, and not listen to the dubs.

I am sure there are more anime that use this convention, or english words for other purposes. I was hoping you could tell me of a few.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
You only want a few? Lots of foreign words have found their way into Japanese vocabulary. I'm sure the list of anime without any English peppered in is much shorter than the list of anime with English words mixed in. At least in anime made in the last 10-20 years.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
I think it's just "cool". Kind of like how you hear(or read) people going "Nani? How so?" or "Arigatou, that really helped."

Being able to speak another language is pretty nifty but simply adding in these words is kind of "cool" and "trendy". Personally, I find it tacky in both instances. I'll add japanese when I speak/write when I can actually say thoughts in japanese, not one or two words. The more anime you watch the more instances you'll find of this. It's pretty common.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
First off, welcome to the dark, shadowy world of elitist sub purist fandom Twisted Evil

Second, if you watch more subtitled anime, you'll find that English attacks (and English words in general) are very, very, common. Especially in Magical Girl anime like Sailor Moon, where all the transformation, Sailor Senshi names, and attacks are in English...or Sakura's "Release!" in Cardcaptor Sakura, the word "Practice" used by any magic-user in Ultra Maniac, and all the way up to "Materialise" said by the girls in Mai Otome. I'm fairly sure that this has been covered in detail in other threads, but basically, English is "cool" over there in Japan, so they throw it in for effect. As a sidenote, many words in English have been borrowed in Japanese, so you'll hear stuff like "hero" or "percent" or "restaurant," filtered through Japanese pronunciation of course.

To get an idea of how common English is, just think of series titles...it's more rare to see a title that's completely in Japanese than it is to see a title partially or completely in English. "Slayers," to start with.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
Ya, English is in anime all the time. The funniest scenes are when the characters are supposed to be English speaking and they do horrible dubbing (thinking of a certain thing from Beck, can't stop laughing).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
Such as Excel Saga or Puni Puni with English talking soldiers.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
Two of the English words I hear alot in the subtitled versions are "okay" and "thank you." So some words can become universal or like some countries feel...we're Americanizing the world and destroying cultures! Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I had always assumed that titles were translated into english from the original language. The only instance I can think of that does not follow this rule was the german film Das Boot.

Oh puh-lease, destroying cultures?!? Nope, won't go there, it's off topic.

I think I may have to watch twice, in case the dubs are good. BUt I do feel as if I have done more to increase my understanding of japanese, just by listening to this one series, than anything I have done in the 16 years since I had that one year of japanese. Call it the Victor Borge method of learning foreign languages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1