• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What makes a anime classic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Okay i hear people always saying NGE is a classic and Gatchman and things but why are they classics.

To be a true classic doesnt it have to be more than just old. Does it have to be popular or have a certain impact on the veiwers?

Are theyre requirements to be a classic? all in all.

Last edited by Viga_of_stars on Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Okay i hear peopl;e always saying NGE is a classic and Gatchman and things but why are they classics.

To be a true classic doesnt it have to be more than just old. Does it have to be popular or have a certain impact on the veiwers?

Well what I concluded as a classic is going to be difference from probably what you think, what would your idea of a classic be?

Personally Princess Mononoke is one of the titles that stands the test of time because it's feel accessible to all ages and can be show basically anytime and still has the great presence around it.

As for NGE, I don't know if it's a classic outside of anime fans but it certainly is infamous for it's story and uses of religion. That said NGE is one of stories that I love, but I hardly think that I could show this (part of) to a group of friends and get the same response as to something like Jin-Roh......althought Jin-Roh definetly has a mature feeling but I defintely think that the ending is one of the all time classic in my books.

Delta
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
This is a bit difficult to answer since people consider diffrent anime "classics" but when an anime is reguarded as one it usally has ALOT of support. I suppose a classic is an anime that has an orginal story, one thats engageing and entertaining and has characters that are unforgettable. A plot that leaves you saying "WTF thats soooo awsome", think about (live action) movies from the 50's and 60's they are reguarded as pillars because of there storys, plots, and characters. It's the way they handle they it, many Miyazaki's older movies were reguarded as classics not because of their popularity (though popularity comes hand in hand with being a classic, sorta) but because the characters were amazing the places they were in streched the imagination and the plots were entertaining. Also a classic doesn't have to be old, its just that as years go by original stories are hard to come by which is understandable of course. A classic for me would have to be A Wind Named Amnesia, for the reasons listed above. It had a orignal story though the theme had been done before, it had interesting characters and a deep plot that didn't exactly leave you asking questions but it just had that impact like "whoa that was really good". Wink

Note: If you haven't seen it you should. Very Happy

Edit: Had alot of spelling and grammer errors cause I wrote it really fast.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
This is a bit difficult to answer since people consider diffrent anime "classics" but when an anime is reguarded as one it usally has ALOT of support. I suppose a classic is an anime that has an orginal story, one thats engageing and entertaining and has characters that are unforgettable. A plot that leaves you saying "WTF thats soooo awsome", think about (live action) movies from the 50's and 60's they are reguarded as pillars because of there storys, plots, and characters. It's the way they handle they it, many Miyazaki's older movies were reguarded as classics not because of their popularity (though popularity comes hand in hand with being a classic, sorta) but because the characters were amazing the places they were in streched the imagination and the plots were entertaining. Also a classic doesn't have to be old, its just that as years go by original stories are hard to come by which is understandable of course. A classic for me would have to be A Wind Named Amnesia, for the reasons listed above. It had a orignal story though the theme had been done before, it had interesting characters and a deep plot that didn't exactly leave you asking questions but it just had that impact like "whoa that was really good". Wink

Note: If you haven't seen it you should. Very Happy

Edit: Had alot of spelling and grammer errors cause I wrote it really fast.

What this man says is true, the works of Osshi (ghost in the shell), Anno (Evangelion) and Miyazaki were quiet ground breaking in animation and many of their works are highly regarded for this reason. Personally I believe these are the guys who saved animation and put a new standard on modern fiction, both animated and literature.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
If you notice, there are many ways works of art can become classics; but, usually, the classics in things like anime are the pioneers and groundbreakers who find new ways to do things, and make a splash with it.

Think of Elvis Presley. The first time I heard his music I knew I heard it everywhere before--and I didn't even listen to music that much, especially the older ones--and yet, quite frankly, he was one of the first in the founding of rock&roll, and deserves all the praise. He might or might not be the absolute first, which I do not know, but he was the first to truly make the splash.

Same thing for Evangelion. Some older fans would readily point you towards examples of things that happened in Evangelion which happened before somewhere, some time. It was nonetheless something I'd consider a classic for being groundbreaking and made a very big splash with it too. Those who deny Evangelion's influence in anime are probably just a little bit bitter.

However, personal classics are different, and the reasons for it would be far more diverse than what I claimed above; such a thing as watching it, hearing it, or finding it at the right place in the right time, be it childhood or a very special day, can make a thing a classic for a person as much as pure quality. It could even be that it is his or her first while not a "true first" in the timeline. Did any of you ever remember your first harem series? When it was fresh and fun and not the tired otaku's crap that it is?
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Same thing for Evangelion. Some older fans would readily point you towards examples of things that happened in Evangelion which happened before somewhere, some time. It was nonetheless something I'd consider a classic for being groundbreaking and made a very big splash with it too. Those who deny Evangelion's influence in anime are probably just a little bit bitter.

However, personal classics are different, and the reasons for it would be far more diverse than what I claimed above; such a thing as watching it, hearing it, or finding it at the right place in the right time, be it childhood or a very special day, can make a thing a classic for a person as much as pure quality. It could even be that it is his or her first while not a "true first" in the timeline. Did any of you ever remember your first harem series? When it was fresh and fun and not the tired otaku's crap that it is?

Yes, thats true a series doesn't have to be original to be classic , but they usally are, they just have to be groundbreaking. The highlighted statement is also very true, a personal classics for me would be Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Slayers, and Tenchi Muyo. For me the series listed above are classics, Tenchi Muyo being a harem classic for me, Outlaw Star, Cowboy bebop, and slayers being the first experiences with action/adventure series for me. I do consider NGE to be a classic since it was one of the first really physiological and philosophical anime I had seen at the time, though that doesn't mean it was the best but a personal classic to me since it was a first experience with that kind of anime.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I dont really know what it ACTUALLY takes for an anime to be classic, a lot of people would say Speed Racer and Astro Boy are, I would too, but also say classics wuold include Slayers, Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo, but i dont even know if its MY personal classics i just believethat they are, Including NGE, Ninja Scroll and even Ah! My Goddess to some perspective or another......it really is mostly a personal thought
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Some people think that Fullmetal Alchemist will be a classic. **shrugs** Who knows. I like it. It's currently one of my favorites. Will it and the movie stand the test of time? Again, who knows.

I think that one anime that will always be considered a "general" classic will be Akira as that was what got some of the "old school" generation into anime.

Personal classics are a different story. For me, it's Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yugi & Ceres. Sailor Moon was the first anime that I truly registered as anime in my mind and the first series that hooked me into the genre. FY was recommended to me and thus became the second one I watched. Ceres, well, it's just a damn good story.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
So im guessing so far to be a classic it must

-stand the test of time
-inspire a whole gen of future otaku
-be the first of its kind
-be old but being old isnt a requirement
-cont. to be a favorite among fans

right?
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Timeless unforgettable classics like the Transformers. No matter how old - people won't forget.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

-stand the test of time

right?

I wouldn't say it would inspire a whole gen of future otaku but I'm sure they have influence on all otakus. Wink Actually Sailor Moon was my first Magic girl anime I saw with my sister.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

-stand the test of time

right?

I wouldn't say it would inspire a whole gen of future otaku but I'm sure they have influence on all otakus. Wink

a good influence or the influence that makes me hear kids say "BELIEVE IT!" all the time. lol
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
omar235 wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

-stand the test of time

right?

I wouldn't say it would inspire a whole gen of future otaku but I'm sure they have influence on all otakus. Wink

a good influence or the influence that makes me hear kids say "BELIEVE IT!" all the time. lol

My cousin says it all the time along with saying "baka" and other sayings that make me smile. Wink
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Although it's kind of an arbitrary rule and there are obviously exceptions but the rule I go by to determine what is a classic and what is not is whether it predates the first Tenchi Muyo - Ryoohki OAV series. I consider this anime above all others to be an example of the turning point in anime history separating modern and classic anime.

Reasons
It is a harem anime, one of the first of its kind and look at all the harem anime that there are now, far more than the entire time period leading up to its creation.

Takes a lighter look at relationships than older series and proves that shounen anime can be romantic. Often in scifi shows like Macross and Gundam the romance was there to attract a certain demographic not as a prevelant theme in the story.

Animation style - greater use of digital animation and computer assisted reproduction of color, water, trees and backdrops. Almost all anime before it was completely hand drawn. If you look at shows like Bubblegum Crisis and Dominion Tank Police you can see the meticulous but slightly sketchy detail put in machines and structures that only the human hand can create.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
If it's good enough that I'd watch it more than 3 times (Elfen Lied: 6 times, Full Metal Panic: 4 times, School Rumble: 3 times, Azumanga Daioh: 3 times, Fullmetal Alchemist: 2 times but I want to watch it again, etc) then it's a classic for me. In my case, Evangelion is far from being a classic but I do make exceptions in order to make a more plausible definition that fits my tastes and the rest of the anime community. To me, being a "classic" has nothing to do with age at all. I'd still watch Elfen Lied for a 7th time; it's not like the 6th was when I said "enough".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2