• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Getting High and/or Drinking in anime!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
This is someething I have seen a few times. After watching Cowboy Bebop I began to wounderspoiler[the episode with the mushroom dealer and everyone starts triping off mushrooms] is this content realy apropriate to have kids watching? While I will admit I do get a good laught out of it most of the time, I still can't see how they alow these episodes, and actions, to be viewed by the audiences.

Consideriing that narcotics is illeagle prety much all over the world and they are showing people smoking week, drinking, taking mushrooms, or other fictional drugs. Isn't this a bad example to the younger audience?

While the drinking in anime I realy have no problems with due to the fact it is leagle at a certian age. There isn't much I can say about that subject, but feel free to tell me what you think about it.

*Thanks to all that post on this subject!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Cowboy Bebop was aimed at a younger audience. I don't really watch any of the shounen series aimed at children though so I wouldn't really know if they have any drug references in them either. I know some of them have alcohol and smoking in them though. It's just a different culture though, things like that are more acceptable to show in children's cartoons in Japan.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luminal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
This is someething I have seen a few times. After watching Cowboy Bebop I began to wounderspoiler[the episode with the mushroom dealer and everyone starts triping off mushrooms] is this content realy apropriate to have kids watching? While I will admit I do get a good laught out of it most of the time, I still can't see how they alow these episodes, and actions, to be viewed by the audiences.

Consideriing that narcotics is illeagle prety much all over the world and they are showing people smoking week, drinking, taking mushrooms, or other fictional drugs. Isn't this a bad example to the younger audience?

While the drinking in anime I realy have no problems with due to the fact it is leagle at a certian age. There isn't much I can say about that subject, but feel free to tell me what you think about it.

*Thanks to all that post on this subject!

I don't think seeing anime characters getting high on mushrooms will make kids want to go get mushrooms and get high as well. I believe it ultimately falls on the way the kids are being brought up by their parents.

Seeing Spike shooting and beating the crap out of bad guys or watching a samurai cut a person in half is not going to make a normal kid desire to become violently bloody. Likewise, watching anime characters get high and/or use drugs is not going to make them desire to do so either.

Luminal
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Ya, its pretty obvious that cowboy bebop isn't for a young audience, as for teens, they already know all about getting high and stuff, so its no biggy
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Well first of all Cowboy Bebop is not made specifically for kids, more for teens and above. Of all shounen stuff that I have seen, though it's not that big of a list, I really haven't seen any narcotic use in them. There's alcohol and tobacco use but those are legal after a certain age. But for shows like Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (the "sacred grass" episode Laughing ) that are not targeted at kids, I see no real problem to have illegal drug use in them.

And there are a ton of movies released where narcotic use is shown or even plays a part in the movie. Half-Baked is all about marijuana; Scarface has cocaine use, and there's more that I can't think of. Now these movies are 'R' rated so they're not being marketed to younger audiences, just like Cowboy Bebop.
huh?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
anime can't all be kid friendly. there is so much anime in so many different genres that it'd be impossible to make it all kid friendly. and anyway, drinking and drugs are far from the worst things that anime has to offer, theres violence, tons of fanservice, rape, and all the problems that life has to offer. compared to all that, drugs arent that bad. personally, i dont think they're bad at all.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
You should already know that one of the reasons anime is different from cartoons is that anime does not limit itself to just kids. Some anime are mature in content enough to be enjoyed by people as old as they get.

But besides that, which was my main point, there's also another thing to notice.

Do you notice the incredible amount of drinking/smoking/abusing drugs in not just movies but TV shows? Unlike anime, these are probably "subtle advertising" by tobacco and alcohol businesses to sell their product. It's also a stereotype that's not making a good impression on kids. One of the easiest examples are how the "badass" and "bad guys" of a typical superhero movie are either all smoking, drinking, or abusing drugs, or doing all three at once. They don't just sit there and look "bad" anymore. And most of them wear black leather jackets!
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
You should already know that one of the reasons anime is different from cartoons is that anime does not limit itself to just kids. Some anime are mature in content enough to be enjoyed by people as old as they get.

But besides that, which was my main point, there's also another thing to notice.

Do you notice the incredible amount of drinking/smoking/abusing drugs in not just movies but TV shows? Unlike anime, these are probably "subtle advertising" by tobacco and alcohol businesses to sell their product. It's also a stereotype that's not making a good impression on kids. One of the easiest examples are how the "badass" and "bad guys" of a typical superhero movie are either all smoking, drinking, or abusing drugs, or doing all three at once. They don't just sit there and look "bad" anymore. And most of them wear black leather jackets!

the matrix?
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't think those are called jackets... Aren't they more like coats? And the Smiths all wear suits...

I wonder why the Oracle smoked?
[Bond]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:

She enjoys the smooth flavour of fine tobaccos.

Also: Coke is it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
I don't think those are called jackets... Aren't they more like coats? And the Smiths all wear suits...

1) [insert deeply innapropriate racial statement here]

2) because smoking is cool Rolling Eyes

3) The smiths were also the coolest (in revolutions mind you)
huh?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
the oracle didn't smoke. none of it was real. they were in the matrix.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
huh? wrote:
the oracle didn't smoke. none of it was real. they were in the matrix.

yes, however (been a while so don't quote me on this) didn't the people's actions/lifestyles in the matrix mirror those that they had in their real lives?
huh?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
im no expert, although i just happened to watch it yesterday. peoples real lives are as "batteries" they are trapped in egg type things and everything occuring in the matrix is just basically happening in their brains. kind of like a dream.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
about the matrix comments - wow. Laughing

about the topic - sure, narcotics are illegal, but so is murder, and thats shown. Drugs are just a part of life, and have a place in anything that has people in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4