• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
If Bleach were licensed...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
It is inevitable that an anime as good as Bleach will eventually be licensed by an American company, but I am praying that this does not happen for at least another year, so that I may keep watching it in the form of fan-subs. Very Happy

But anyway, before Bleach is inevitably licensed, there are several questions that we must ask ourselves.

1. What company do we want to obtain the license to the series?
2. What special/extra features would we like to have on the DVD's?
3. Do we want the DVD to include dual audio tracks or only one audio track?
4. How many episodes do we want on each volume?
5. Will it be a hugely popular craze the way that Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon were several years ago and the way that Full Metal Alchemist is now?

If anyone can think of more questions, please let me know.

In response to my own questions:

1. I have no preference, as long as 4Kids does not obtain the rights to Bleach. They would ruin it the way that they have ruined Yu-Gi-Oh!
2. I would like special/extra features on each DVD such as a biography of Kubo Tite, the creator of the show, possibly information on the main charatcers of the show, and maybe a documentary or audio commentaries of some form.
3. I am not fond of English dubs, my experience with Yu-Gi-Oh! having caused me to become slightly biased aginst them, so I would pray that they include the original, uncut Japanese version along with an English version that has good voice acting and accurate subtitles.
4. The standard number of episodes for most anime series seems to be four episodes to a volume, so I would like the same for Bleach, with the occasional five episodes to a disc.
5. Finally, it is my personal opinion that Bleach will be as popular as the aforementioned animes, if not more so, because it can appeal to a wide range of audiences. It has all the action of DBZ with good plot twists and well-developed characters like Full Metal Alchemist, as well as occasional humor and romance. So I do not see how it will not be popular.

What is everyone else's opinion on this matter? What are your thoughts about Bleach being licensed?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
DemonDragonJ wrote:
so that I may keep watching it in the form of fan-subs. Very Happy

With a series that popular, don't expect fansubs to stop even for a license.

Quote:

I'm not sure about who I'd want to handle it, but I do know that the chances of it defaulting to VizMedia are insanely high. This could be a good or bad thing, I'm not sure.

Quote:

Doubtful we'll have any, really, since the R2s only come with things like clean OP/EDs and first-press items.

Quote:

As it's a recent show which will more than likely get cable syndication, it'll be in English at the very least, with a very high chance of it being bilingual.

Quote:

I'd prefer if it were done in 13-episode boxsets on a nice, quick schedule.

Quote:
5. Will it be a hugely popular craze the way that Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon were several years ago and the way that Full Metal Alchemist is now?

Well, FMA wasn't and isn't on the same level that Pokemon and DBZ were in it's heyday. Sure, it's got tweens and young adults somewhat hooked and has a decent internet/hot topic/adult swim (ish) following, but it's more of a "popular cult" thing than a fully-blown success. I'd expect it to be like the Yuyu Hakusho to Naruto's DBZ (in terms of success in the US).

Quote:
1. I have no preference, as long as 4Kids does not obtain the rights to Bleach. They would ruin it the way that they have ruined Yu-Gi-Oh!

Won't happen, because 4Kids already dropped the bomb as far as Shueisha are concerned, plus Shueisha have set up shop in the US.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
if i my pose my own question, who would you want to play the characters in bleach? i can't think of any but it depends on who gets it and where its recorded as well
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Viz. They seem to be more reliable than most, although I think Funi could also do a good job with the series.

Quote:

Don't really care. The only thing that would get me to buy the DVDs is if they were affordable, and extra features would likely cut into the pricepoint.

Quote:

Well, it would need Japanese audio. Byeond that I couldn't care less.

Quote:

As many as possible. At a $20 price point, perhaps 6 episodes or so?

Quote:

Probably, but that depends on marketing as much as anything else.
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
if I may pose my own question, who would you want to play the characters in bleach? i can't think of any but it depends on who gets it and where its recorded as well

If by that question you are asking which voice actors I would like to see providing the English voices, I am not certain. I admit that all anime that I have watched for the past year has been in the form of fan-subs, so I am not familiar with any current English voice actors. As long as they can alter their voices to sound as accurate as possible to the Japanese voice actors, I will be satisfied.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
What good does asking ourselves these questions do? Do US distribution companies actually check this thread and take heed of our opinions? It's not like my opinion will make you go "Oh, maybe that would be better" unless you forgot to think about it for yourself.

As for your (DemonDragonJ) response regarding question #5, I don't think anime will "appeal to a wide range of audiences" anytime soon in the US. The stereotype that anime is for kids and not for adults and not to mention the preference (and national hobby?) of watching football and other sports is just too strong of a tradition in the US to affect the older audience. And I've tried my share of trying to convert Americans into watching anime.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Check this thread for some other discussion on this matter:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20870

All eyes are looking at Viz for Bleach, since they have the connection to Shuueisha and a history of releasing long series (Maison Ikkoku, Ranma, Inuyasha, and now Naruto) I think that Funimation or ADV could do a decent job with it, although it's not quite ADV's style of show.

And what's with all the 4kids hysteria? Please, 4kids is not going to get Bleach. Every time some new popular show is on the verge of licensing, all the One Piece fanatics get paranoid and say "OMG what if 4kids gets Monster" or "OMG what if 4kids gets Blood+" Rolling Eyes

I'd like at least 4-5 episodes per volume, because 3 eps per disc will be expensive and take too long. Another option would be to wait for the season box sets, like with InuYasha.

I don't think you need to worry about being unable to watch it on fansub. Sure, at lease one group will drop it for sure, but since one of the groups subbing it has been subbing Naruto for a year since it was licensed, I think it's safe to say that we'll be able to keep watching this all-important filler arc Neutral

I'm betting on an announcement during the summer con season, maybe AnimeExpo.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
my bets are on Viz getting it. i predict it will be announced when adult swim nears the end of Inuyasha. if Funimation gets it, i'll be shocked. i'm fairly certian 4kids wont get it... but you never know.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
DemonDragonJ wrote:

The chances of Viz getting this are insanely high. Considering how Viz has done on Naruto, I think they would do a good job on Bleach. The only other company I can see doing this series is FUNImation and even then, the chances are slim.

Quote:

Anything the original Japanese DVDs had (like any Omake videos) and Clean OP/EDs. Liner notes would be great as well.

Quote:

Does this question really need to be asked? We want dual audio. Duh.

Quote:

Preferably 4 episodes per disc. 5 would be nice, but its not a realistic expectation.

Quote:

Probably not. It's already living in the shadow of Naruto. It will be what Yu Yu Hakusho was to DBZ.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I would prefer Funimation or Geneon actually, that way it's fairly certain to get a good dub performance. Although, Funi has a huge load of series already it's liscensed and Geneon doesn't normally do longer series like Bleach. VIZ has Naruto and they'll be busy with that for a while.

Quote:

Definitions of the terms, art galeries, Creditless Openings and Endings, and translations of any Japanese text on screen. Those ammusing little shorts at the end of the episodes too.

Quote:

Definitely, needs multiple audio options. I prefer them because of the simple fact I like choices and then there's more than one way to watch the series too. I can watch the original I love or the dub for something new. It also needs a 5.1 surround sound mix.

Quote:

The less number of discs I have to collect the better because I'm definitely going to own this one and it's going to be long. I would be happy with a 4-5 count but would prefer more.

Quote:

Hard to say, it's pretty popular in fansubs at the moment, but it's more difficult to predict how it will do on the markeet, objectively and unbiased anyway. I would think since it's already popular by word of mouth, and the internet it's going to have a fairly large fanbase comparable to that of Rurouni Kenshin or Yu Yu Hakusho's. A lot of the same people who enjoyed those will be, or are already, watching Bleach.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I think that Bleach will get a huge fanbase that will be bigger than yu yu kahusho. however, i think it misses some of the qualities that FMA and Kenshin has. DBZ and Pokemon hit it huge because it was the first. Now, the standard's been set, so it'll be very very hard for others to top it.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Since Viz will probably get this, it will not have subtitled songs, and possible the op/ed songs will be dubbed for the English audio stream so they won't have to subtitle them. There will probably be hard subs for signs as well, and unskippable opening previews for other creator related shows that they might have.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Since Viz will probably get this, it will not have subtitled songs, and possible the op/ed songs will be dubbed for the English audio stream so they won't have to subtitle them. There will probably be hard subs for signs as well, and unskippable opening previews for other creator related shows that they might have.

In Viz's defense, they did have subtitles for the songs in Video Girl Ai, and they eventually put them on there for Key the Metal Idol. Anyone else know of any Viz anime with song subtitles? (Ayashi no Ceres and Saikano do not have them, I know that much.)

As for extras, they should include at least some character profiles or just plain lists for the various Captains and Vice-Captains of Soul Society (once they get up that far), because they're hard to remember, and also names and translations of techniques. It wouldn't be hard to do this as a series of still gallery shots.

Unskippable opening previews can be bypassed--go into "Display" or something on your DVD remote and select a different title. You'll either be taken to the menu or some episode/extra clip, in which case you can get back to the menu easily. This worked for me for disc 2 or 3 of Kodocha, which has a long (2.5 min+) preview for Samurai 7. Sure, it's a great show, but I don't want to sit through previews for it every time, Funimation Twisted Evil
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:29 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
In Viz's defense, they did have subtitles for the songs in Video Girl Ai, and they eventually put them on there for Key the Metal Idol. Anyone else know of any Viz anime with song subtitles? (Ayashi no Ceres and Saikano do not have them, I know that much.)

Yeah, Ranma 1/2 had song subtitles. And now to those questions:

1.)I'm thinkin' Viz will get it, but I really don't care who does.

2.)Besides the basic textless opening/closing; I like editor's notes on cultural elements and the such, oh and commentary is fun to check out.

3.)Dual audio; not all English dubs are bad. And I view having both language options as getting 2 for the price of 1.

4.)3-4 would be fine; but I'd like the box sets.

5.)Hard to say; the manga's doing pretty well and there's already a huge fan base. I guess it would depend on if it's broadcasted on TV, which is possible.
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
I had been really curious about Bleach but after reading this thread, some of that hype machine glaze is starting to fade.

Is the show REALLY comparable to Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, and DBZ? I absolutely despise this type of anime and was under the impression that Bleach was something pretty special with deep character involvement etc? Am I just another victim to forum hype?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3