• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Doesn't Stroker and Hoop Classify as Anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to make a stroker and hoop fan website at www.StrokerAndHoop.org. I just wanted to write down a little something about why Stroker and Hoop is not anime. If anybody has some input I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks!
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote
uhh... what am i missing here? cause i have no idea where you're getting this.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:30 am Reply with quote
edgemonkey wrote:
I'm trying to make a stroker and hoop fan website at www.StrokerAndHoop.org. I just wanted to write down a little something about why Stroker and Hoop is not anime. If anybody has some input I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks!

Well, first is that Stroker and Hoop is not made in Japan, as far as I know. That is the biggest reason why it isn't anime.

Other than that, the animation style isn't anything close to the standards set forth in anime. If you watch any anime (Fullmetal Alchemist, Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop to name a few) you will quickly pick up on some common stylistic components that many anime share. Stroker and Hoop doesn't really share those components. (ie, clean, exact lines, large eyes for the main characters, typically realistic drawings of characters, attention to detail regarding clothing and how it moves on the bodies, etc.)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
Stroker and Hoop wasn't animated in Japan. There really isn't much more to it. Btw, even if S&H did have some anime traits in it, it wouldn't be anime.
edgemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote
Thanks, I've noticed those characteristics before, but couldn't quite exact them out. Sounds good. It'd be interesting to see what an anime version of stroker and hoop looked like Smile
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:47 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
Well, first is that Stroker and Hoop is not made in Japan, as far as I know. That is the biggest reason why it isn't anime.

That's actually the only reason needed.

totalgeek wrote:
(ie, clean, exact lines, large eyes for the main characters, typically realistic drawings of characters, attention to detail regarding clothing and how it moves on the bodies, etc.)

Really, all of that except for the big eyes in some cases can apply to American or any other type of animation too. The only qualification an animated film needs to be an anime is to be made in Japan, the rest is irrelevant.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quote
edgemonkey wrote:

Thanks!

Because it's 100% American.
For me to consider it to be anime, I would have to say that orginal idea or the creators need to japanese.

I would (grudgingly) still consider the new Genndy Tartakovsky ("The Powerpuff Girls") Astro Boy due to fact that it's his adpation of Osamu Tezuka's creation.
Even Voltron: The Third Dimension I would consider anime as the orginal creators are from japan.

However with Stroker And Hoop being " based on the original 70's hit series Starsky and Hutch", I would not consider it anime

totalgeek wrote:
Other than that, the animation style isn't anything close to the standards set forth in anime. If you watch any anime (Fullmetal Alchemist, Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop to name a few) you will quickly pick up on some common stylistic components that many anime share. Stroker and Hoop doesn't really share those components. (ie, clean, exact lines, large eyes for the main characters, typically realistic drawings of characters, attention to detail regarding clothing and how it moves on the bodies, etc.)
Watch DEAD LEAVES some time. It's from Japan, but it's different.
Like when i first saw it, i was under the impression that it was done by the same people that did Invader Zim.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:46 am Reply with quote
Anime, by definition, is an animation made in Japan. Even if an animation from elsewhere is based off of a Japanese animation, it still has to be made in Japan to be anime. So even if you consider the new Astro Boy to be an anime, it still is not by definition.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:53 am Reply with quote
Dead Leaves looks nothing like Invader Zim from that intro.

here's Zim, compare it to Dead Leaves...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=318472159434555800&q=invader+zim
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Digital Dreamer wrote:

Because it's 100% American.
For me to consider it to be anime, I would have to say that orginal idea or the creators need to japanese.

My position on what classifies as anime has changed. I agree now that it has to be made in Japan but I still don't think the creators have to be Japanese. It's rare but there are animes that are made by non-Japanese. There's a manga and anime called Shin Angyo Onshi. It's made by a Korean guy and I heard that it deals more with Korean culture but it counts as an anime since it was done in Japan. The manga runs in a Japanese magazine. It's probably the only manga/anime that's not done by a Japanese.

Last edited by Animefan16 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
It's rare but there are animes that are made by Japanese. There's a manga and anime called Shin Angyo Onshi. It's made by a Korean guy and I heard that it deals more with Korean culture but it counts as an anime since it was done in Japan.

And I would like to add I watched the movie and it was great. It's a shame very few people have seen it. I never knew it was made by a Korean guy though, even though it does mention that the original name was Shin Amen Osa (I think). Nevertheless I thought it was and I would defintely consider it anime even though the creator wasn't Japanese. However...if it doesn't come from at least east asia I wouldn't consider it anime.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

hahaha this reminds me of the "anime" section of my local blockbuster... it has invader zim in it
Puppy Puncher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

hahaha this reminds me of the "anime" section of my local blockbuster... it has invader zim in it

Invader Zim shows up a lot in anime sections in a bunch of stores like FutureShop, Best Buy, HMV. The same can be said for Happy Tree Friends. I don't know why.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Does a big blockbuster movie have to come from Hollywood to be considered such? Does a rapper have to be from the hood to be recognized as such? Do Ren style paintings have to come from Europe? Does a barn have to red to be considered a barn (ref: Dude Where's my Car)?

If I create an anime do I have to go to Japan and hire random Japanese people to earn my otaku street cred?

I really don't think an anime has to be made in Japan or come from there to be considered to be an anime. Anime is an art style that can be duplicated (or imitated) by non- Japanese/asian folk anywhere. It's not like the mind of a non japanese man can't comprehend creating an anime. Great cases in point: Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Boondocks, and other stuff I can't think of right now.

Invader Zim and Stroker and Hoop are definilty not in any anime catagory.

Now Japanese Anime is different...it must be associated with Japan.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
My position on what classifies as anime has changed. I agree now that it has to be made in Japan but I still don't think the creators have to be Japanese.
So lets take the simpsons.
Currently Fox is outsorcing a studio in Korea. Now lets say that the Fox changes there mind at the end of the contract, and moves the animation over to Japan. Would that make the SIMPSONS an ANIME?

Puppy Puncher wrote:
Invader Zim shows up a lot in anime sections in a bunch of stores like FutureShop, Best Buy, HMV. The same can be said for Happy Tree Friends. I don't know why.
I don't expect much from staff that are just there to collect their hourly rate. Given the chance, they would stick FRITZ THE CAT in the anime section too as it's a cartoon that contain sex and nudity.
Lost count the number of times I have seen Heavy Metal 2000 in the anime section.

Over all, I blame the past western immaturity that cartoons are just for kids attitude for that. However, at this stage I am not expecting HMV just to make another section just for animation that is not from Japan and that is not ment for kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5